• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Occ 197

mac1533

Did anyone receive any financial incentives, like bonuses or loan repayment for 196 or 197? I was just curious because I had heard a few rumors.

My OSO just got back from a conference and told me that there is going to be a 4000 dollar bonus that the 197 guys will get but not sure if the 196 guys will since we are already commissioned. He also said that our student loans would be payed off 1/3 a year for three years once we graduated the basic school.

Trev82

pilot
for the winter your definitely going to want gortex boots for humps, field exercises, and any movements into the field for extended periods of time. HOWEVER, i still recommend the bates lites even tho its winter for any fartlek, e-course, crt, and any PT runs you come across b/c you won't be out and running for an extended period of time and they're the lightest and most comfortable boots for running in my opinion. One thing i remember doing 196 was how nice it was wearing my ICB's or deserts on a hump or field exercise (i.e. fire team in the O) and coming back to my lites it was similar to coming home and putting on slippers =)

sr338

Hopefully I'll be joining you gentlemen come January. I would gladly forfeit any bonus right now just to know I'm in, finally being able to serve has been a long time in the making!

Oh, and Trev, I dropped the $110 on my Bates this week. Probably a bit too soon, I know; but you're right. Excellent boots. They feel like sneakers.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
My OSO just got back from a conference and told me that there is going to be a 4000 dollar bonus that the 197 guys will get but not sure if the 196 guys will since we are already commissioned. He also said that our student loans would be payed off 1/3 a year for three years once we graduated the basic school.

Keep us updated.

bradler

I did a while back. Mine are bates lights but im not sure how I feel about them yet. Im still recovering from some wicked blisters I got about a week ago wading ass deep through a god forsaken swamp. I know that bates lights suck for the O course because of the lack of available traction on the rope...and also they melt really easily...dont ask. My PTAD Lt. had some kind of cold weather boots (bates i think) that he loved but I cant remember what they were called. The moral of the story though is that the bates lites are good if you wear warm but not thick socks and stuff like that. I've never heard of anybody dying from frostbite at OCS....besides that your squad bay should be pretty warm from the eternal satanic fires that the SI's keep fresh with the souls of candidates. ;)

Bates Lite are not a big deal on the O course... In all actuallity it will probably help cut some time off for you folks that are pushing the limit of not passing. I never wore bates at OCS and i was fine... I am sure it would have been easier on the runs and humps but I was fine. It is all about picking your feet up... also traction on the rope is not really done by the boot soles just pressure on the rope when it is between you feet.

feenix

anybody have any good links for either the bates lite's or the gortex boots?

2nd, anyone still waiting to hear about if they got in, or is that just me?

Trev82

pilot
www.quanticoboots.com is a good site i ordered my jungles from there. A good idea as well is to order a pair of desert bellevilles or bates lites and break them in before you go and when you get issued the bellevilles at OCS you can use those STRICTLY for inspections.

stevew

feenix, I'm waiting to here back as well.

So they issue Bellvilles? What are ICB's? and how do they compare to the Bates lites? Also, why is it recommended to get a pair of boots before getting to OCS?

MettGT

pilot
I would highly recommend bringing a pair of broken in boots. It basically saved my life at OCS. Going through boot issue during in-processing they only had Bates jungles and ICBs in the size I needed and no Bellevilles. So I asked for the same size as the Belleville jungles that I brought with me to OCS. They felt decent for the initial fitting. However, I spent the next couple of days wearing them, hoping to break them in, but they hurt my feet a lot. I tried to get them switched out with a boot chit, but nothing was done with them all 10 weeks. Consequently, I had to buy another pair of boots (the Bates Lights which I was going to buy anyway) and have a pair of Bates Jungles and Bates ICBs collecting dust (size 8W if your interesting in buying them for cheap).

stevew

MettGT, thanks but I'm an 11R :)

The Danners look like they would be good for the winter anybody have any experience with those?

feenix

I got the good word today, I am back in!

See you all in January...

Family reaction:
Mother - cried
Grandmother - cried
Cousin - told me I was insane
Dad - congratulations

1 out of 4 ain't bad

sr338

Congratulations Feenix! I just got the word too, I'll be seeing you there in one month. Over the next month when I'm not PTing, I'll be here trying to learn as much as I can.

Freezerburn7

My PFT for selection was 245. Not really top notch from what I hear, but my refrences could have gotten me in with a 200. (Thats a joke by the way...min score for OCS is something like 225) I've herd so many diffrent things about PFT scores, bottom line is work hard and submit something around 250...You should be fine. Hows everyone feeling about Quantico in January?? Lets get to it!