• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO's instructing at Meridian/Kingsville

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone else want to dogpile on how NFO's cant teach Pilots anything? That's kind of funny, I remember being assigned a Nugget in my Fleet squadron and teaching him lots of stuff.

Continue to tell me I can't do something, just makes me want to DISPROVE you all even more.

-ea6bflyr ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Anyone else want to dogpile on how NFO's cant teach Pilots anything? That's kind of funny, I remember being assigned a Nugget in my Fleet squadron and teaching him lots of stuff. ...
Ditto ... at least to a certain extent.

To back up even a little further -- it was virtually all pilots in the A-4 RAG (obviously), but when I reached the Intruder Rag, most of our ground instruction, weapons & weapons delivery instruction, and virtually ALL of the systems instruction was done by RAG B/N's ... and most of our instructional FRP hops were conducted w/ a RAG B/N in the right seat ... it worked.

I just don't know about the TRACOM and providing NFO instructors for pilot STUDs IN the airplane ... my chief concern is w/ airborne emergencies. By the time we had reached the RAG, we knew "how to fly" ... we were still learning, granted, but you're ALWAYS "still learning" -- it never stops.

But I really cannot think of one TRACOM airborne application where an Instructor NFO would have been at least equal to the Aviator Instructor -- other than the obvious: to fill a seat as a "safety" observer. But then ... what could the NFO have done if things got out of hand and became "unsafe" ... ??? He couldn't very well say: "I've got it".

But in the A-6 RAG -- it worked beautifully. Our first 500'/500 KIAS LABs delivery was with an Instructor B/N in the right seat. It took guts balls for the B/N to go over the top and ride through that -- but then again, the FRP "knew" how to fly ... :)

I suspect NFO Instructors could/would work as well in the FA-18 RAG ...

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
I'm not talking about NFO's teaching pilots ... I'm talking about them teaching student pilots at advanced, dudes who don't have their wings.

Anyone else want to dogpile on how NFO's cant teach Pilots anything? That's kind of funny, I remember being assigned a Nugget in my Fleet squadron and teaching him lots of stuff.

Continue to tell me I can't do something, just makes me want to DISPROVE you all even more.

-ea6bflyr ;)

MasterBates

I met one of the NFOs that's going to be an NFO IP at the club this week when I was installing stuff on the CubiCat, and he was really unsure of what the hell he was going to do. Talked about stuff, and when the 45D comes out and they download stuff from the RAG to the VTs, then it may make sense.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None

-ea6bflyr ;)

T-45 OCF flight. Recover when he fucks it away.

Just busting balls. :D

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
T-45 OCF flight. Recover when he fucks it away.

Just busting balls. :D
Heck, my T-45 OCF flight was damn near a demo/do . . . IP: "show me x."
Me: *does maneuver*
IP: "OK, I have the controls."
*30 sec of IP octoflugeron to get in position"
IP: "OK, show me Y."

Wash, rinse, repeat. Come back after 45min, full stop, hot pit, hot switch. Two guys in one cycle.

Paddles

I've never met an NFO that ever thought he had any business teaching a pilot "monkey skills" and I never met an LSO that sucked behind the boat (or at least he didn't have a very long career as one).

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've never met an NFO that ever thought he had any business teaching a pilot "monkey skills" and I never met an LSO that sucked behind the boat (or at least he didn't have a very long career as one).

I never said that an NFO could teach a pilot Monkey Skills....but an NFO can teach most pilots something.

Then you never met my Squadron LSO.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Paddles

ea6bflyr- sounds like we are in full agreement. Some of the best instructors I've ever met were ECMOs. However, SNAs are not pilots (yet), they are STUDENTS and thus need other pilots teaching them the monkey skills they learn prior to earning their wings.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Going most of the way through the syllabus, the only place that I can see this work. Is Getting the instrument card (IR's in VMC conditions, and Late stage airnavs). It gives me confort knowing if i'm in the goo It gives me confort knowing I've got somebody who won't let me fuck us. If I have a NFO, I'm one bad descision away from fucking both of us. One jet will cost more money than this will ever save. If they added something to the syllabus (another stage) something that incorporated SNA-NFO training I see this as being viable, otherwise no. But everything is above my paygrade.