• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Next Pilot/NFO/SWO Rolling Board in February 2015

Subhunter116

SubHunter116
I've currently got orders to a carrier and this board's outcome could cancel my orders along with my move, until then I'm prepping as if I'm moving from VA to WA. Is anybody else in a similar situation? Does anyone have a NLT date for the board? I transfer to my school in March, so once I check out from my current command I have no idea how to keep tabs on the results? I am applying for SWO. It would suck to be moving across country and find out I made it and have to turn around mid move.

slater44

None
You can't apply within 3 months of PCS orders. Ref OPNAVINST pg 4-11 and 4-12 item (d) Transfer Policy. Also, on page 5 of the fleet application, item 35, there's a little snippet about that.

Subhunter116

SubHunter116
Yeah I submitted back in November. 5 months out of my PRD. Read the instruction a time or two haha. OCS processors and detailer both confirmed execute orders until official word of getting picked up.

slater44

None
Yeah I submitted back in November. 5 months out of my PRD. Read the instruction a time or two haha. OCS processors and detailer both confirmed execute orders until official word of getting picked up.

I dunno what to tell you, doesn't the instruction say that your CO should hold your orders in abeyance until official notification? So that would negate your move, assuming your CO is in the loop and willing to contact NPC on your behalf, but then again, I'm no NC or PS

Subhunter116

SubHunter116
Yeah, I actually brought that up to the CCC and like I said detailer, admin department, and OCS both confirmed execute orders until told otherwise.

slater44

None
Since the board is in Feb (supposedly) and results are typically pushed via BOL to triads the following business day, your CO may not be concerned with this as your selection will void your PCS, per the 1420.1b pg 4-11, which says,

"If the applicant is selected, NAVPERSCOM order originator will be notified by the fleet OCS processor that the individual has been selected. The transfer orders will then be cancelled and orders for officer training will be issued. If the applicant is not selected, the command should transfer the individual and notify the orders originator and the gaining command that the orders have been executed."

That lays out your situation pretty clearly to me. You will only have to worry about your CO holding orders in abeyance if the board does not occur in Feb.

Subhunter116

SubHunter116
Yes Slater, that has been my understanding throughout this process, I was mainly curious if any other active duty was in a similar situation?

slater44

None
Got it dude, just trying to be helpful...my point is that I don't think you'll have to check out of your command before knowing the results.

I got the same story from my OR. I'm no expert so this is gouge. My O.R. called me with the same story, almost got me to go NFO. My father is an O5, and made a phone call to a buddy who is in recruiting… Some information got passed and phone calls were made… My NRD miraculously found room to let me apply with SNA as my first choice. So, if you can't get it where you are now, maybe consider a different NRD? Again, I am fortunate to have the family I do with the connections they have. My understanding is that the quotas are completely NRD specific, they may be trying to push you to fill a quota they aren't meeting. My guess. Take it or leave it.

I just read this now going back through the thread. I'd disagree with your guess, since I've had lengthy conversations with my recruiter about my application being held until September. Either NRD Portland is truly closed in those programs, or my recruiter is the most brazen and believable liar I've ever met. My opinion is the former, and I think your family connections are the reason for getting around what your recruiter told you. Especially with your father being a Commander. I don't mean that offensively or jealously, just trying to interpret why your situation is different. Good for you, though. That's awesome.

What NRD are you from, out of curiosity?

Dang, I'm cutting it close. My recruiter said that his processor will upload my kit tomorrow and send it off and that it should be good for the February boards...

Hopefully I have a good chance of making the board/being accepted into the Navy.

SWO/Supply applicant
25 Male non-prior
OAR: 53
BA Sociology
GPA: 3.3
LOR: Prior managers at previous work place.

Think I have a decent chance?

SWO almost certainly, but recent stats of the Navy being overmanned in SWO would make me a tiny bit worried, even though your scores suggest you're obviously qualified. Supply, maybe. Supply is very competitive now. Kinda weird to me because apparently a lot more people want non-warfare qualified restricted line jobs than I thought. Good luck to you, man. Let us know.

Last edited:

iFly14

pilot
I just read this now going back through the thread. I'd disagree with your guess, since I've had lengthy conversations with my recruiter about my application being held until September. Either NRD Portland is truly closed in those programs, or my recruiter is the most brazen and believable liar I've ever met. My opinion is the former, and I think your family connections are the reason for getting around what your recruiter told you. Especially with your father being a Commander. I don't mean that offensively or jealously, just trying to interpret why your situation is different. Good for you, though. That's awesome.

What NRD are you from, out of curiosity?

I'm from STL. My statement is also based on what RUFiO has been saying. Best of luck to you whatever happens.

jzaaa

SWO almost certainly, but recent stats of the Navy being overmanned in SWO would make me a tiny bit worried, even though your scores suggest you're obviously qualified. Supply, maybe. Supply is very competitive now. Kinda weird to me because apparently a lot more people want non-warfare qualified restricted line jobs than I thought. Good luck to you, man. Let us know.
Appreciate your input and will keep you posted! Ah this wait is driving me crazy :)