• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO's instructing at Meridian/Kingsville

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Followed by: "Shit, knock it off, over-G"

And BTW I heard that same call outside my friends room on Prom Night. Think he already had ACM on his mind?

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
NFO's leave NPA knowing that the IP will come through for 'em if things really get ugly. I've advocated for a long time that SNFO's should get a T-34 solo. While fiscally impossible, it would teach an unforgettable lesson about responsibility and "ownership".

...And, point.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
RADM Guadagnini came by yesterday and informed us that not only is this happening, but it'll be in place by next year.
VT-4 has selected an F-15E WSO, F-18D WSO, and P-3 Tacco to begin the process of earning a NATOPS qual in the T-6 to eventually train instructor pilots going through the FITU. The local pipeline is being developed by a senior Marine Prowler pilot who runs our STAN shop.
Not the same as placing guys folks in the back of the -45 with SNA's, but interesting that NFO diversification is coming from many angles within CNATRA.

Interesting times...

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
VT-4 has selected an F-15E WSO, F-18D WSO, and P-3 Tacco to begin the process of earning a NATOPS qual in the T-6 to eventually train instructor pilots going through the FITU.
Is it a NATOPS pilot qual?:confused::confused::confused: Are they NFO's coincidentally with appropriate civilian ratings? Technically, an NFO could have the appropriate civlian ratings and get a checkout in the plane.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
This will last right up to the point where we lose a plane and/or crew because they didn't have a pilot in the back TEACHING SOMEONE HOW TO FLY.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Dumb Idea.... Save money... Saves money until they plant one... Again Dumb Idea... Save it for the later when dudes have proven their skills... And as for IUT... Instructor Under Training to me means being taught by another Instructor trained to instruct in said phase... ????

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
When we get our NATOPS qual in the T-34C, the IP in the back is an experienced pilot. I would assume the NFO giving a NATOPS qual in a T-6 would have to have quite a bit of time in the aircraft. Matter of fact, I was checked out in the T-34C by a guy with over 3000 T-34C hours...as a pilot. Not all have that experience but you get my point.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
more notes from Friday...RADM Guadagnini also stated "The future of naval aviation is multi-crew aircraft" (JSF aside). The NFO training VT's are not going away, they (instructor NFO's) will spread out to Meridien and Kingsville as well as P-cola.

As far as the test subjects for the T-6 Natops qual:
The F-15E WSO has a lot of stick time. The Hornet WSO and Tacco have none.

The NATOPS qual is still a little fuzzy (i.e. Inst qual? Solo?...)

Also, OP-T guys have been approved a "specialty career path" as of 3 weeks by NavPers...what that means after the Department Head tour is anyone's guess. Promotion, supposedly yes but probably not at the rate of Operational folks. Nevertheless, folks could stay in the VT command pipeline...could be a good deal, and a ton of flying...

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Well, we'll see how that works out. I'm taking an IA next year so that I can hopefully get what I want on the backside, VT-4 or VT-10 flying the T-6.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
more notes from Friday...... instructor NFO's will spread out to Meridien and Kingsville ...
No shit?? Meridien ?? I'd take that over Kingsville any day; that chain has some VERY nice hotels .... damn NFO's always get the cushy deals ...

le_royal_meridien_jumeirah_beach_hotel.jpg

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Okay, you got me A4's. It's Saturday and the bloody mary's were a little stiff this morning...

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Isn't the point of the FITU (or whatever you call it) to teach about the handling characteristics and procedures for actually flying the jet (meridian/krock specific)?? A portion of the instructor syllabus is actually stick and rudder, the rest is how to actually teach another pilot how to do it all and common student mistakes (I almost died stories for validity). One sea tour complete WSO's do some flight instructing in a pretty busy environment on cruise, but with natops qualed pilots at the controls.

They used to waive lots of the syllabus for digital cockpit folks, there is indeed some overkill if those folks have to do every flight, thus some flights where NFOII's (instructor instructors) could possibly be utilized... but why not cut out those flights and pocket the $?

When a single seat dude shows up to his NA-x spin hop and has a double anchor dude in his back seat it will make for an interesting flight... Ive seen scarier departures, landings, passes and PA's from IP's than students (you know when to take the controls from the students, NFOIP's can't take the controls ever)...

Folks at CNATRA obviously think their smarter/funnier/faster than anyone in the trenches... stand by for fistycuffs in the FITU!

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
How can an NFO honestly grade a student PILOT on his “piloting” skills when the NFO instructor has never flown himself? Fucking comical in my mind! Nothing personal against NFO's but if I was getting critiqued by an NFO IP on, let's say my landings or my Form/TacForm's/Wep's Pattern/BFM, I'd say "you have controls, demo me a pass" ... I feel sorry for the NFO's selected for this "program", they will have zero credibility with the students ... not only will the students not take them seriously, neither will the pilot IP's.

What the fuck is going on in Naval Aviation? What I’d like to know is who’s getting the Navy Comm with this brilliant idea?

Semper Fidelis