• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Occ 188 Who's Going!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NosniboR80

Good luck to everyone going in January. I'm torn between envying you and fearing for you.

I got NPQed at the end of Oct for a broken hand. My platoon commander had lots of nice stories about breaking the ice on the quigly and all that from when he did OCS during a Jan class. Pretty much any of the field exercises ended with us taking outdoor showers and mumbling to each other that we were glad it wasn't Jan. So, my hats off to you. Drink lots of OJ, stay warm, and clean as possible. I hope y'all are having fun at TBS when I'm going back in June. Y'all will be hardcore LTs.

Merlin

Merlin
Gladiator106- Actually I haven't been running that long. About 3 years with the knowledge on how to train effectively. Building your heart to endure is the first step. You can do this by a variety of exersices.

Cycling: (2-3 t/p/w) 0:45min - 3hrs Start out with :45min and work your way up to the 3hr mark. It takes about 5 weeks to reach the 3hr mark

Swimming: (2-3 t/p/w) 0:30min- 1.5hrs If you have trouble read " Total Imersion" expains alot.

Running: (2-3 t/p/w) 0:20 - 1.25hrs I like endurance runs on the weekends somewhere between the 3-6 mile range.

Next you have to build explosive power so you have the speed & strength needed.
Do a sprint workout on the track. (1/t/p/w) Run 400's (6-10) at about 70-80 second pace with a 1.5min rest. Or you can sub this exersize and one above for playing a running sport like soccer.

Strength Training: (3 t/p/w) 1:00hr Monday:Chest, triceps, abs Wednesday: Legs, abs
Friday: Shoulders, Back & Abs

You might want to consider training with a heart rate monitor. Its like an Tach for your body. When your building endurance your going to be in zones 1-2. Sprints/Speed work are in zones 3-5. Keep in mind that when your training its not an all out effort with the exception of sprints. If you feel really tired take a day off. Don't overtrain, this can't be stressed enough.

The key is to have fun, eat healthy and drink plenty of water (5-7L p/d). Heres something helpful too: Don't carb load for a PFT. Studies have shown that carb loading hasn't shown a improvement of performance for endurance events that are less than 1hr. The entire PFT from start to finish usually takes around 30 - 45 minutes with rest in between events. Eat a healthy dinner and a light breakfast.

It seems like alot but if you do this workout you should see a noticable improvement within three weeks. I'm positive that it will put a smile on your face when your in the 18-19's. Plus if you look at the total time p/week that your training its something around the 10hr mark, and thats not bad

I apologize for the long winded explaination but I feel like it wouldn't do any good if all I said was go train longer and run harder. Hope this helps.

R/S,

Merlin

makoslim

Air candidate 188
yeah... uh... missed the call last night, called Gunny a few hours ago, see you guys in January! I got in on my aviation contract so they didn't even have to look at my ground contract. can't wait to meet you guys in person!!

Oo- Rah!

makoslim

Air candidate 188
Hey. no problem, thats why Im bringing my car. My question for you... What are you going to do for me? ;) see you guys there

reapergm

Hey congrats to all you 188 guys. Im here at 187 right now. About to go into the 8th week. Liberty is the best. I feel for you Jan guys. You have no idea whats coming. Let me tell you about the cold. OCS lOVES to get you nice and wet. PT no matter what. So enjoy the IMC course, Combat Course and E-Course. The water is cold now, I cant imagine once the real frost sets in. I know the ground is frozen when we start 7am PT. Jan is going to be real bitter. Just keep the motivation in mind when you get down there and dont let it get to you. Just "Suck it up" at all times. I know some of you are real hard chargers, but trust me.. youll break and have moments of self doubt. Just know that when you are cold and tired... you'll soon be back at the squadbay sippin on hotwets. Time seems to go slow when you are in the week.. but at the end of the week (or day), you realize time flew by. Good luck... enjoy the ICE!! -Reaper (3 weeks to go!!!! fingers crossed).

Shadow9660

thanks for the motivation reaper....We'll need all of it we can get...congrats to you too ...hang in there and good luck...by the way, did you bring cell phone or any items you'd recommend that wont be confiscated? any tips or anything to watch out for? thanks

schmied

OCS 188 Air
Hey, I've got a question a little of topic. Once we complete OCS, how long do we have to wait to go to TBS? Do we get to go home first? For you air guys, do we go to IFS prior to TBS? If anyone has an idea on any of these, please throw it out. Thanks.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
If you are doing OCC, you will go straight to TBS. You will have the opportunity to take leave in between if you would like, as there will probably be 30 days between OCS and TBS depending on what class you are in. You might want to take some leave, because not a whole lot gets accomplished in that time you are waiting to class up. SO there will be a small wait, but its nothing like what the PLCers go through.

trongod46 said:
like some people have been posting earlier there doesnt seem to be as much traffic for 188 compared to 187, that is also on marineocs also which i noticed was mostly us anyway, i was looking and there is only like 6 or 7 of us posting on here, anybody look back to 187 to compare,

Yeah I noticed that too.

Reeeeeeapah said:
Reaper (3 weeks to go!!!! fingers crossed).

Kill!

makoslim

Air candidate 188
schmied said:
Hey, I've got a question a little of topic. Once we complete OCS, how long do we have to wait to go to TBS? Do we get to go home first? For you air guys, do we go to IFS prior to TBS? If anyone has an idea on any of these, please throw it out. Thanks.

IFS=post TBS

top_gun

top_gun
Hi fellas, I think I'm applying for the 188 class. However, my OSO told me I'd be leaving for Quantico January 16th (if I'm accepted) and I just sent my EPSQ through on 11/15. Let me know if you guys think I'm in the right forum.

GPA 3.3
PFT 288

makoslim

Air candidate 188
Merlin said:
No NJP's Pg 11's
Merlin

I understand Non judicial punishment, but what is a page 11? (just curiouse incase this is something we need to know about when going over the UCMJ)

Crowbar

None
Page 11 is actually a page in the Service Record Book. It's titled "Administrative Remarks". Said remarks can vary from "Issued one pair of safety boots on this day" to assignment to weight control, PFT failures, ineligibility for promotion, etc etc.
While not all Pg 11 remarks are derogatory, generally speaking, to say you have no Page 11's is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.