• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Next Board ~ April 2011

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Hey so if I took more classes this summer in prep for Grad School in Fall, will that effect my GPA for the package? Or is it strictly Undergrad courses.?

As my recruiter told me, the Navy takes into account your total academic record; so graduate courses are included.

that mike guy

JSUPT primary @ VAFB, Enid, OK
Take this with a grain of salt, but I spoke with my recruiter yesterday and he said that the April board had been cancelled and suspended indefinitely. He told me some billets are full and will not take more candidates until 2012 (world ends this year so doesn't matter anyways) but that some still need to meet quotas and may be opened back up later this year. Just consider this as another thing one person has heard, but one thing I did take away from our conversation was that whenever board are opened again, there are going to be more highly qualified candidates than there will be spots so those who are lacking in their package probably won't make it :/. good luck everyone, whenever the boards may be.

Lucy

Hey so if I took more classes this summer in prep for Grad School in Fall, will that effect my GPA for the package? Or is it strictly Undergrad courses.?

I was asking my OP about this, and the way the form works now is that all of your grades from any instititution are used in the cummulative GPA page that is part of your packet.

However, on the first page of the application, the GPA is what you recieved from the university you graduated from/current university when studying your BA/BS. Once you complete your Masters that changes, but until its completetion the Grad school level classes just go onto the calculation page.

So overall, the grades can help with the calculation page, but until you finish the degree it is not as big of a deal. But, if you had a lackluster GPA for your undergrad it is worth mentioning in your moto statement/elsewhere about the good job you are doing in the classes to show progress.

X

xxxCharliexxx

You sure about that Lucy? Last time I checked (which was when I put in my packet), if you attend graduate school then your Graduate GPA is separate than that of your Undergraduate GPA. It DOES matter even if you haven't received your master's degree (at the time, I hadn't either) and THEY ARE TWO separate GPA's...the grades from your undergraduate degree/classes and graduate degrees/classes are never added and cumulatively averaged.

He will have an undergraduate GPA (cumulative and major GPA), and he will have a graduate GPA (cumulative only since graduate degrees are geared to a specific focus - i.e. you don't have to take liberal arts class for elective towards your Biology graduate degree, you only take biology related courses).

And it is a big deal even if he never gets his degree in a graduate program. But most people get a more boastful graduate GPA for the reason stated earlier - you don't have to take boring, unrelated classes and you are there for a specific focus and desire....so ultimately, since you are interested in the topic and class, you perform better and get higher grades.

Good news is that if on the first page, it asks for GPA (and only room for one), he CAN and SHOULD put his most CURRENT GPA - which, if he is taking graduate courses and has only completed one class and received an "A" - then, poof, he has a current GPA of 4.0. His transcripts will reflect his undergraduate degree obtained and his major and cumulative GPA that he received on that degree and his graduate transcripts will reflect his current graduate GPA and degree plan.

But never, to my knowledge, are the two ever combined in calculations.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
You sure about that Lucy? Last time I checked (which was when I put in my packet), if you attend graduate school then your Graduate GPA is separate than that of your Undergraduate GPA. It DOES matter even if you haven't received your master's degree (at the time, I hadn't either) and THEY ARE TWO separate GPA's...the grades from your undergraduate degree/classes and graduate degrees/classes are never added and cumulatively averaged.

A new application came out around August/September of last year... Things have changed... She has pretty good info usually...

Lucy

The info is what my OP supervisor said in reference to the new application, so I am unsure if this was a change.

The cummulative page calls for a list of each school attended beyond high school, regardless of level, and the GPA at each school. At the bottom it has all of the school GPAs averaged. Outside of the cummulative GPA page there is not currently a place to list your BA and MA GPAs as seperate. However, as we have all seen what is suppose to be done, and what is done with applications, varies greatly, so generally I just recommend going with what your OR says, unless you find documentation that clearly says to do otherwise. There might be a page for your Masters GPA but I have not been able to find one. "Masters classes are helpful, but until you complete your Masters they want the GPA you earned at your institution that you recieved your BA/BS from"-per my OP.

Always with a grain of salt, but I have yet to have my OR or my OP not be accurate.

X

xxxCharliexxx

The cummulative page calls for a list of each school attended beyond high school, regardless of level, and the GPA at each school.

"Masters classes are helpful, but until you complete your Masters they want the GPA you earned at your institution that you recieved your BA/BS from"-per my OP.

I think we are saying the same thing - two different ways. As you just stated, and as I stated previously, each school is listed and each GPA of that school is listed - separately....including the schools you haven't obtained a degree from (yet). So what if you haven't gotten your degree yet? They still want your GPA - listed separately for each institution. Which is what I thought the OP was asking in the first place. Maybe I read his original post wrong. But basically, if each GPA is listed separately, it won't really help him in the way he was hoping it would.

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
Just to let you all know, things are getting bleaker. A bunch of people from earlier classes got bumped back into what was supposed to be my OCS class date -- except my OCS class date got moved back 3 months.

Flying Toaster

None
Well for those so inclined, the AF just announced another rated board for something like 50 pilot slots. Of course that's not it, the kicker being...
...120+ RPA slots. Puke.gif

Looking on the bright side at least they are getting guys who want to do it, instead of non vols and dropping them out of UPT.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Hmm thanks guys :) I only ask because I like my GPA, and summer classes suck. So who knows what grades I will pull.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Okay so here is what my recruiter said. He said until you reach at least half of your credit hours required towards your master's it has no affect on your gpa calculations..

I heard from the officer in charge of my NRD that there will be a pilot/NFO board in the August/September area, which would count towards the next FY. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard anything similar to this.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
That's a guestemite im sure. There is a possibility(very small) they may have one in May.. But unlikely. What I've personally been told is the new schedules will be out October 1st, 2011 for the next board dates. Meaning, there could be one in October, or may not be one for another couple months after.. At this point anything is possible.

VNE

I heard that there may or may not be a board in the near or distant future....The point is that we should all have an appplication package turned in ASAP regardless of when the board decides to convene. We should also be constantly bettering ourselves to become more competitive thoughout these weeks/months/years/life (it sounds like we are going to need it.) This is the BEST thing we can be doing right now because it is all we can control. Just my .02

That's what I thought as well. I've been checking this thread regularly just to see what people have heard, but this was the first time I've heard something from someone in my area, so I was just wondering if it was a new update and if anyone else had heard something similar. Thanks for the info. Time to P90X again...