• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NKO must die!

KBayDog

Osprey is a retarded concept that will probably result in less than 10% sortie completion rates if it gets fielded in normal operational conditions for more than a few years. Cut that sucker!

Concur :D

I wonder how much we would save by eliminating NKO and all it's required courses and associated maintenance fees, the same goes for rewriting the NMCI contract. Anyone who thinks we aren't being raped on fees, storage costs and reliability/usability are living with their head in the sand there is a ton of waste and stupidity there.

TRIPLE concur. Nothing more rewarding than signing on for the annual IA "training" (same lame-ass course every year. "Wow! An e-mail asking for help finding a missing child. Maybe I'll open it this year!"), double-tapping the mouse, and clear-cutting a rain forest to print out your certificate.

Just had to reactivate my navy.mil NMCI account. (You know, because the Navy/Marine Corps Intranet isn't really Navy and Marine Corps.) Had to re-apply, get my XO's Herbie Hancock as security manager, have the civilian "process" the application, and wait 24 hours. The next day, I was given my logon information (by a different civilian), but had to go to the ID office to get my "certificates" updated, whatever the hell that means. An hour later, I walked out of the ID office and tried to log onto my computer. No dice, so I called the "help"desk. One hour and twenty minutes on the phone later, my problem was solved...apparently, I didn't have the right set of "permissions" to log onto NMCI. It's cool, though - the Corps only lost a half of a day of work out of me because of it. Fortunately, I'm not an hourly employee or anything.

KBayDog

You must be destroyed.

beverage-Kool-Aid.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur :D

TRIPLE concur. Nothing more rewarding than signing on for the annual IA "training" (same lame-ass course every year. "Wow! An e-mail asking for help finding a missing child. Maybe I'll open it this year!"), double-tapping the mouse, and clear-cutting a rain forest to print out your certificate.

Just had to reactivate my navy.mil NMCI account. (You know, because the Navy/Marine Corps Intranet isn't really Navy and Marine Corps.) Had to re-apply, get my XO's Herbie Hancock as security manager, have the civilian "process" the application, and wait 24 hours. The next day, I was given my logon information (by a different civilian), but had to go to the ID office to get my "certificates" updated, whatever the hell that means. An hour later, I walked out of the ID office and tried to log onto my computer. No dice, so I called the "help"desk. One hour and twenty minutes on the phone later, my problem was solved...apparently, I didn't have the right set of "permissions" to log onto NMCI. It's cool, though - the Corps only lost a half of a day of work out of me because of it. Fortunately, I'm not an hourly employee or anything.

Went through almost same experience and was told I could log 1 hour of Security training for it. Besides the lost time going to Pass/ID and waiting around to get CAC card reset, NKO kept kicking me offline. SSO was nipping at my heels and told me if worked fine on her machine. Told her I'd be right over to do it on her machine. She balked because she doesn't let anyone on her desktop. So I rolled into her location with laptop in hand and showed her it was stuck in a do-loop. She showed me a guest laptop and wouldn't you know, it did the same thing. At 1530, she announced she had to leave for the day, but to keep trying. I said negatory as it was obvious a certificate or other issue i couldn't solve. IT manager finally looked at it and said "you're right! This is isn't working!" She finally found a machine that would cooperate and I sat through the IA training that I could have passed the test on without even seeing. But SSO is happy, but only wants me to log 1 hour for the half day 1 spent trying to get NKO to cooperate.

KBayDog

But SSO is happy, but only wants me to log 1 hour for the half day 1 spent trying to get NKO to cooperate.

Yes, but don't you feel better now that you learned that if someone sends you an UNCLASS e-mail with a SECRET document attached, you should report it to your security manager? Yay IA training! :thumbup_1

Flippin' NMCI... Hey, at least you get to log an hour. I get to log another half day of my life I'll never get back, not to mention the deferral all of the productive things I could have been doing during that time.

MasterBates

NKO = Total waste of time.

If it's important enough to have annually or once, it's important enough to have a human teach it, and schedule a time, not a "do this while you are writing three awards, trying to make sense out of 1XX's F'ed up audit, while doing an investigation on 603 eating another wingfold actuator".

