• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No-notice checkride?

Ever heard of a no-notice check ride?

• Total voters

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I walked away LIKING the idea. I know, it is dickish to be the one implementing it....

OH! Sure, you go through the IUT and now you're all big and bad, wanting to drop checkrides on unsuspecting JOs! Man, are all instructors dicks?

On yeah, we are :icon_smil

robav8r

None
Contributor
I say keep the no notice check ride as far away from NavAir as you can. . . . . The Navy would never let it be a "learning experience". . . . . It would be a way to document your ass out of a flying job. . . . We dont need anymore BS introduced in todays version of Naval Aviation.

. . . . . concur. Instead of keeping the "Good Idea Generator" energized, perhaps we could just focus on flying & fighting without the burden of having to entertain the "oh so many" other things that distract us from our primary mission.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
. . . . . concur. Instead of keeping the "Good Idea Generator" energized, perhaps we could just focus on flying & fighting without the burden of having to entertain the "oh so many" other things that distract us from our primary mission.

Standard JO bitch.

-ea6bflyr ;)

hokieav8r

~Bring the Wood!~
None
I can haz Army speak?? I'm assuming that's bad, but what are Readiness Levels?

Probably similar to the system in the Navy, but RL3 is the lowest level you are qualified as, as you are progressed with instruction and evaluation you go to RL2, then to RL1. This is the same in all of Army Aviation, regardless of airframe. Then airframe specific, each community has a different task list and crew station progressions that define the RL levels. This is a broad brush stroke on the explanation.

hokieav8r

~Bring the Wood!~
None
I see the concern on the words of most. There are those who take it way too far. The Op Tempo in the last 5 years has severely curbed the no notice program in the Army. Everybody is tired.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Standard JO bitch.

-ea6bflyr

Shut it Hinge!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Never seen anything like that in TACAIR. NATOPS is secondary and expected knowledge. It's not tested on flights, only on the yearly NATOPS sims and Instruments sims. Tactics are the name of the game. That being said, honestly, it's actually not a terrible idea.

hokieav8r

~Bring the Wood!~
None
Natops

I have a question that could be fielded by you guys pretty quickly and smartly, so I'm gonna ask it. I've never had to deal with, nor have I ever heard of NATOPS until about 3 weeks ago. I took 2 AH-64s to Camp LeJune, New River, and completed training on the range there. After We landed for weather between us and Ft Bragg, I went to base ops to file and get a weather brief for us to return to Bragg. My intent was to fly around the nasty thunderstorm that was isolated to our west and basically fly southwest, then turn back to the northwest to get back into Bragg. While filing our 175, we requested our 175-1 and has the E6 behind the counter looked at my flight plan, the briefer informed me that I would not be able to be briefed and I was not allowed to file VFR. My aircraft is not qualified for IMC, but I can file IFR if I absolutely need to, but I was a little stunned that I was being told by an E6 weather briefer of what I can and cannot do due to the Convective SIGMET that was about to expire, and his general judgement based on his assessment of the weather. Professionally, I feel it is the final judgement of the Air Mission Commander and the Pilot in Command to determine, based on the brief he or she is given, whether or not it is safe to take off and execute the route of flight or the mission you are trying to accomplish. While we sat outside Base Ops, we watched AH-1s and CH-53s take off and land around the area, clearly not on ITOs, IFR clearances, or any type of IFR approach. So my questions are: who is NATOPS? What is the general concept of weather briefing and authority and how that works in the USN/USMC? And Does the USN/USMC rotarywing file IFR a lot more often that VFR and is it a desired method to file IFR, only to cancel your clearance later and continue VFR?

Thanks for the explanations in advance.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That sounds bizarre, weather briefers do not make a decision as to when to fly and when not to. Did you use ask to go Special VFR? Did you thank the weather briefer walk to base ops file and go fly anyway, you would have been perfectly legal to do so.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That sounds bizarre, weather briefers do not make a decision as to when to fly and when not to. Did you use ask to go Special VFR? Did you thank the weather briefer walk to base ops file and go fly anyway, you would have been perfectly legal to do so.
Unless you are at an AF controlled field, and the weather guessers say it is below mins and they close the field on you... :(

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What skid said. Big Navy doesn't even care about Convective SIGMETs, so not sure why that's even being brought up. Strangeness.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So my questions are: who is NATOPS? What is the general concept of weather briefing and authority and how that works in the USN/USMC? And Does the USN/USMC rotarywing file IFR a lot more often that VFR and is it a desired method to file IFR, only to cancel your clearance later and continue VFR?

Thanks for the explanations in advance.
NATOPS = Naval Air Training and Operating Procedures Standardization. "The Book," as it were, or at least one of them. Each aircraft has a NATOPS manual which dictates standard procedures, EPs, limits, systems info, etc. Every aircrew must be NATOPS qualified in model and this is done through written tests (open and closed book) and a yearly checkride. This is usually done in the sim so as to throw horrific compound EPs and other crap at you. Don't know what the Army calls its equivalent, but the AF equivalent is a "Dash 1" apparently.

There is also a "NATOPS General Operating Instructions," which is OPNAVINST 3710.7, and is the CNO's policy on how he wants ALL of his aircraft flown. Deals with things like filing procedures in different WX, training rules, how to administer NATOPS/Instrument Checks, etc.

The CV NATOPS manual and LSO NATOPS manual deal with carrier operations, the CV NATOPS more with how the whole ship is run and the LSO NATOPS with details of the FLOLS/IFLOLS/MOVLAS and how the Paddles mafia operates.

There's also an Instrument NATOPS for IFR flying, but it is horribly dated, obscure, and hard to find. Nerds study it before taking or giving Instrument checks. :D

I was under the impression that the WX brief was advisory only. Meaning YOU are responsible for knowing and following the rules and regs according to the WX which is briefed, and the forecaster can't order you to do anything. I know that they can give you a "Severe WX on route" stamp which is essentially saying "we told him so" and preemptively washing their hands of the idiot that wants to fly through the thunderstorm. Safe operation of the A/C is still the responsibility of the PIC.

I have never so much as flipped a switch on a helo, so I will shut up regarding your other questions.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was thinking about this, and the only thing I can think of was maybe the weather dude wouldn't give you a VFR stamp, ie "VFR NOT RECOMMENDED" and he "couldn't" give you a weather brief because the NFWB mothership didn't say it was okay. That said, I would guess Camp Lejeune would have a living, breathing weather briefer (not the E-6) during the day. Anyone care to say?