• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OHARP Information 2022

Dboom85

Banned
With OHARP projecting to be 12 months or more, does this mean recent OCS grads would be able to start working on a masters while they do OHARP? And a follow up question, for the GI bill to apply would you need to have served for some number of years?

villo0692

Who keeps saying OHARP’s gonna be a year long? Seriously, the wait rn for SNAs is not that long. Also, you have to do NAMI, Indoc, Swim and physio, plus the new JO course…that alone is like 5-6 months out of your wait time. And you need at least a year in to start your GI bill, but its only gonna cover like 40% or so, you need 36 months of active duty time to get 100%.

luckynumbr27

Use tuition assistance for you Masters while active. Don’t waste your GI bill while you’re on AD, you’re effectively losing your MHA since you’re already getting BAH on AD.

Mouselovr

Contributor
With OHARP projecting to be 12 months or more, does this mean recent OCS grads would be able to start working on a masters while they do OHARP? And a follow up question, for the GI bill to apply would you need to have served for some number of years?
Can't speak on TA or GI Bill, but I've been in A Pool for my share of time. I will be classing up shortly after the new year. I started working on my masters degree right after checking in and paying out of pocket. I found a reasonably priced degree and its been super easy to overload every semester and balance my stash job/ social activities. I would *highly* recommend anyone with a substantial wait time to start a master's degree.

Doback

Can't speak on TA or GI Bill, but I've been in A Pool for my share of time. I will be classing up shortly after the new year. I started working on my masters degree right after checking in and paying out of pocket. I found a reasonably priced degree and its been super easy to overload every semester and balance my stash job/ social activities. I would *highly* recommend anyone with a substantial wait time to start a master's degree.
What are you getting your degree in?

Jstalz

If you don't end up in OHARP, what's the alternative time frame? Is it that you have a few days to get down to Pensacola and settle in and then you're waiting there a few months to start NIFE?

Mouselovr

Contributor
If you don't end up in OHARP, what's the alternative time frame? Is it that you have a few days to get down to Pensacola and settle in and then you're waiting there a few months to start NIFE?
Rumor mill is that they have stopped/limited OHARP coming straight out of OCS.

However, if you aren't offered OHARP, you have a couple of days to get down to Pensacola after graduating/ escaping Newport.
Once you check into Pensacola, there are ~3 weeks of check in and water survival followed by stash jobs and a junior officer course for 3 + months. Depending on a lot of factors, they might keep you busy or you might do nothing for months waiting to class up. Right as I left Pensacola a couple months back, a new check in told me she was expecting an 8 month wait....

Jstalz

Rumor mill is that they have stopped/limited OHARP coming straight out of OCS.

However, if you aren't offered OHARP, you have a couple of days to get down to Pensacola after graduating/ escaping Newport.
Once you check into Pensacola, there are ~3 weeks of check in and water survival followed by stash jobs and a junior officer course for 3 + months. Depending on a lot of factors, they might keep you busy or you might do nothing for months waiting to class up. Right as I left Pensacola a couple months back, a new check in told me she was expecting an 8 month wait....
Oh wow. I kinda liked the idea of OHARP just because it would give me sometime to get ready for the move to Pensacola and spend sometime with the fam. Seems like a few days to get down to Pensacola, find housing, and (in my case) buy a new car is tight.

space_sailor

Oh wow. I kinda liked the idea of OHARP just because it would give me sometime to get ready for the move to Pensacola and spend sometime with the fam. Seems like a few days to get down to Pensacola, find housing, and (in my case) buy a new car is tight.
AFAIK, OHARP is no longer being offered once you graduate OCS.

I know of one person who asked for OHARP once he got down here and was given it AFTER he finished all his preliminaries for NIFE and had a ready to go number.

The officer in charge of A Pool has helped aviators to move their stuff down here by getting them TAD orders to move (though it’s possible that was only one OCS class that thought they would have OHARP orders and then got the rug pulled out from under them). I would not bank on this as an option tho.

(Also, through Navy Fed you can get a $25k career starter loan at like 3% apr to buy a car or do what you want with)

esmbenbenek

I was told by someone who recently graduated OCS that people were getting report dates a week or two after OCS graduation. Is this true? I was hoping to help my wife move and to drive our car down to Pensacola.