• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

officer retention

Fist Mollusk

Folks,

I am looking for some assistance on research toward why officers choose to leave the Navy, specifically the aviation community.

This can be word from your squadron mates who have left, why you are leaving, or what you think affects this most.

I have heard optempo, cash, family, job satisfaction, leadership, etc.

Thanks,
yut

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
I didn't choose. As then Secnav said, he was "rightsizing..." But to be perfectly honest I think I may have left anyway and I would guess that reason may have been job satisfaction. Not that this is always the case but so many guys end up in some boring desk job and do little if any flying. What a waste of talent. There are plenty of folks to do the admin stuff. We're supposed to be AIR WARRIORS, not desk warriors.

Lucky for me, my current job is low on paperwork and high on flying. It all worked out.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
There are as many reasons why people leave as there are people who leave...
I'll bet if you took a survey of 100 people who got out before their 20 years was up, you'd find 100 different reasons.
Some of the ones I personally saw included a very highly qualified and motivated USNR officer who was told that he wouldn't be offered orders, then the Navy gave him orders to a place they knew he would turn down so they wouldn't have to pay him severance.
Some folks just decide that being a Naval officer just isn't for them (a detailer's remark of "have you ever thought of doing something else?" may have entered into the equation... to go with that "lower 50%" FitRep)
Sometimes the local command environment forces people out. Talk to someone who was at NAS Miramar in the late '70s under the reign of RADM Fellows for specific info... also the airlines were hiring like crazy then and the Reserves were a very sweet deal.
Some decide that family is more important than flying, and that being away really sucks... so much so that they will give up the Navy for a stable home life.
Bottom line... it just ain't for everyone.
The list of reasons is truly endless.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Husband and his peer group are all in that window where their first commitments are up. Of those we know (and there are many!) that are getting out, I've heard the following reasons:

More money in the civilian world
Tired of the the lack of freedom and control
mediocre Fitreps make good orders and career advancement unlikely

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Call NPS...people do Masters level work on that topic.

corvairdroptop

I think this will become an increasingly important question.

The current commissioning generation (born in the 1980s) will contrast more with their private sector counterparts than ever. There seems to be much more job liquidity in the world and they are likely to have more opportunities available as they leave the Navy. For those with the 4-year SWO commitment, this has probably always been the case. For those that decide to leave after a 10-year commitment, this could be a very relevant trend. The average business/law student is older -- further evidence that a decade of work doesn't preclude someone from picking another career more easily.

This is an interesting issue in context of the retirement system. The DoD's plan may encourage some people to stay; however, I don't think it convinces many officer candidates to join, especially considering the prevalence of defined contribution plans. Changing the system may make it easier to leave, but it also may be beneficial in acquiring good personnel for a ten year commitment.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think this will become an increasingly important question.

The current commissioning generation (born in the 1980s) will contrast more with their private sector counterparts than ever. There seems to be much more job liquidity in the world and they are likely to have more opportunities available as they leave the Navy. For those with the 4-year SWO commitment, this has probably always been the case. For those that decide to leave after a 10-year commitment, this could be a very relevant trend. The average business/law student is older -- further evidence that a decade of work doesn't preclude someone from picking another career more easily.

This is an interesting issue in context of the retirement system. The DoD's plan may encourage some people to stay; however, I don't think it convinces many officer candidates to join, especially considering the prevalence of defined contribution plans. Changing the system may make it easier to leave, but it also may be beneficial in acquiring good personnel for a ten year commitment.

But what about the current commissioning trend of too many people selecting SWO and those at the bottom of the SWO pile being "encouraged" to select NFO? That suggests to me that more people are looking for the quickest way out of the Navy. I think my current commissioning class reflects this attitude- of the 14 of us I'd say only 2 are thinking right now they'd like to make the Navy a career. Even the ones in my class going aviation or subs with a longer commitment think they don't want to do more than the minimum. I think it will be interesting to see what happens with the commissioning classes of these recent years in 5 years down the road.

Fist Mollusk

Hh-60

I did ask my squadron. thanks for that fantastic suggestion...I am trying to get a larger cross section, and from different branches of aviation.

Just to clarify for all, I am doing masters research here. I am a prowler NFO coming up on my commitment, and this is a topic many of us are dealing with. Thanks for all the answers.

yut

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I think my current commissioning class reflects this attitude- of the 14 of us I'd say only 2 are thinking right now they'd like to make the Navy a career.

Just food for thought, but I know several senior officers who said they initially had no intention of making the Navy a career.

phrogpilot73

For me, it was not an easy decision to make. I loved being a Marine and loved flying. However, my wife was on active duty in the Navy, and co-location in the same service is difficult. In a different service it's damn near impossible. I had the creme-de-la-creme of orders on the table for a Phrog guy, but it would mean 3 more years of geo-bacheloring. PSW wasn't eligible to get out, because she still owed them time for her lat-move. In the end, after many days and nights of discussing it, I decided to get out. I don't regret my decision, and once I'm back in the Reserves the sting will lessen. Truthfully, the PERSTEMPO was pretty high too, and it was wearing me out - so it made it a little easier to decide.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
At some point in '97 or so when I was at NSAWC, a survey asking the same question was put out...don't know who did it.

The largest %age of answers revovled around maintenance/money and leadership issues. As I recall, few guys were quitting because of better salary at the airlines.

I suspect many of the dynamics present then have changed for todays Aviators.

KBayDog

Usmc Officer Retention Survey

/Slight threadjack, though related to the OP:

The other day, the USMC Officer Retention Survey was released. All officers are encouraged to participate. I am a little ways away from leaving the Corps, but the survey questions were certainly thought-provoking.

FWIW, the Enlisted Retention Survey is available at the same site. Again, all enlisted Marines are encouraged to participate.

/end jack

phrogpilot73

/Slight threadjack, though related to the OP:

The other day, the USMC Officer Retention Survey was released. All officers are encouraged to participate. I am a little ways away from leaving the Corps, but the survey questions were certainly thought-provoking.

FWIW, the Enlisted Retention Survey is available at the same site. Again, all enlisted Marines are encouraged to participate.

/end jack
Interesting... They should really be asking those of us that got out, WHY we got out... I don't remember anything official being asked of me. That's why everyone keeps scratching their heads, because their statistical data is screwy. In addition to guys that are getting out, they are getting responses from guys who have never thought about it, as well as guys who have drank the Kool-Aid.