• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Occ 197

Freezerburn7

Ok, so after reading all this buisness about boots I decided to not be the moron that reads it and doesn't get a pair of Bates to break in before Jan 18th. So I just orderd my pair of Bates Light's and from what I'm reading its the most comfortable to run in. I'd rather run the risk of a little slipage than being slowed down on runs. Besides its snow and ice...unless you plan on buying some cramp-ons I dont think anything is going to give you 100% traction.

Freezerburn7

Certainly -
Flight test- 7/8/6 - 64
PFT - 12 - 100 - 21:00
Some great PROFESSIONAL and current/former military references (this is important new guys - not joe shmoe your retarded rommate, gotta get some pros on the list.)
Apparently this is what it takes to be eligable for a solid 10 week beat down. Best of luck guys.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I'd rather run the risk of a little slipage than being slowed down on runs. Besides its snow and ice...unless you plan on buying some cramp-ons I dont think anything is going to give you 100% traction.

You'll slip on some of the stuff there even in the summer. A lot of the obstacles are wet and muddy. Can't imagine how bad it sucks during the ice. Just keep your momentum moving forward and your feet moving underneath you. I guess mroe incentive not to slow down and stop running :D

jostuar1

Can you guys throw out your application stats/info so ppl can get an idea of where the bar is at?

ASTB - 6/6/7 OAR 58
PFT - 277 20/100/21.42
No legal problems
No drug use
Engineering Degree with 3 years experience in the field.
Retired Navy/Air Force/Marine Corps aviator references.

I got selected in December for OCC-197. To be competitive shoot for a 270+ PFT and pass your ASTB's. The ASTB's are only looked at as a tie-breaker but you need to pass them (5's I believe).

donnyglaze

Congrats to all who were selected for 197. Sorry to possibly be jacking a thread, but I just have a quick question for you guys, a little advise thing.

So I passed my ASTB, and spent 2 days at MEPS. My OSO is trying to push me hard to get into 197. My initial feeling is to wait for 198 in June, but everyone in the office is telling me that the air contract slots there fill up very quickly. My initial feeling is to wait for 198 and condition myself better, but I'm a little wary about all the applicants for June. What I'm basically asking is do the June class slots fill up quicker and are they more competitive than other classes?

I also dont even know if I'll qualify for 197, I haven't even gone to Pensacola yet. Any thoughts are welcomed and greatly appreciated.

sr338

Congrats to all who were selected for 197. Sorry to possibly be jacking a thread, but I just have a quick question for you guys, a little advise thing.

So I passed my ASTB, and spent 2 days at MEPS. My OSO is trying to push me hard to get into 197. My initial feeling is to wait for 198 in June, but everyone in the office is telling me that the air contract slots there fill up very quickly. My initial feeling is to wait for 198 and condition myself better, but I'm a little wary about all the applicants for June. What I'm basically asking is do the June class slots fill up quicker and are they more competitive than other classes?

I also dont even know if I'll qualify for 197, I haven't even gone to Pensacola yet. Any thoughts are welcomed and greatly appreciated.

A couple of the the guys that I went through my flight physical with went to last year's winter class, but were NPQ'd and will be going to 197 with us. They said Quanitico in Jan was a little bit more laid back, since there are less candidates running around it's less hectic, but there is a higher risk of injury. Running on snow, frost on the O-course, etc. It sounded like it made sense.

21:00/13/100 PFT
6/6/7/60ish on the ASTB
retired Air Force/Army/Marine Corps and active Navy references.

Slammer2

Contributor

Question: Cant you "sign up" for a 198 air slot now? Or are they saying they have to fill up all the 197 slots first, then they'll deal with the 198 people? Personally, if I could get a slot and was in shape I'd go as soon as possible. You never know what can happen in the near future. But at the same time, if not physically ready, then try to wait. There were guys at my OSO who put in paperwork for classes that werent the immediate next one. But I am not sure if they applied for later classes or if the OSO was just getting their stuff then holding their paperwork.

