• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

One Fast Dude

Wanabe Jarhead

I have a copy of the Sports Illustrated Olympic edition with Kip Keino on the cover and Congressman Jim Ryun's signature on it. I also have a signed poster of Roger Bannister- the first man to break the 4 minute mile.

The name Billy Mills should really mean something to EVERY Marine. Billy Mills is the ONLY American to EVER win the Olympic 10k Gold. He is a former United States Marine. I have a pair of racing flats signed by him.

BillyMills-1964GoldMedalFinish.gif

jfulginiti

pilot
None
Ok, North American record is the official word. And it was previously held by a Mexican, so it's open in that regard. Has to be on American (North American) soil. As far as him being white - why'd they make a movie called "white men can't jump"? Well it so happens, in long distance running, with the exception of a few Morrocans the titles and records are usually swept by native Kenyans and Ethiopians. Not white American kids from California. Plain and simple - if you want to read derogatory racial slants into it, that's your perogative..;)

A Kenyan still can't break the North American record.

RogersSP

A few notes...
First off, your right, ryan hall shouldn't be compared with jim ryun, alan webb should, when alan was in high school he ran a 3:53 mile, shattering ryun's record.
Secondly, Lance's 2:59 was pathetic considering Dean Karnazes ran a 3:00 in the same race, after running 49 other marathons the 49 days before that, then ran another 100 miles the day after the NYC Marathon.
If you want to see something crazy watch the WR Video for the 10K of Kenenisa Bekele, he averaged 4:12 for 6.2 Miles.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Secondly, Lance's 2:59 was pathetic...

I get what you're saying about Dean, but I don't know about 2:59 being pathetic... If I had gone out and run a sub 3-hour FIRST marathon I don't think I would be able to fit my head through the door of the bar that night.

thull

I get what you're saying about Dean, but I don't know about 2:59 being pathetic... If I had gone out and run a sub 3-hour FIRST marathon I don't think I would be able to fit my head through the door of the bar that night.

Agree...Lance was never out to break any running records. anyone with experience in both cycling and running knows that the two sports are completely different and don't transfer over to eachother at all. climbers (ie mountain goats) on the bike can have success running and vice versa, but Armstrong was an overall monster on the bike. Also was running NYC with a stress fracture. Anyway, tons of respect for the guy. I'm sure he'll do better this coming year, but he'll never be in contention for a top spot in the marathon. I think at best he might go sub 2:50. triathlon though? lots of people hoping he returns to his triathlon roots, but he claims he's not interested..

schwarti

Contributor
A kid (16 or 17 years old)in orange county ran about 150 miles for charity in 2 days. His goal was 200 in 2 days but gave up due to foot pain. Isnt there a limit to what the body can do before it shuts down? I have heard of people dying after running marathons. I know Forrest Gump can run across the country multilple times but a 200 mile goal seems dangerous.

If you're not properly trained, yeah, you can die after a marathon. Like the guy who ran from Marathon to Athens in the Persian Wars - he runs back from the battle at Marathon to tell everyone that the Athenians beat the heck out of the Persians. He gets there, shouts "Nike!" (Victory) and collapses, dead. Or so the story goes.

schwarti

Contributor
That special on the 300 on the History channel was good for something, I guess. Still haven't seen the movie yet.