• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Occ 197

feenix

I called my OSO again today and they told me pretty much the same thing. My package will be submitted, if I am accepted, then it will be contingent upon my passing the flight physical, but that they are not going to fly me out to FL from AZ until the board has said yes to me...

And although I live in AZ now I am from CT and the Yankees broke my heart...

feenix

I thought the board was meeting on Nov 15th for 197 and that there was not going to be a December board...anyone know anymore?

bradler

Well I am here at 196 and the cold is now moving... what sucks is cold weather and rain. We did the endurance run last week (week 6) and had to jump the in the quigley. You really don't think about it because even though it is cold, once you start PT'ing and get your blood moving you warm up and ya it is chilly but when you are done you don't even think about the cold. There is no additional things you can do... you have wear the uniform scheduled for pt, usually boots and uts with a sweater.

rwstelma

Has anyone invested in a pair of boots to break in before heading to OCC-197? I have read a lot about Bates Lights, but my OSO told me they wouldn't be good for 197 since it's in the winter. Any ideas?

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
the only problem that I found with the lights is that they are a little slippery when they get wet. There were times when I had horrible traction and almost ate shit when trying to move across certain obstacles (this was in the summer). I would imagine that its only even more slippery during the winter.

Freezerburn7

Got selected for 197 SNA ....any one else notice that they changed the Report date for OCS 197 to Jan 18th....I just happend to browse by the OCS website and saw the link for report dates. This was news to me, I thought report date wasn't until the 27th. Oh well, the sooner the better.

jostuar1

Got selected for 197 SNA ....any one else notice that they changed the Report date for OCS 197 to Jan 18th....I just happend to browse by the OCS website and saw the link for report dates. This was news to me, I thought report date wasn't until the 27th. Oh well, the sooner the better.

Freezerburn:

What was your PFT? I'm awaiting the Dec 19th board results and am curious as to what people selected for SNA's have.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Freezerburn:

What was your PFT? I'm awaiting the Dec 19th board results and am curious as to what people selected for SNA's have.

I ran a 12:53 1.5 mile, 50 push ups, and 60 situps. I just met the bare minimums, I was really out of shape because of my ankle surgery keeping me down for a while. I was picked up on the October board. I am currently getting in shape and awaiting my ankle waiver, then final select. I think as long as you pass with good-low, it doesn't matter as far as helping or hurting your chances, considering applicants use to do the PFT after they were selected...(which I was in the last group to do so).

Tactical387

speaking of balls freezing off...and aside from the necessary grinning and baring of it all...has anyone ever heard of any tips for dealing with cold water or just the cold in general?

For example, I do medical research now and I have read that if you eat foods like peanuts before going into cold water it helps to keep your body temp up.

I hate shivering and I want to avoid it as best as I can...if I can...and living in AZ these past 3 years, its going to make it even more of a shock

Shivering is ok...its when you stop shivering that you should worry. :)

Tactical387

Has anyone invested in a pair of boots to break in before heading to OCC-197? I have read a lot about Bates Lights, but my OSO told me they wouldn't be good for 197 since it's in the winter. Any ideas?

I did a while back. Mine are bates lights but im not sure how I feel about them yet. Im still recovering from some wicked blisters I got about a week ago wading ass deep through a god forsaken swamp. I know that bates lights suck for the O course because of the lack of available traction on the rope...and also they melt really easily...dont ask. My PTAD Lt. had some kind of cold weather boots (bates i think) that he loved but I cant remember what they were called. The moral of the story though is that the bates lites are good if you wear warm but not thick socks and stuff like that. I've never heard of anybody dying from frostbite at OCS....besides that your squad bay should be pretty warm from the eternal satanic fires that the SI's keep fresh with the souls of candidates. ;)

Did anyone receive any financial incentives, like bonuses or loan repayment for 196 or 197? I was just curious because I had heard a few rumors.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Did anyone receive any financial incentives, like bonuses or loan repayment for 196 or 197? I was just curious because I had heard a few rumors.

No, I think they would have given us a class on that.

That makes me wonder however, I'm currently paying back about $6,000 in Army ROTC scholarship money for breaking my contract IOT become a Marine. Now that I'm active duty, I don't see why its necessary for me to continue paying that since the result is the same... :icon_rage

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I ran a 12:53 1.5 mile, 50 push ups, and 60 situps. I just met the bare minimums, I was really out of shape because of my ankle surgery keeping me down for a while. I was picked up on the October board. I am currently getting in shape and awaiting my ankle waiver, then final select. I think as long as you pass with good-low, it doesn't matter as far as helping or hurting your chances, considering applicants use to do the PFT after they were selected...(which I was in the last group to do so).
Aren't you going Navy? This is the Marine OCS forum. Not that you can't post here, but I'm not sure these jarheads care too much about your PRT scores. :D

Tactical387

^^ I was confused about that too....I just wasnt gonna say anything...haha. There is no " good low". There is not passing, passing, and maxing. :)