• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Attrition

Renegade One

None
I'd like to throw in my two cents on the issue of attrition, facing the unknown, and doubts though off the bat I can only offer the perspective of a lowly non-prior OCS hopeful.
Young Dmitriy seems to be coming at this with his young head screwed on pretty straight, and with an honest assessment of "fear of the unknown".

He knows how to push a noun against a verb [e.g., he can write well…]. That doesn't suck.
He's honest, both with himself and with all of the rest of us, none of whom he actually knows. That doesn't suck either.
I think The Force is Strong in this one...;)

Dmitriy

He knows how to push a noun against a verb [e.g., he can write well…].

Thanks for the kind words Renegade. This is the second time you've praised my writing, and, at the risk of becoming known as an upjumped smart arse, I'd like to give you a small nugget of my skill (a.k.a. grammage): e.g. = "for example," i.e. = "meaning."
post-11062-There-are-so-many-grammar-Nazi-CPw1.png

Renegade One

None
Thanks for the kind words Renegade. This is the second time you've praised my writing, and, at the risk of becoming known as an upjumped smart arse, I'd like to give you a small nugget of my skill (a.k.a. grammage): e.g. = "for example," i.e. = "meaning."
What if I actually meant "For example"? Would you then be hoist on your own petard?

Learn to take compliments that may come your way humbly and without comment.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I have gotten feedback. Surprisingly it was Med DQ at all. Many folks simply quit within the first or second day because they had a change of heart. There have also been stories of people driving xcountry to OCS and quitting before arriving in Newport.

Really? NAMI has been totally horrible lately. My class lost 4 of 10 SNAs to the whammy, including one is still up there (we graduated in May). None DORed though. I can't say the same about the classes after me, who I met when I was in student pool redesignating. More DORs there as they were in a "go SWO or go home" situation. Does your data discriminate between people who were NPQed from the Navy and those who DOR because they lost flight status? I recall one DOR in student pool saying he was NPQed from SNA on medical monday and just said to hell with it. It just seems to me (anecdotal yes, but I spent a lot of the summer in student pool) that I recall way more medical issue folks of one type or another than DORs.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
It just seems to me (anecdotal yes, but I spent a lot of the summer in student pool) that I recall way more medical issue folks of one type or another than DORs.
I saw one DOR in our class and two DOR's in H-Class before that, none of whom were due to medical issues. Only one of them was a pilot (Intel and some sort of Nuke, if I remember right).
Wait, I lied, there was another DOR by a guy who got NPQ'ed as a pilot way late in the game (he got stuck in student pool after graduation).

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I saw one DOR in our class and two DOR's in H-Class before that, none of whom were due to medical issues. Only one of them was a pilot (Intel and some sort of Nuke, if I remember right).
Wait, I lied, there was another DOR by a guy who got NPQ'ed as a pilot way late in the game (he got stuck in student pool after graduation).

Intel eh? Now I know where my slot came from. In student pool we used to joke that we should go murder the kids with designators we wanted so that we'd get their slots "No chief, no one in sierra papa knows anything about that blood soaked and torn poopy suit they found behind the chow hall..."

Now that you mention H-class....

Wasn't it also the case that OCS used to take a new class every week or two instead of a big class every three weeks, and thus getting rolled was a significantly shorter wait time? And with H-class being a lot bigger back in the day according to my instructors, I can't help but wonder if it seemed to be less of a big deal to roll. Can't help but wonder how much of an effect those would be. Then again, if 2 weeks in H-class vice 3 weeks is the difference between a DOR and a commission, it is probably for the best that they quit. I never got rolled, but having a lot of friends and family that went to the various service academies, three weeks in H-class just never seemed like a huge deal to me.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
When I attended, there was generally a new class every two weeks.

I actually arrived at the beginning of a trial of having a weekly class. Anyone who rolled went to the class 2 weeks behind anyway (which was a good thing since the black ninja's class was one week behind).

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Intel eh? Now I know where my slot came from. In student pool we used to joke that we should go murder the kids with designators we wanted so that we'd get their slots "No chief, no one in sierra papa knows anything about that blood soaked and torn green coveralls they found behind the chow hall..."
Fixed for the political correctness nazis who now forbid the use of terms like poopy suits, bag nasties, gargoyles, and whiteboards. But you probably didn't get her spot, she dropped in like March.

Wasn't it also the case that OCS used to take a new class every week or two instead of a big class every three weeks, and thus getting rolled was a significantly shorter wait time? And with H-class being a lot bigger back in the day according to my instructors, I can't help but wonder if it seemed to be less of a big deal to roll. Can't help but wonder how much of an effect those would be. Then again, if 2 weeks in H-class vice 3 weeks is the difference between a DOR and a commission, it is probably for the best that they quit. I never got rolled, but having a lot of friends and family that went to the various service academies, three weeks in H-class just never seemed like a huge deal to me.
Yeah, that was our attitude, if you can't handle waiting three more weeks when most of us are looking at 8-10 year commitments, might as well pack your bags. The intel one, I think she would've dropped whether she rolled or not, she was just having a problem coping with the lifestyle at OCS and maybe being separated from her family (so I guess it's good that she found that out before she got deployed or something).

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Fixed for the political correctness nazis who now forbid the use of terms like poopy suits, bag nasties, gargoyles, and whiteboards. But you probably didn't get her spot, she dropped in like March.

In terms of FY numbers, I may have.

When I attended, there was generally a new class every two weeks.

Even though I've seen your avatar 1000 times before, for some reason I read this part of the post as if it were written by the most interesting man in the world.

"He was the only candidate to be rolled forward a class...."

Renegade One

None
...More DORs there as they were in a "go SWO or go home" situation. ...
The Force was not strong in these…

I do not recall that "Go SWO" was offered as an option in the old AOCS days. May have been…I just never remember hearing about it. I can name one good friend who would have jumped at that off-ramp. He was just sent home.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
The Force was not strong in these…

I do not recall that "Go SWO" was offered as an option in the old AOCS days. May have been…I just never remember hearing about it. I can name one good friend who would have jumped at that off-ramp. He was just sent home.

Did you guys have flight physicals prior to going to AOCS?

BlkPny

pilot
When I went through AOCS DORs went straight to Great Lakes for Navy boot camp, then out into the fleet as an enlisted E-1.
We all had taken (and passed) complete flight physicals back at whatever Naval Stations prior to signing up. Once in Pensacola, after about three days in Indoc, with little or no sleep, shot nerves, and total confusion, we all went to NAMI, and the dreaded vision test. All the SNAs that failed were automatically redesignated as SNFOs. I don't remember any other choices.