• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Needing serious advice and opinions to all

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelu55

To all Air Warriors,
Need some advice. I became intrested in the Marines because I always wanted to fly(Jets of course) for the military. However, after being a member of Air Warriors I have found out that there is a very high chance that I will only fly for a short period of time before my B-Billet. However, my soul purpose for pursuing the Marines is to become a aviator first and Officer second.
So my question is, am I looking into the Marines for the wrong reasons? I dont want to commit to six years and regret it because I only flew for a short period.
I was also looking into the Army as a Warrant Officer, because from what I heard they specifically fly and dont get transferred to a ground job. The only thing making me dislike the Army is that its a step down. Specifically the training and competitiviness reguarding a resume when I retire and start looking at civilian aviation. What would you guys and gals recommened, should I continue with the Marines or look at another branch.

NuSnake

Be a Marine if you want to be a Marine, and for no other reason, at least thats the way I look at it.

If a frog had wings he wouldnt bump his ass all the time

perchul

Are you kidding? That is one of the most absurd proclamation I've heard in awhile, so much so I assume its just to rouse all of us up. Why would you choose Marines to be an aviator, do you just like the Marine uniforms better? You want to be an aviator first, go through commercial flight school...join the service because you want to serve you country and your fellow servicemen and women. 6 years? Your not going out for pilot then because its 8 after you get winged; in other words your looking at damn near 10 years. Now maybe I shouldn't speak for the other branches but I think even the army may look down on that mentality.

Tolerance only benefits the weak

perchul

Are you kidding? That is one of the most absurd proclamation I've heard in awhile, so much so I assume its just to rouse all of us up. Why would you choose Marines to be an aviator, do you just like the Marine uniforms better? You want to be an aviator first, go through commercial flight school...join the service because you want to serve you country and your fellow servicemen and women. 6 years? Your not going out for pilot then because its 8 after you get winged; in other words your looking at damn near 10 years. Now maybe I shouldn't speak for the other branches but I think even the army may look down on that mentality.

Tolerance only benefits the weak

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Perchul is right... this is absolutely rediculous. No... You should never consider being a Marine. I won't continue to give you reasons because your post was written and phrased in such a way that it appears you posted with the intent of pissing people off. (e.g. "I want to be an aviator first and an officer second"). Basically, if you are going to make a fake post, at least make it funny like "college guy".

wonderboy47

Just in case this is a serious question, I'll give a serious answer: I would honestly reccommend you look elsewhere. Especially if a "six" year committment scares you. There are easier ways to fly than in the Marines. There are easier ways to serve your country than in the Marines. Just about everything Marines do COULD be done easier, but that's what makes us the Marines.
If you do apply, please be honest in your personal statement with "I want to fly first and be an officer second." That will guarantee you won't get in.

Goliath112

I think he is for real guys...he has posted quite alot on this board and none of it was funny. Chelu55 if this is how you feel, I would seriously consider your reasons for becoming an officer. It must always be Officer First, Job Second. If all you want to do is fly then go the civilian route. You'd hate the military with that attitude.

reapergm

Man, I would give my left jewel to be a Marine Officer... To be a pilot just makes the best job that much better. And like Perch said... its 8 years (with the jets) after getting the wings. You get the wings after 9 months of OCS and TBS, then 2 years of flight training. Thats 11 years of a SERIOUS committment. The one thing about the Marines is the Marine applicants are SERIOUSLY/INTENSE about become MARINES. Marines are known for their pride as well as competitiveness. DO NOT consider the Marines if all you want is pilot lessons for civilian life. Not trying to be a jerk, but it downplays all the dreams that we Marine applicants have because we spend every waking (as well as sleeping) hour dreaming of MARINE OCS. This is advice only, dont take it as an insult. -Gav

Praying to get in 184

O-man

The air force- thats the way to go if you just want to be a pilot. They dont have B-bilits (as I understand) there pilots just fly . that it. as was stated like a ba'zillion times- if you want to be a Marine- and like the idea of flying for them too- than your alright- if not, it wont take long before you find you have made a mistake. Its one hell of a culture when your on the other side of the fence- and you had better want to be there.

mccabe1919

chelu55,
Don't waste your time even thinking about it. If by some hope in hell you were even given the honor of being selected they would weed your ass out the first day at OCS... And I think the order actually goes something like this:
Marine FIRST, Officer SECOND, Pilot THIRD!!!

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
I think he sounds like air national guard material to me...but even they might have a problem

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

spsiratt

24 April OCS
AF ain't gonna work for ya either. I'm not sure what a B-billet is, but I'm gathering that it's some sort of ground duty. You can expect a lot of that on top of flying in the AF. Officers in the AF call them "additional duties" and you'd have about a million of 'em. AF has enough officers that they don't have to trust us lowly enlisted folk to do much more than answer phones. Ok, that's not true of some enlisted jobs (like mine), but a lot. One more reason I'm going Navy.
I think wildflyin69 is right though. The guard might take ya, they're all about useless anyway. I'm sure they can use another half-motivated airline pilot wrapped in a green bag.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Actually, the Air National Guard is an excellent outfit. They do have some pilot hired just off of the street but many of their pilots did several tours in the Air Force, in the Navy, and in the Marines. Back home, the SC Air National Guard has been known to win the top trophy among all active and reserve Air Force squadrons. Also, there has been a fundamental change in the roles of the guard - many are essential to active duty units such as tanker support. If you have any other questions about the guard and reserves, by all means write in - I just finished a graduate research paper on this issue.

By the way, I am one of those "airline pilots" who flies - a lot - in the reserves....

chelu55

My bad for pissing you guys off.
I think people are taking me the wrong way. Im not thinking about joining the military to get free lessons for the civilian work. But I am looking at whats going to happen to me when I retire. Sorry, If I am being realistic about things, but I sure about less than 1/2 of the people are going to get twenty years. If so what are you going to do after twenty years? You still have to go to civilian life.
My whole intention to become an aviator is to serve my country! But perchful is right I am not going to serve my country if I have to clean toliets. I dont know if that is not being patriotic or not but I am being realistic.
I am looking at joining the military to serve my country and as an investment. That my be why many dont agree with me. However, I do appreciate the comments. Thanks to all, even perchful.

Status
Not open for further replies.