• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Needing serious advice and opinions to all

Status
Not open for further replies.

chelu55

Chiplee,
Thanks for the information. Finally, someone that used their brain first and not there ego. I like what you say and think you are right. Its time for me to do some research. O'yeh, I had a feeling I was going to get some sh*t about my comment, but it was the only way for me to get my point across.

chiplee

Registered Boozer
pilot
Well you're welcome but it's not their ego so much as their esprit de corps. With that attitude they don't want you to join their beloved Corps. Quite frankly niether do I. I do recognize a potential for you to educate yourself to a point where you might make a decent candidate, so I wanted to explain that to you so you don't run off and join the air farce, (a fate I'd wish on no man). You'll be alright once you understand some things about the Marine Corps. Admittedly, some of the things you need to understand can only be learned in training to become a Marine. The discipline, and motivation required to complete OCS and TBS will help you understand once and for all why you are a Marine Rifleman at heart from day one, and everything else is gravy.

vipersig.jpg

mccabe1919

Finally, someone that used their brain first and not there ego.
Wow, this guy has no respect. I can't wait to see the replys to this one. I hate to say it but everyone on here was using their brains in trying to motivate you. It's a little thing we do in the Marines. This is a proud bunch of men and we need you to understand that. What everyone is trying to say to you, quite simply, is unless you want to be a Marine you need not apply!

chelu55

All right, I get everyones point and again I thank everyone. All you guys writting me back are giving me some insite on why you guys are a band of brothers and thats respectable. I think I am starting to see little by little about the Marine Corp. All your comments has taught me more about the mindset and respect about the Corp than anything else. So if my comments has pissed you guys off, no disrepect intented.

js

Originally posted by chelu55
All right, I get everyones point and again I thank everyone. All you guys writting me back are giving me some insite on why you guys are a band of brothers and thats respectable. I think I am starting to see little by little about the Marine Corp. All your comments has taught me more about the mindset and respect about the Corp than anything else. So if my comments has pissed you guys off, no disrepect intented.

Go pick up this book, "Making the Corps" by Thomas E. Ricks. This is a good book to get into the mind set of a Marine Corps and why they do what they do. I enjoyed it.

Mustangable

Yes, "Making the Corps" is an outstanding book. Chelu55, most of us came into this world the same way you did; that is, naked and screaming. So in that respect we already have at least two things in common, and we haven't even been properly introduced! At this time, the biggest difference between yourself and the Marines speaking to you on this site (in respect to this topic) is just that--our experience as Marines. I cannot speak for anyone else here, but before I got out of the bus and stepped on yellow footprints I had limited knowledge about the values, traditions or customs of a Marine, except for knowing a Marine demonstrated pride, selflessness and professionalism in what he did. I learned about the rest along the way, and it is pretty tough not to take things personal sometimes when questionable things happen to that brotherhood of mine (and it doesn't go away, even after being out for a bit). My most consistent motivation during my four years enlisted was remembering the oath I swore to my Savior at MEPS when I raised my hand and signed my contract. It reminded me that whatever the Corps was going to have me do while I was in, I already promised the Man Upstairs I would do it, even if that meant scrubbing toilets from time to time, as long as it didn't go against the Constitution. If you feel you can do those types of things or can see yourself able to make those types of sacrifices for the good of the Corps (i.e. B billets, etc.) I see nothing wrong with you making the attempt, and wish you luck. Just as long as you don't do it naked and screaming, we can only get away with that once. God bless

Ben

chelu55

Man, I cant reiterate enough on thanking you guys. I am finally starting to see the light. No, Im not some A$$ hole, just some guy who wants to fly like everyone else here. I just put up my guard and went attack mode after getting bashed. After saying what I said and the bashing turned to motivation makes a whole new perspective on things and what you guys are really about. You guys are OK in my book.

Mustangable

P.S.: On a more serious note, you should also be very aware of what Chiplee mentioned, that every Marine is a rifleman first. If you choose Marines, you will receive the training necessary to lead young men on the ground into battle, and this training will take place not because it is an afterthought or just an extracirricular activity, but rather a very likely possibility that you will have this as a primary job versus flying if our country was to go to war. No, it doesn't happen to every pilot, but the mindset is critical. Good luck to you, Chelu.

Q-ball

Marine CH-53E Pilot
pilot
Mustang is right. If you have any doubts just reead Capt. Elrod's Medal of Honor citation from actions during the Battle for Wake Island. In summary, after sinking a Japanese destroyer with one of the few remaining aircraft on the Island, Capt Elrod returned and took on the duties of an infantry commander in order to repel the oncoming invasion. Captain Elrod was later killed while inspecting the dead japanese by a soldier pretending to be dead.

Q

orthaj

first of all chelu55, you become a marine officer to be a leader of Marines. if you are given the oppurtunity to be pilot that is a plus in and of itself. the army, navy and airforce are looking for pilots. Marines are looking for Marines.

Status
Not open for further replies.