• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Attrition

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
words words words
Fair enough, and that's the impression I've been getting here, that each class has had it better off than the last. I guess I'm still a bit too young to be doing the whole "Back in my day" thing :D

And I didn't mean "beating" as in a flogging or something, that's just always what I heard RPT referred to as. Or as "getting candy," for some reason.

MGoBrew11

pilot
And I didn't mean "beating" as in a flogging or something, that's just always what I heard RPT referred to as. Or as "getting candy," for some reason.

Haha that may have started with my class. One of the DIs heard two OCs talk about getting "beaten" and he destroyed them. From then on we called it getting "served cake" and passed in on to future classes. We tried to give our DI "Cake Boss" on his class t-shirt but he wouldn't go for it.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
If it didn't involve actual physical beating I am not sure you can really call it a 'beating', unless you want to sound like a tool.

"Beating" is a term used in the Navy and some other branches for getting put on your face. It isn't something said by tools who are exaggerating, it is just what it is called. Granted, those who dish out the beatings don't like the term because of what it implies to people who don't know what it really means.

MEMO TO ALL RDCs:
Stop breaking our candidates. If your candidates are suffering major injuries…you're doing it wrong.

It is actually probably the DIs more than the RDCs. As OCS goes on the chiefs become more chief-like and less RDC-like. The DIs don't change a lot until candio phase (if at all).

Some of the big injuries come from being out of shape, and some of them come from the candidates not wanting help. In week 1 if you go LLD you get rolled. Even if you don't miss a key event like wakeup wednesday. We lost a guy in my class during week 2 or 3 to an infection that he refused to get treatment for (he ultimately DORed and the whole thing was his fault, but he was rightfully worried that he'd miss too much PT and be rolled). And if you do have to go to the muscular/skeletal clinic (SMART) it takes basically all day. You miss classes, drill, and PT. I never worried too much about getting hurt at OCS. I worried though that I'd be rolled for something stupid like being LLD on the wrong day(s) if I did get hurt.

I don't really have any data to back this up, but I bet there would be fewer serious injuries if candidates felt like there would be fewer consequences for minor injuries.

Oh, and I bet the fact that they scrapped the terrible, terrible warm-up routines will help in the long run. If you wanted to stretch before a workout, you had to do it on your own damn time.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Oh, and I bet the fact that they scrapped the terrible, terrible warm-up routines will help in the long run. If you wanted to stretch before a workout, you had to do it on your own damn time.
Those are gone too? No more "GOOOOOOOD MORNING, REGIMENT! Your first morning dynamic stretch will be.....toe-heel rocking!!!"

Nuknfuts

Yeah the "warm ups" were typically getting put on your face in front of the rest of the regiment. Not exactly conducive to avoiding injuries

Most common major ones were leg/hip injuries, esp. for females

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
There is little to no scientific evidence that demonstrates that stretching actually prevents injuries, and doing pushups is as good of a warmup in the morning as any.

And yea, the fear of being rolled often prevents people from going to medical.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Beating" is a term used in the Navy and some other branches for getting put on your face. It isn't something said by tools who are exaggerating, it is just what it is called. Granted, those who dish out the beatings don't like the term because of what it implies to people who don't know what it really means.

I know exactly what it means having seen it here repeatedly and I still think it is stupid, makes it sound like what happened much worse which is a bit foolish, I can see exactly why the folks who 'dish them out' don't like the term. I have never heard the term from anyone else but Navy OCS guys, everyone else just calls them 'tough workouts', 'worked over' or just 'push ups'.