• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Midshipmen Past or Present

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigspy007

I'm currently in the oh so exciting process of looking at collages and such. My life long goal is to be a Naval Officer so I'm paying close attention to what the units at different schools are like. So if any Midshipmen could tell me about their units, and what they loved or didnt like about them, it would be greatly apprecatied. Thanks

Dickwest83

I'd like to commend you on being proactive and actually researching not only the ROTC process, but the individual units as well. Units across the country can vary greatly, ie some can be laid back, some are run by hardasses, some make it actually enjoyable, while others make you miserable. From my personal experience, I would highly recommend GWU's Unit, while strongly discouraging you from Tulane.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
UT Austin grad: good unit, great school, PT two to three times a week, freshman year mandatory study, free chem, calc and physics tutors

Good: awesome school, lots of activities to be involved in, great academic help, majority are good people, great business, law and engineering schools

Bad: Lots of BS to contend with (most likely the same at other schools) that drastically get reduced once you get commissioned, some uptight folks and staff members

Forgot to mention: this applies to when I was there..when i left they had just got a new CO and things may have changed a bit.

Pags

N/A
pilot
If you're looking to get an engineering degree, take a look at Georgia Tech. The school is awesome, and the NROTC unit has an outstanding rep. I really enjoyed my experience there. Like any NROTC unit, there was some BS to put up with, but that's gonna be the story anwhere you look and anywhere you go in the Navy. The only downside is that they didn't pay for room and board, but that's typical for a public college. Some schools the NROTC scholarship will cover room and board. But, the engineering education you get from GT is top notch.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Bigspy,

I hail from Purdue University NROTC. I would highly recommend our unit; we're a faily locked on group of individuals (just under 200). We may be one of the biggest units in the country. Currently the unit is undergoing lots of changes: mandatory study went away and so did PT. PT is mandatory, however, for those who fail to pass the PRT with at least a good medium in every category. In our unit, youre very much in control of what happens to you (as far as PT and grades go). As with other units, we have available tutors as well as study groups for the more difficult classes, especially for engineering. Purdue is also an excellent choice for engineering. There are plenty of non engineers here too. If you have any more questions about our unit, feel free to PM me.

Noze

4thgen

bigspy007,

I am from Miami University of Ohio's NROTC Unit. I am a Marine option and I highly recommend our unit as well. I am however unsure of our Chain of Command because we are geting a new CO, XO, SKCS, MOI and AMOI so I have no clue what the unit will be like next year. I am confident, however, in the Navy and the Marine Corps in providing fine officers to instruct midshipmen. Tech majors are highly encouraged now so I am not sure if Miami is a good school for tech majors. It is mostly pre-med and business, but there are a lot of tech majors in the unit and I suggest you come down and visit.

-Cleland

4thgen

Oh Yeah...

We will also more than likely turn you to the Marine Option side. About 7 midshipmen just switched options from Navy to Marine and there are more in the process. But there are some dedicated Navy mids out there who refuse to change "sides." Good Luck on the college selection, its always a "fun" process.

BYPASS

Wow! Thanks guys! I have applied to Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and Purdue. So far, I've heard that I was accepted to Purdue and plan on visiting in February. I'm really hoping to get in to Georgia Tech but I hear it's REAL tough. I'm from out-of-state also and applied for engineering. Oh well, no news so far is good news I guess. I'm actually doing a spend the night program at Virginia Tech in 2 weeks to check it out.

BYPASS

Ok, someone set me straight here. I just heard that some people have already received their NROTC 4-yr. scholarships. I applied real early (August) and still have not heard anything. Will they let you know one way or another? Others have said that I won't receive anything until Feb, Mar, or April. Which is correct?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
They should let you know sometime before APR. I'm not sure of the deadline exactly because my scholarship package never went to the review boards, I signed for it in September of my senior year. But yes, they will tell you no matter what happens. My friend who is a Marine option up for scholarship said that his board wasn't until March,so I'm not sure if that means that the Navy one will also be in March. It couldn't hurt to ask CNET about the status of your scholarship. I think you can do that at nrotc.navy.mil or someplace like that. Best of luck!

Noze

jbe120

BYPASS:
I applied for a NROTC scholarship August '02 last year and did not find out that I got a scholarship until May 30th '03. It was to attend Florida A&M's unit via Florida State. At this point in time, I had already chose to attend Penn State and had to deny my admission to Florida State a couple weeks earlier (May 1st.) In conclusion I was put on a waitlist at Penn State and never got a scholarship! My advice to you is to keep your options open. If possible tell all the colleges that you will be enrolling in the fall, that way you won't run into problems with the May 1st deadline that most colleges have.

nk2985

I am also at Purdue University right now. Besides what NozeMan said, I can tell you that it is a great unit. As a 4/C Midshipman, the upperclassmen treat me with respect and are always willing to help the 4/C. Purdue is also a good school and I highly recommend it. Our unit is good to be in if you want more freedom than most units, but remember the freedom comes with the responsibility that you have to still study on your own and PT on your own to pass the PFA. Good luck.

Pags

N/A
pilot
BYPASS:
GT is tough, but not impossible. Any engineering program is gonna be tough, but GT makes you work to get one of the most respected engineering degrees around. Which is always nice in case you want to get one of those civilian jobs at some point. But all in all, all of those schools have good engineering programs. And some halfway decent football teams. Which is key to the college experience. And I think VT has a corps of cadets, which is different from the NROTC experience at other schools.

zachary2777

Banned
Virginia Tech has a corps of cadets. It's a lot different than other ROTC units. It's a lot more like the academy and it's quite a different experience. They have their own uniforms and cadets from all branches wear the same one. Freshmen year I think you have to room with another MIDN and your room does get inspected. Check it out but it sounds pretty hardcore.

I go to Cornell and I like my unit a lot. It's a small unit, with about 70 people I think. Also, Cornell has a great engineering program.

-Zak

myasumat

BYPASS... I'd recommend not going to VT for the NROTC, went there and wasn't really a fan of the corps of cadets. It's an excellent school, particularly engineering. In an attempt to be constructive I'd say if you like a lot of structure then by all means...

Status
Not open for further replies.