• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS - IFS - API Timeline

Hail

I'm curious to hear from those who have gone through OCS and their timeline once commissioned...

How soon did you need to report and when exactly did IFS and API start for you? Is there a typical amount of time in between commissioning and IFS or API (if IFS not necessary) or does it fluctuate for everyone?

Thanks

bigfish

I can always fall back on my SAW skills
pilot
I assume your lack of mention of TBS means you are asking fort the navy side, which is really the same once you're at flight school, it took me just shy of two years from showing up in P-cola to winging. It fluxuates alot though, depends on which service is hurting or fat on pilots, how you are doing, weather...especially if you are waiting for your aero solo and it is thunderstorm season. But I think two yearsish is a decent average.

Falker

Not Air Force
I'm curious to hear from those who have gone through OCS and their timeline once commissioned...

How soon did you need to report and when exactly did IFS and API start for you? Is there a typical amount of time in between commissioning and IFS or API (if IFS not necessary) or does it fluctuate for everyone?

Thanks

If you're asking specifically for OCS through API, I started OCS 24 Jan 10, reported to IFS in July, and classed up for API a day after I completed IFS. I finished API in mid-October. In total around 9 months.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It changes, and is very cyclical. I had about 5 days from when I commissioned to class up at API (I skipped IFS). Others wait 9 months. Who knows. All in all, I took 19 months from commission to wings. Had I not waited to class up for Advanced, I'd have showed up to my fleet squadron as an ENS.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Falker and I were in the same OCS class. I got down here in late April about a week after commissioning.

I started IFS in July. API in September (due to orders issues) and finished at the end of October, also 2 weeks after Falker finished.

As Otto said, its cyclical and depends on a number of factors. As of late, the wait has been anything from 2 weeks to a month to start IFS and then API usually right after that.

Hail

First, thanks for the answers.

Second, 81montedriver,

By asking that question you are implying that there is in fact another thread similar to this one and rather than providing that thread you chose to both waste your time as well as mine with your question. To benefit everyone it would be better for you to provide that thread if there is such a thread so that A) I can determine whether or not I should delete this thread and B) save time for others instead of them wasting time responding to a repeat thread. Food for thought...

GreenLantern330

First, thanks for the answers.

Second, 81montedriver,

By asking that question you are implying that there is in fact another thread similar to this one and rather than providing that thread you chose to both waste your time as well as mine with your question. To benefit everyone it would be better for you to provide that thread if there is such a thread so that A) I can determine whether or not I should delete this thread and B) save time for others instead of them wasting time responding to a repeat thread. Food for thought...

First off, you don't have the power to delete a thread. Only a mod can. Second, see those wings under his name? That means he's a winged officer, show some respect. Third, use the search function. Had you done that before posting this thread it would not have been an issue.

81montedriver

pilot
hahahaha you must be new here. Get ready to get a lot more shit, and not from me. So listen up you piece of shit, I've got questions for you too. Did it ever occur to you that a forum as large and well established as this one might have discussed this at least once in the last ten years? Why the fuck didn't YOU search for it?

Second, did it ever occur to you that since I do have those shiny gold things under my name that my work schedule might prevent me from putting in the time to find it?

If I were you I would stay quiet around here for a while because your previous rude and mostly disrespectful post will get you banned from here.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
hahahaha you must be new here.

Four months on this site he must have been A.) lurking or B.) I don't know but either way I am sure he knows what is expected of him by now (after your post). Otherwise, he will get with the program shortly when he hits OCS in a few months.

Did it ever occur to you that a forum as large and well established as this one might have discussed this at least once in the last ten years? Why the fuck didn't YOU search for it?

