• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

North Korean Nuke Test

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry folks I meant WC-135's - not Hercs but 707's aka : "Constant Pheonix"

web_031019-F-0000J-002.jpg

http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=192

The way this was depicted on the news was that the thing was taking air samples through its IFR receptacle (or whatever those AF homos call it) - laughable. Anyway, emphasizing again that I am not a nuclear scientist, but it seems optimistic to think that we'd be able to detect radiation from an underground test from which no radiation was allegedly released. I'm sure there are conditions under which this would be possible, hence the overhead and aircraft based systems, but I get the sense that there's a lot of science fiction assumptions being made about our capabilities in this area.

Brett

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
NORK Nuclear Test: It's A Dud

NORK Nuclear Test: It's A Dud

...A plutonium device should produce a yield in the range of the 20 kilotons, like the one we dropped on Nagasaki. No one has ever dudded their first test of a simple fission device. North Korean nuclear scientists are now officially the worst ever.
It'll still mess up Tokyo's day...

Its a dud...

hscs

pilot
Don't know why everyone is so suprised -- most news websites will tell you that we believed the NKs had something like 6-8 weapons. Even though a 0.8 kT weapon will still ruin anyone's day, this test shows that they haven't mastered high order detonation. Besides, with a small arsenal -- they just wasted one. That means there is one less for us to find or for crazies to get a hold of.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
If it was a nuke weapon, as opposed to a nuclear device, and if it was even a nuclear detonation and not just 1000 tons of tnt...

most news websites
o rlly? who cares?

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Don't know why everyone is so suprised -- most news websites will tell you ....

Absolutely yes, slam dunk, when do we invade?

On the serious side, their "nukes" would be very primitive and thus they would be very "dirty", that is; lots and lots of radiation. Not that there are many "clean" nukes around, other than the neutron. My point being yeild is one dimension, radiation another.:eek:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't know why everyone is so suprised -- most news websites will tell you that we believed the NKs had something like 6-8 weapons. Even though a 0.8 kT weapon will still ruin anyone's day, this test shows that they haven't mastered high order detonation. Besides, with a small arsenal -- they just wasted one. That means there is one less for us to find or for crazies to get a hold of.

Don't confuse tests with warheads and draw conclusions about their capabilities. Most tests are necessarily very low yeild, including our own.

Brett

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
was depicted on the news was that the thing was taking air samples through its IFR receptacle (or whatever those AF homos call it) - laughable. Anyway, emphasizing again that I am not a nuclear scientist, but it seems optimistic to think that we'd be able to detect radiation from an underground test from which no radiation was allegedly released.

You are absolutely right here about alpha, beta, and gamma radiation. Assuming it was an underground test, all this would be blocked. However, these are not the only byproducts. Xrays would be readily detectible as would the electromagnetic disturbance created by even an underground detonation. I don't know what our explicit capabilities are in this area but simple physics says...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I imagine there's a way to differentiate a conventional explosion from a nuclear one based on the difference in brisance between the two. I don't know how you would/could look at that from an instrumentation POV, but there are some pretty clever folks at Livermore/Sandia National Labs, etc.

Brett