• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

new a-pool procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Of course this happens 2 weeks before I report. Damn. Hopefully I class up for IFS ASAP then.

UMichfly

pilot
None
Completely disagree. Commissioned O's or not, it (life in general but especially as an aviator) is and will always be all about taking care of the bros, in my opinion. I like knowing that when the chips are down, someone has my back no matter what. They can expect the same from me.

Wow, nothin' like an A-pooler telling Schnugg a.k.a. "I was pissing excellence when you were still in diapers" how life in general as an aviator is. Sorry dude, but there is a big difference between covering for normal JO shenaniganery (yeah it's a word...now) and "taking care of your bros" while they are being shitty officers.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
They also haven't spent 4 years waking up early and wearing the same thing everyday. Give it time. The cynicism will come.

So four years of wearing a uniform will give you cynicism? I guess I didn't get the memo. Your an Officer now, look like one and not some nasty dirtbag. The old "I am a salty Ensign from the Academy" line doesn't work. I have heard many Academy types say what you just said and while I can understand wearing a uniform everyday in college would suck it does not give you a free pass at dress and appearance. Look like shit at the school, not in front of the Enlisted or your peers once you get the commission. Not trying to come off as a ass (I know I did) but it needs to be said.

As for the rest of this thread:

- Agreed that its the individual and not the commissioning source.

- Wear brown shoes

- Dip your cover

- Don't be a douche

utak

The funny part of all of this is, if "that" guy knows how much we're talking about him, both on AW and in real-life yet we've never met him.

He's definately a candidate for the Blue Falcon of the Year Award.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
He was from the Academy, I guess they don't learn that there. You won't see that happening to an OCS'er.

Well, to be fair, it's the first time they've been on their own as an adult outside of a controlled or at least heavily regimented environment, especially given how the A-pool used to be. We saw that sort of stuff occasionally on the Green side too, guys go from high school, to the Academy, to TBS, and then wake up in Pensacola with nothing to do for weeks on end.

It of course doesn't affect the vast majority of them, but the Academy grad incidents always seemed more.....colorful.

MasterBates

I think that is the issue. Most of the USNA (and other "Lockdown" schools like VMI and the Citadel) guys were fine, but the "large" incidents when I was there were all Lockdown school guys. I think if those In-DUH-viduals were in a normal school or ROTC unit they would have DQ'd themselves or gotten it out of their system already.

First real "freedom" in their lives, and they have never learned how to deal with it.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I get so sick and tired of people bashing the Academy. Point the finger at the person, not the commissioning source.

If the shoe fits. . . When I was around in May the shit-baggedness went through the roof. Jogging my memory I would say that the majority of the ones looking like they threw their khakis on the ground and just put them on for muster were wearing? You guessed it, a pizza stain and pistol/rifle ribbons. Last I checked ROTC studs don't get those.

That being said, I saw the train a long time ago. People were looking like complete ass. I don't mean one or two guys at muster, but packs of people just thinking that they could show up in an unpressed uniform and walking around the building conducting daily business. It's complete stupidity on their part that fucked everyone else. I feel bad for the new guys showing up, but the ones in a-pool now, you didn't call them out on it, and like always, everyone is paying for their shit. I don't agree with it, but I definitely saw some sort of crackdown coming. Didn't think it would be this bad though.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Well, to be fair, it's the first time they've been on their own as an adult outside of a controlled or at least heavily regimented environment, especially given how the A-pool used to be. We saw that sort of stuff occasionally on the Green side too, guys go from high school, to the Academy, to TBS, and then wake up in Pensacola with nothing to do for weeks on end.

It of course doesn't affect the vast majority of them, but the Academy grad incidents always seemed more.....colorful.

That shouldn't excuse them from their behavior. They chose to go to the Academy and as such should be very used to the standards.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Completely disagree. Commissioned O's or not, it (life in general but especially as an aviator) is and will always be all about taking care of the bros, in my opinion. I like knowing that when the chips are down, someone has my back no matter what. They can expect the same from me.

