• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Needing serious advice and opinions to all

Status
Not open for further replies.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
You will bounce back and forth between your primary MOS (flying) and your B-Billet (could be anything - flight instructor, FAC tour, OSO duty, anything) for your career in any branch of the service (perhaps excluding army warrant officers.)

mccabe1919

chelu55,
You mean other than being a pilot in the civilian world? Do you like DC? If so you have hundreds of government jobs to choose from that PAY! Or even civilian govt. contractors who are always looking for consultants (general term for product enhancers) like Lockheed Martin, Boeing etc. Oh yea, and this pay is extra because you will be getting 40% of your active duty pay for the rest of your life after retirement. It is probably the wisest long-term career move you can make in the military.

perchul

Chelu its not about the twenty years and lots of us are being realistic which means many of us realize that we won't be flying in the commercial world after we get out anyway...at least not in this market. There are many other opportunities for us in other realms if we decide to leave the military, I truly believe that a Marines leadership abilities are unparalleled and what we learn can be passed on to others. And another little tidbit if you want to troll the friendly skys, then the only plane that really counts while your in the Marines is the c-130 which is actually a prop...Delta doesn't hire people who fly hot rods because Delta doesn't have hot rods they have cargo.

Tolerance only benefits the weak

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
perchul, where you from in Brooklyn?

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

chiplee

Registered Boozer
pilot
chelu, I don't see any real reason to come down on you so hard. For good reason the guys here seem to be wrapped around the axle about love of God Country and Corps and that's outstanding. I promise you however, that you are not alone in your feelings about the future and wanting to fly "really bad" The OSO will have you make a written statement about why you want to be a Marine and I assure you that if he didn't coach guys not to say " I want to fly " he would have alot of trouble. You've been honest and integrity is a valuable leadership trait. In fact you were honest in the face of certain criticism (unless you didn't know they'd bash you for that statement ;^) Either way I think you have as much potential to be an effective leader of Marines as the next guy. I mean you're not a Marine officer now so you certainly can't be expected to show all the traits of one. I suggest you take some time to learn a bit about the Marine Corps, and learn what it is that makes these guys so proud, and so eager to point you in another direction because you admitted you want to fly first and foremost. If you find yourself falling in love with the commitment and ideals Marines represent, then you're probably finding a balance between your goal to be an aviator, and your goal to be one of the best and brightest. For right now though, no, you're not ready. No one is born ready though, so don't be discouraged. It's up to you to learn about the Marine Corps and make a calculated choice about whether you'd be a valuable member who contributes something to the cause of making Marines and winning battles.

vipersig.jpg

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
First of all chiplee, what the hell is that at the bottom of your post and why is it showing me my IP address and telling me what stuff I'm running???? Second of all, that was a very diplomatic response :)

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

chiplee

Registered Boozer
pilot
Originally posted by perchul
And another little tidbit if you want to troll the friendly skys, then the only plane that really counts while your in the Marines is the c-130 which is actually a prop...Delta doesn't hire people who fly hot rods because Delta doesn't have hot rods they have cargo.

In my experience, this statement is totally inaccurate. There was a move away from the single seat mentality in the airlines because it was getting people killed, (right seaters afraid to speak up to the Tomcat pilot in the left seat) but the move involved crew resource management training, not hiring pilots from crew served airplanes. Marines also fly C-9s, although you'll never select that out of flight school. the general consensus of opinion is that airframe has little if any influence on your likelihood of flying for the airlines. I know hornet guys leave and do it all the time.

vipersig.jpg

chiplee

Registered Boozer
pilot
Originally posted by wildflyin69
First of all chiplee, what the hell is that at the bottom of your post and why is it showing me my IP address and telling me what stuff I'm running???? Second of all, that was a very diplomatic response :)

That little thing is just a reminder of how easy it is to log your IP and a few other tidbits at every site you go to. Nothing special really. Everyone who has a website and wants that info about people who come to it can have it..

As for my post, yeah you'd think I was an OSO or something huh?
idea_125.gif

vipersig.jpg

perchul

Well since I can't say from first hand experience about the air frame I'll just say thats one of the tidbits a Marine Major discussed with a few of us during a flight orientation program as for the C-9...yes chip was right

perchul

phew good no one posted, I feel it necessary to qualify me remark about the airframe. As it was explained it seemed to be that the "quickest" transistions to flying the big airliners was from cargo...certainly not the only way

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
C-130's, EA-6B's, and F-18's all qualify as multi-engine turbine and you will get hired with that flight time. Harriers are single engine turbine and not quite as good. Helo time isn't even counted on a lot of airline applications. And as for that C-9 slot, those are B-Billets and so rare that its like winning the lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.