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, but don't you feel better now that you learned that if someone sends you an UNCLASS e-mail with a SECRET document attached, you should report it to your security manager? Yay IA training! :thumbup_1

Flippin' NMCI... Hey, at least you get to log an hour. I get to log another half day of my life I'll never get back, not to mention the deferral all of the productive things I could have been doing during that time.

A meaningless hour that she claims had to be logged for audit purposes and it doesn't reflect reality of half day lost that I could have been doing good stuff for warfighters yet had to cave to her incessant demands to produce a certificate of completion and fill out my SAAR-N or the world (at least hers) would surely end. Of course it wouldn't print properly so I left her a note and departed at end of day because she was long gone. Next day she wanted me to print it and drop it off. I reminded her NKO and my computer don't like each other so she could print it from her machine and send it to me via guard mail as I wasn't wasting time to come to her location yet again. Talk about tail wagging the dog....

And Friday I had to give into HR lady who said I had to complete yearly Anti-Harassment Training for Supervisors, but at least that let you take the test without sitting through mind-numbing NKO CBT.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And here you had me hoping that in the CIV side of the house, Teh Stoopid would be dumbed down a bit.

The vast majority of the time, I have been shielded from it, but after 17 years of retirement and craftily avoiding the "suck" that befalls those i left behind in uniform and the regimented side of being in civil service, someone decided those of us on NMCI coming and going in Govt spaces needed to partake in their pain.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
It doesn't matter if YOU actually learn anything, all that matters is:
1. That I can show my ISIC that I am in compliance with HHQ instructions
2. That as a leader, I need to ensure that training is understandable by the least common denominator/ statistical outlier on the IQ scale to ensure that I can blame someone else when something gets f*cked up.

That being said, everyone get back on NKO and complete Human Trafficing training, Gov't Travel Card Training and AT/FP annual refresher training.
If anyone complains, we'll delete your email account!!

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Before posting about NKO, which I have NO experience with...Does anyone know how NKO compares to AKO?

Anyone been on both sites? I've heard AKO is much better, but I find that hard to believe. AKO sucks, but unfortunately is vital to keeping part time soldiers up to date. If you are a part time Guard soldier, AKO is your only link to the Army during the rest of the month/year.

MasterBates

Having SEEN both, I'd say AKO is better. Haven't used it. Just watched how it works over the shoulder of an Army friend.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Before posting about NKO, which I have NO experience with...Does anyone know how NKO compares to AKO?

Anyone been on both sites? I've heard AKO is much better, but I find that hard to believe. AKO sucks, but unfortunately is vital to keeping part time soldiers up to date. If you are a part time Guard soldier, AKO is your only link to the Army during the rest of the month/year.

Having SEEN both, I'd say AKO is better. Haven't used it. Just watched how it works over the shoulder of an Army friend.

Having used both I can say with certainty that AKO is FAR AND ABOVE much better than NKO. I am not sure how much that says since NKO is just about as bad as you can get when it comes to IT, NKO takes IT to new levels of idiocy and incompetence. AKO isn't all that great but it generally works/makes sense when trying to use it, even though it is still a government system. NKO on the other hand.......

Which begs the big question, since NKO is infamous for being so bad why hasn't big Navy fixed it? I don't even see it mentioned about that often if at all, almost like it is a lost cause. Except for this little scandal a few years ago, I haven't seen much at all. Has there just been a big collective 'fuck it' on the part of everyone involved with NMCI?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I especially like when I get on NKO, and NMCI decides that I'm visiting an unsafe website and automatically closes my GMT pop up window. It really encourages my timely completion of GMTs.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Went through almost same experience and was told I could log 1 hour of
Security training for it. Besides the lost time going to Pass/ID and waiting
around to get CAC card reset, NKO kept kicking me offline.

Be glad you use CAC access. I am now IRR finishing out my 20 (correspondence courses) via NKO and it is true pain. I think the help desk has a sticky with my name on it! Oh, and don't even try to use a web browser newer than Windows Explorer Antique circa 1999. Maybe that is the problem; that whole Y2K thingy?