Well he opened this thread in the API section... One would have thought to look in this thread first (see below). I even opened it up to a page in which someone on post 344 even mentions the wait time that was being observed just a couple of months ago (funny that was the first page I opened). ;)

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php/14323-The-basics-of-API/page18

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor

Thanks

Hail, I'm going to go on a limb and give you some words of advice and caution, mainly because I feel like you need it, but also because your name and location make me think you're either alumni from or are at least a fan of the University of Michigan, which is also my alma mater (GO BLUE!!), so I want to try:

Airwarriors works like this. To get respect and help around here you have to earn it. This is not a normal internet forum run by a bunch of geeky world of warcraft players who talk shit from behind the safety of their computer in their mom's basement. As you've obviously been introduced to now, every user with wings under their name has earned them in real life. They are either current active duty or retired Officers....but that doesn't matter, they're still Officers.

The vast majority of all of these guys and girls are more than willing to offer advice, guidance, mentorship to an extent, and as well will call you on your bullshit in good fun. Also if you step out of your lane, they'll quickly remedy that and put you back. Realize it and learn from your mistake, apologize, and move on. No harm no foul. It is NOT a good idea AT ALL to make posts with the type of condescending tone that you have previously directed above. You will get jumped on so fast its not even funny. You think you're anonymous on here, but you are most certainly not. Many of these guys and girls, you could be walking or interfacing with everyday in the squadron and never even know it. Also many of these guys are deployed and/or extremely busy as it is as well. The same respect you'd give if you saw them in person and they outranked you, goes for on here too....

You don't have to kiss anyone's ass, but the quickest way off of here is to keep posting things like you did above. Do yourself a favor from here on....this website is an excellent resource and you can make friends that on here as well and get a chance to converse with Officers who are more senior than you and who have "been there and done that" and they're happy to share their experience and advice....especially if you figure out that you can meet up with them in person at a local O-club or on base somewhere. With that, I'd take precautions how you say things until you've "established" yourself around here. Click on profiles and read the bios of certain guys on here....

This website is not run by a bunch of officer candidates or even O-1s. You're trying to get into the fraternity that is Naval Aviation, that all of us such as myself are working hard to become a part of and guys like you are just in the beginning stages of trying to even be accepted to...

Take that advice and lurk some more. You'll learn at OCS.....when you're the FNG (Fucking New Guy), the best approach to take is "Ears Open. Mouth Shut."

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
I can't answer your question yest, but I promise I'll post an update once I'm finished with OCS in July and have moved down to Pcola. Also, I'd listen to some of the responses this thread has received :D.

A

AlexSmart

I got down here in late April about a week after commissioning.... I started IFS in July. API in September (due to orders issues) and finished at the end of October... As of late, the wait has been anything from 2 weeks to a month to start IFS and then API usually right after that.

Pike.. so you just headed down to Pcola after commissioning in April and had roughly 2 month break? Just curious. Talked to my recruiter yesterday and he was still guesstimating I wouldn't start down in Pensacola till at least July (start OCS 20 FEB). I know its kind of like reading tea leaves... just trying to get an idea of what my upcoming year is gonna look like. Which kind of segways to my next question: after being down there for the better part of a year, would you think there is any merit to making some arrangements in Pensacola BEFORE heading to Newport?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Pike.. so you just headed down to Pcola after commissioning in April and had roughly 2 month break? Just curious. Talked to my recruiter yesterday and he was still guesstimating I wouldn't start down in Pensacola till at least July (start OCS 20 FEB). I know its kind of like reading tea leaves... just trying to get an idea of what my upcoming year is gonna look like. Which kind of segways to my next question: after being down there for the better part of a year, would you think there is any merit to making some arrangements in Pensacola BEFORE heading to Newport?

Whatever the word is now, it will probably change. Focus on OCS, don't worry about shit in PCola just yet. Way too many things can happen between now and then man. When you're getting close to being done in Newps, start chekcing out the stuff here on where to live in PCola (if single SNA, reccomend Perdido Key or Downtown, depending on your social tastes). Maybe do a little house hunting online, or even better have someone show you around when you get there. Find a place quickly and settle in for whatever the ride will be.