Have you informed the OSO that you would be more prepared at the later class? If you havent already talked to him/her, make sure you do so.

stevew

I say go for 197, the only thing you can to prepare more for a class is PT, if your PT is not up to par and you get NPQ'd then at least you will have a foot in the door with a recommendation to come back again. 198 is a tough class to get into as are all the summer classes so no one is guaranteeing you a spot there. If your OSO is willing to submit for you so close to 197 that means there is still room to get in and you are likely to go. I say take it if they are offering it and worry about what happens later IF you NPQ.

donnyglaze

Yea, I just dont think that I'm physically ready to go just yet. I just got off a leg injury and have only been running about a month after 3 months of being laid up. So my run is around 23 mins. My pullups and situps are both maxed out. My recruiter is saying they have alot of guys applying for the summer class because of the graduations from college, and I shouldn't be worried about the running because it's relaxed a little and there's not as much running now as compared to previous classes. I just don't feel that I'm physically ready yet. That being said, I'm planning on submitting my papers in January for 198.

VIZKRIEG

KILL
Well boys, to all of you still going in January, good luck. I ended up getting pushed back to 198 in June, and I just found out this morning that I got an Air slot for it. So to anyone wondering if that is possible, the answer is yes. I wish I was going to 197 for many reasons, not the least of which being I live about 17 miles from OCS and I like the weather better in the Winter at Quantico.
With regards to the weather at OCS in the winter, you should not have to worry about snow and ice all that much. I walked around all day today in shorts, and though my weather tolerance is more than most, I was completely comfortable.
Anyways, good luck to all of you still going.

Freezerburn7

I see a lot of stuff on here about marking your gear before you go, but what is the proper format? Is it just last name then first name? I hate to sound like an idiot, but id rather catch a little grief here than a lot from the Staff at OCS. I'm getting all my stuff together and I want to start writting my name on stuff, but I'd hate to catch extra grief for something this simple. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Slammer2

Contributor
I dont remember the exact name of the stencil font but I got a hold of one before I went and just made a ton of 6" name tapes with my last name on them using both the 1/2" and 1" size. Marking all of my stuff took only a few minutes. If its just stupid shit that you're bringing (like a hygiene bag or something) then mark it however you want. But if you got a bunch of PT shirts or uniform type items then they need to be done a specific way. You'll have plenty of time to get that stuff done there. I marked all the little items like shaving creme and toothpaste and all that stuff with a piece of white tape and just wrote my last name on it freehand. They dont care about how that stuff is marked. It also helps after pickup when your stuff gets destroyed and thrown everywhere. I got everything of mine back.

johngratian

no news from 197 boards and general

Greetings everyone,

I am new to this forum. Although I am not attempting to be a USMC pilot, I am nonetheless aiming for a commission through OCC 197 this January (in two weeks). I know the board that was to decide on my candidacy met just before Christmas, but my OSO has not informed me either of a rejection or of an invitation to Quantico, telling me that final approval of the board's decision is in the hands of a general. My OSO remains silent, telling me to be patient while awaiting news of my candidacy. Time however is rapidly running out, and although I have heard that some candidates are not informed of their invitation to OCS until 9 or so days before their class begins, I hope to not have to cut things so close. Indeed, it is disappointing that the Marines are so behind in making these important decisions.

Are any of you in a similar situation? If your package went before the December board, have you been informed of the decision regarding your candidacy yet?

Also, if I am informed only a handful of days before OCC 197, do any of you know if I shall have the option of attending class 198 instead? Will my candidacy roll over to class 198?

If any of you have any information on this, it would be very helpful if you could share it. Thank you for your time.

Semper Fidelis

Jbramps

I'm still waiting on the 197 board to. I didnt submit until december 15th. My OSO keeps telling me I'll find out any day and just be ready to go to quantico.