• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Midshipmen Past or Present

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubicon

I'm thinking of appling to Tulane, wnt to New Orelanes and loved it, esspecially the archtecture, could you give me a little more info.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
I am Hailing From Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach Florida. We are a brand new unit (last fall). I would definatly look into ERAU if I were you. If you want to become a pilot this is the place to do it. If you want to design spacecraft this is the place to do it. If you want to be a part of the elite, civilian and military, this is the place to do it. Now I cant speak for any statistics as far as service selection goes because we are so new but I can assure you that this is one of the best schools in the WORLD and that will go somewhere when you are competing against the rest of the nation. Moreover, it is a top rated Aeronautical University. That means that everything here is geared towards avaition - from an Aerospace Engineering degree to an Avaiation Psychology degree. As far as the town, Daytona Beach, enough said. If your looking for women, you wont find many on campus, the ratio is like 20:1 but I say again Daytona Beach. Now dont get me wrong this place is definatly not one big party 24/7 it requires work just like all of the other schools on this post so choose wisely. The nickname of this place is "The Harvard of the Air." Consider it. http://www.erau.edu

billiken2002

pilot
Though I cant really compare to Daytona Beach, I'm in West Lafayette, Indiana. We had below zero temps 2 weeks ago and snow ever since the semester started. But when it comes Aeronautical Universities, I have to say that Purdue University is the way to go. We have an excellent Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering department, with their physics classes ranked as some of the toughest in the country. And for those of you who don't want to cram math all day and would like to actually work with aircraft, you could go Aeronautical Engineering Technology, my major, where you get the experience in working with any type of aircraft. Or if you want to get to flying right away, join our pilot program...where your last 2 years are heavily concentrated on flying 727 and 737 fully moving simulators and flying our BeechJet around. Enough about the school, our unit is top-notch. One of the only units to have a guaranteed SEAL slot, we have around 200 mids here. From seeing others graduate, the only ones who did not get picked up for Aviation was because of medical reasons. We are looked highly upon as an excellent unit at a top notch university. So when you decide, Boiler Up!!! Go Purdue!!!

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
"...I gotta do something here, I still...I still can't believe it. I gotta give you your dreamshot. I'm gonna send you up against the best. You two characters...are going to Purdue. For 5 years, you'll fly against the finest student pilots in the world. You were number 2, Humpty-Diddle was number 1. Embry-Riddle lost it...turned in their wings....YOU GUYS ARE NUMBER 1!" (BOILER UP, Maverick

www.tech.purdue.edu/at

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
OHH are we mudslinging? hahaha Now I diddnt say that Riddle was turnig out SNA's left and right, all I said is that the unit is new, Riddle is the BEST aeronautical university in the world (you can research that if you are in disbelief - i.e. we have all the fun aircraft and sims and degrees too) and that we're on your six so I suggest that you turn and burn. As far as Purdue, Top notch as well, very good school with respectable and well established NROTC program. Just keep checkin your six.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Austin,

It was all in good fun, I thought it was pretty clever, actually
bouncy_125.gif
. I forgot to mention this before, but Purdue NROTC has the reputation of commissioning a lot of our mids into the the SNA/SNFO pipeline (more so than other schools). I'm not exactly sure why this is, but apparently we have some sort of reputation in the aviation community. I know that about half of our ensigns commissioned last year went to aviation. How do you know so much about Purdue????? I'm just curious.

Nozeman

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA NROTC

I think those words speak for themselves. But just in case you need clarification, here you go:
- Good engineering school
- very nice scenery (the grass is very green!)
- Football, Football, Football

If you don't like any of that stuff, well then
censored_125.gif

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Just heard a little here and there, nothin you cant find on the web ;). Plus I had an old football friend that went to Purdue.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
University of Pennsylvania. I think we're up to #4 or 5 for the top university in the US in US News and World Report. That's with the #1 business school, both undergrad and MBA. The ROTC unit is medium-sized, about 100 mids, but has a solid training program, esp for Marines. Philadelphia is a good town. Plus, if you have a scholarship, use it to the max possible--$20,000+/yr is definitely taking full advantage of Uncle Sam. Lastly, the first Commandant of the Marine Corps, Samuel Nicholas, is an alum. Admittedly, they didn't have NROTC then.

I don't really think that any school has an edge in getting people into particular communities, other than strong engineering schools having better luck with Nukes. If a staff member has an "in" with BuPers, it will help, but only for as long as that guy is there.

Whichever school you go to, make most of your decision based on the academics. NROTC staffs turn over every 3 years, anyway. The military will teach you what you need to know for its purposes, but your degree will be with you for a long time.

JWallAvionic

Hey, I just got a letter from Embry-Riddle, was wondering if anyone new if they had a good football program, looks great, nice Aero programs I see, that is what I wish to be getting into in college and has NROTC, just wondering if I could contact anyone about the campus life etc. talk to someone who knows the place.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
JoshuaJWallace,

I am currently a Midshipman @ Embry-Riddle in Daytona. Now I dont know to which campus you were refering but neither campus has a football team (Prescott or Daytona). However I just saw a flyer on campus that someone is trying to start football up as a club sport so that is about as close as your going to get. We do have a multitude of other varsity sports though. Look on the website http://www.erau.edu . As far as the campus life - really cool laid back atmosphere. Not very many girls if you wanted to know its about 20:1 around here but that doesnt matter really, you meet alot of people from nearby schools and we're in Daytona so you'll see your fair share. Feel free to e-mail me with any more ?'s you have, I am an orientation leader so hopefully I can answer most of them if not I'll find out for you. I encourage you to go the the website, you can obtain alot of info from there. Good Luck!

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
I know that they are a fairly new unit, I think fall 2002. They have a webpage http://web.usf.edu/nrotc/usfnrotc.htm . That should give you an adequate amount of info and contact points.

Status
Not open for further replies.