• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

North Korean Nuke Test

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
I'm with you. As a means of comparison, none of the Pakistani or Indian nuke tests since the 70s and up to those in '98 has every exceeded 43 KT. I'm no weapons engineer, but a yield of 400 KT would either require a huge amount of fissile material, or a two stage thermonuclear device - neither of which NK is thought to possess. I don't think they'd blow their load of fissile material on a test just to make the front page of the NYT..

Brett

I heard numbers closer to 1/2 kT. 500 tons of TNT to create the 4.3 earthquake.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Here's my take on the whole situation:

1. Kim Jong Il is once again pining for attention. We've already established that corrupt, psychotic dictators are attnetion whores. He hasn't been getting enough attention on western news papers, and he wants more.

2. The NK gov't gave China a 20 min warning phone call about this so-called nuke test. China then called the US, Japan, and SK. This has been confirmed by the US gov't. The USGS registered some brief seismic activity originating from the Korean Peninsula, which they said is "consistant with a large explosion".

Given that, and that Russia has "confirmed" the nulear test, I'm leaning towards that Crazy Kim has done it. Now, I'm not 100% on that b/c as stated before, a 1st world nation hasn't confirmed it, but in my eye, its leaning pretty close.

As for the stbility in the area, if there was any semblance of it, we can kiss it goodbye.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
Here is a question: Could he fake a test by using large amounts of conventional explosives, i.e ampho? Asuming it is a subterrainean test, so what is to say he didn't fake the funk?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Here is a question: Could he fake a test by using large amounts of conventional explosives, i.e ampho? Asuming it is a subterrainean test, so what is to say he didn't fake the funk?

There's definitely that possibility. Keeping w/ what I said previously and what PU said, Enough convientional explosives CAN register on the Richter Scale.. evidenced by the fact that the USGS registered seismic activity "consistant with a large explosion".. presumably of unknown type.

Now as to whether or not its practical... so get the force of a nuclear detonation.. well, that's an a$$load of explosives...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
There's definitely that possibility. Keeping w/ what I said previously and what PU said, Enough convientional explosives CAN register on the Richter Scale.. evidenced by the fact that the USGS registered seismic activity "consistant with a large explosion".. presumably of unknown type.

Now as to whether or not its practical... so get the force of a nuclear detonation.. well, that's an a$$load of explosives...

Its actually not that hard to do. Yes...its a big explosion but....

When the Kursk sank in 2000, the corresponding explosions were big enough to register on seismic surveys in the US. That explosion (guessing on the number of torpedos aboard at 12) was on the order of 30000# of high explosive. I wouldn't quote that number but its in the ballpark.

AppleCello

Im guessing that we have space-based tools to try and detect radiation levels. Seems that a bunch of people in the intel community will be busy this morning.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Im guessing that we have space-based tools to try and detect radiation levels. Seems that a bunch of people in the intel community will be busy this morning.

No but the AF has WC-130's that are flying round the clock in the area that do the same thing. They are deployed there now and literally 24/7 ops

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Interesting how everyone calls the WC-130 a "Weather Reconnaissance" aircraft... I believe you, I'm just calling out how the aircraft has been "officially" designated. Anywhoo thats gotta be a crazy reserve job.

WC-130 Hercules

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No but the AF has WC-130's that are flying round the clock in the area that do the same thing. They are deployed there now and literally 24/7 ops

"No?"

You are aware we have satellites specifically designed to detect gamma wave radiation, don't you?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Sorry folks I meant WC-135's - not Hercs but 707's aka : "Constant Pheonix"

web_031019-F-0000J-002.jpg

http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=192