If you suck on your NATOPS/Inst Check/2P/HAC/Division lead/etc checkride, I'm going to tell you. It has nothing to do w/ whether or not I have your back or not, I just don't want you in my cockpit/on my wing/in my general vicinity if you can't hack it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
what i don't understand is why they don't just kick those types out of aviation? they're looking to get rid of SNA's so why not show people who cannot handle themselves the door?

Where are you getting this? The numbers have actually increased over the last 3 years.

No reason something like that should be known up the chain unless it becomes a multiple offense kind of deal that can't be dealt with on the A-pool level, in my opinion. I thought A-pool was supposed to be kind of like JOPA-in-training?!?

Not so much. It's the training command...night and day from your RAG and fleet squadron.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow, the wisdom and experience from all of the old hands here just amazes me. Such wise words from such a distingushed crowd of wizened veterans.

Give.....me.....a.......fucking.........break (MB excepted). :icon_roll

I find it mildly amusing that you would want to whine about getting 'shafted' while in A pool. Fine, though it would probably be better if you did it with your buddies over beer when you hit the beach in the afternoon than on AW. It is even kind of amusing when you start bashing certain schools because you are such a stud/studette and graduated from OCS. But when you do it from the perspective of someone who has shown up to muster at A pool about a dozen times, or even have gotten as far as Primary, you look like an idiot.

As has been pointed out by many people many times on this board, you can't tell the difference between an OCS, USNA or an ROTC grad out in the fleet. There are idiots, superstars, drunks, womanizers, cheapskates, good sticks and buddy f#ckers from every commisioning source, the gene pool is big enough to ensure that. Some of the best officers I have ever met were OCS/USNA/ROTC guys and some of the worst officers I ever met were OCS/USNA/ROTC guys. And just to give you some perspective, no one ever guesses where I graduated from school until I tell them.

So you all can circle jerk among your buddies about how great your commisioning source was, secure in your knowledge that _____ was the best.

First real "freedom" in their lives, and they have never learned how to deal with it.

Because I sat at home and played tiddlywinks on the weekends and summer break. If you want to believe a stereotype, then it is true. Isn't that how it works? I can rattle off several colorful things OCS guys have done in my time, in proportion to their numbers. Never attributed it to them being 90 day wonders though.

Yeah, as a NROTC product, this has been my first experience interacting with a lot of OCS guys and I have to say that in my very short time here, they seem on average to conduct themselves the most professionally of the bunch.

I don't mean to bash on anyone's commissioning source, though. As others have said, there's good ones and there's dirtbags coming out of each.
That may very well be true. But you need to remember that some people have been playing the game for a few months, whereas others have done so for a few years. It's not very hard to be 'professional' only a few months removed from being indoctrinated.

And another fyi, no one gives a shit where you went to school. Sure, you'll find out over time who went where, but these idiotic generalizations completely disappear once you leave Disneyland.

Rubiks06

pilot
Step up .....

Maybe you guys should change this to ALL NAVAL ACADEMY GRADS SUCK....or....NAVAL ACADEMY GRADS ARE MEAN TO ME.........mods...???

I mean...I go looking for ROTC or OCS guys to tell them how much better than them I am....Its been a little while since i was in a-pool but can you all tell what an OCS/USNA/ROTC guy looks like just by looking at them? They all look like ensigns/jg's to me.

I think the point is...ENSIGNS/JG's are screwing it up for everyone else, instead of bitching about it, maybe step up and show some leadership and straighten them out before someone higher up has to do it for you. I dont know...maybe thats not the "cool" thing to do. You are right, its more fun to bitch about it. I do notice that most of you bitching about it have SNA written down in your profiles somewhere. GATORDEV hit it on the nose if someone is AFU tell them, dont let them put your ass in the water on a dark night because you wanted to be cool and not say something about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.