• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS - IFS - API Timeline

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Pike.. so you just headed down to Pcola after commissioning in April and had roughly 2 month break? Just curious. Talked to my recruiter yesterday and he was still guesstimating I wouldn't start down in Pensacola till at least July (start OCS 20 FEB). I know its kind of like reading tea leaves... just trying to get an idea of what my upcoming year is gonna look like. Which kind of segways to my next question: after being down there for the better part of a year, would you think there is any merit to making some arrangements in Pensacola BEFORE heading to Newport?

First of all, segway is a two-wheeled vehicle. The word you're looking for is "Segue".

Second, synix is right on. Stop worrying about step 47. Right now focus on OCS. it will be your WORLD when you get there. You won't be able to imagine life next week, forget about "making arrangements" in Pcola. There will be PLENTY of time to do that at the end of OCS. It's just practice for the MANY PCS's you will do in the military.

Hail

81montedriver,

I apologize for the rude and unnecessary response. It wont happen again.

For all,

I appreciate the criticism and tips, and I also appreciate and respect your service to this country. I apologize for not showing that respect.

bigfish

I can always fall back on my SAW skills
pilot
would you think there is any merit to making some arrangements in Pensacola BEFORE heading to Newport?
Not just no but hell fuck no. Take Otto, and Synix's advice and worry about OCS. There will be plenty of time to worry about finding a house later. Also some great deals can open up at the last minute. A few friends and I got a condo on the beach in Destin where we were doing IFS, I still count those days as some of the most fun I've ever had and we never would have been able to afford that place if we hadn't walked in when they happened to have availability.

A

AlexSmart

First of all, segway is a two-wheeled vehicle. The word you're looking for is "Segue".
(A grammar Nazi gets a dose of his own medicine, hangs head in shame).

Thanks for the gouge, fellas. Obviously Newport is the big #1 right now. Just curious how the pipeline is moving.

Falker

Not Air Force
Pike.. so you just headed down to Pcola after commissioning in April and had roughly 2 month break? Just curious. Talked to my recruiter yesterday and he was still guesstimating I wouldn't start down in Pensacola till at least July (start OCS 20 FEB). I know its kind of like reading tea leaves... just trying to get an idea of what my upcoming year is gonna look like. Which kind of segways to my next question: after being down there for the better part of a year, would you think there is any merit to making some arrangements in Pensacola BEFORE heading to Newport?

Like everyone has said, there are way too many variables to start planning ahead of graduation. Before OCS, I was the healthiest I had ever been but was almost derailed by NAMI. You never really know what's going to happen. Who knows, you could shatter a femur and be sent home. Wouldn't be a good situation if you signed a lease in Pensacola. I would suggest starting to look for housing during Candi-O phase with the new friends you've acquired.

ba3816

I graduated OCS Oct 22 2010 and had over a month and a half to report but I reported Thursday after graduation and it took six weeks to class up. Now I am halfway through.

Lobster

I reported on the 3rd of Jan and classed up for IFS on the 29th. They are pushing pilots through faster and have doubled the API class sizes. All of this, of course, is subject to change.

beaverslayer

pilot
I reported December 1, classed up for IFS on January 3, and I should be classing up for API within the next two weeks. Like lobster said, classes are way bigger because they need more pilots down the pipeline. If you're an SNFO it could be a completely different story.

nugget61

pilot
When y'all say the classes are double the size, about how large are they now? When I went through a few months back they were ~30, however a class of 12 did slip through not too far behind me.
It wasn't asked, but Whiting isn't stashing Ensigns either, only about 2-3 weeks waiting. All the 2Lts I've talked to have spent a good bit of time waiting, however.

beaverslayer

pilot
Did you complete DIVOLC at any point between those?

I did two days of DIVOLC, and then they pulled me out to class up for IFS. And as of today, DIVOLC isn't a requirement, it's a "nice to have." If they have the option of classing you up for DIVOLC or API at this point, you're going straight to API.

beaverslayer

pilot
When y'all say the classes are double the size, about how large are they now? When I went through a few months back they were ~30, however a class of 12 did slip through not too far behind me.
It wasn't asked, but Whiting isn't stashing Ensigns either, only about 2-3 weeks waiting. All the 2Lts I've talked to have spent a good bit of time waiting, however.

I just classed up today, and I didn't get an exact number but it was at least 50, maybe 55 or so.