• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No thumbdrive?!? How do I get any work done?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
They might as well order a work stoppage. Unfortunately, I think we'll be expected to keep turning out the same product with double the red-ass.

We got the actual message a couple of days ago, and our XO said he'd confiscate any flash drives he found in our computers.

I wonder whether we can now stop giving Powerpoint flight briefs. :icon_mi_1 Either that, or I have to lug my laptop to the ready room to give a brief. Maybe this will be a change for the better. Nevertheless, the thumbdrive has been an invaluable work-aid.

I'm told that one can use portable hard drives instead--yeah, that's convenient.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I saw this and thought pretty much the same thing today.

No flashdrives make powerpoints way less convenient. Maybe this is really just an attempt to cut out most of the makey workey and actually get stuff done.

Flugelman

Contributor
I did some contract work at one of our 3-letter agencies a few years ago. They had always prohibited any kind of recording devices on the premises.

During the Christmas shopping season a lot of folks were going out on their lunch hour and buying gifts, bring them back with them. Someone discovered that the "Tickle Me Elmo" doll could record audio and somehow play it back. (I never saw the toy in action so I don't know the particulars...) Soon Elmo dolls were prohibited on site. :eek:

S.O.B.

pilot
They might as well order a work stoppage. Unfortunately, I think we'll be expected to keep turning out the same product with double the red-ass.

We got the actual message a couple of days ago, and our XO said he'd confiscate any flash drives he found in our computers.

I wonder whether we can now stop giving Powerpoint flight briefs. :icon_mi_1 Either that, or I have to lug my laptop to the ready room to give a brief. Maybe this will be a change for the better. Nevertheless, the thumbdrive has been an invaluable work-aid.

I'm told that one can use portable hard drives instead--yeah, that's convenient.

I don't know about the portable hard drive either: I was told no removable media. Not sure and I didn't read the message but that's the law our security man laid out. Next step....typewriters.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
NPS is melting down over this. I had to spend an extra 3 hours doing research i'd already done as a result of the new policy. grah.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Pure stupidity. This was the end result of NNWC policy that came out 18 months ago. Only a matter of time.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why doesn't the Navy simply incorporate whatever the issue is into their anti-virus software and forget about the whole thumb drive prohibition? I know that expecting anyhting less than a swift knee-jerk reaction is indulging in pure fantasy, but come on.

Brett

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Malcious code on removable media is a real concern and in this day and age of netwar it may not be "just" a virus so Antivirus software is not the whole solution.

They do need to figure out some sort of workaround to enable work to get done. Shared on-line resources available from internal and external nets is likely the solution. Always prohibited where I work and we've worked it out.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
I don't know about the portable hard drive either: I was told no removable media. Not sure and I didn't read the message but that's the law our security man laid out. Next step....typewriters.

The Marine message says no flash-based media, e.g. thumbdrives and Sandisks. Apparently there's something inherent in the nature of flash products that makes them vulnerable to a particular threat. Anything with a spinning disk is all right.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
The Marine message says no flash-based media, e.g. thumbdrives and Sandisks. Apparently there's something inherent in the nature of flash products that makes them vulnerable to a particular threat. Anything with a spinning disk is all right.

Really? When I checked my NMCI email, I vaguely remember it saying no DVDs or ANY sort of portable storage media.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Really? When I checked my NMCI email, I vaguely remember it saying no DVDs or ANY sort of portable storage media.

Yes, really. I don't know what the pinheads at NMCI are saying. EDS isn't going to come out and charge me with a UCMJ offense. The Marine Corps office that does such things (MCNOSC? or something like that) came out with its edict a couple of days ago, specifically banning flash drives. CDs and the like were fine, except that only maybe 2 computers in our squadron have burners on them, and we only have 4 or 5 removable harddrives, and I'm not buying my own to do Marine Corps work.