• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy VS Air Force Helicopter Pilot

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Not an exchange tour per se but we do some exercises together.

It's nice, and USCG at least in the past had full exchange tours with Royal Navy's 771 NAS flown Sea King HAR.5s, a dedicated SAR aircraft. That's why I thought it is possible within all other US military branches, since all of them have helo SAR assets.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Gents,

Has somebody ever met a case of exchange tour for 60' drivers between USN and USCG? 60' Coasties AFAIK are very proud for their sea SAR skills - so have they an opportunity to contribute in Navy CSAR ops? In USAF CSAR?

Thanks
I know that at one point the USCG ran a pretty solid exchange tour with the UK Coast Guard. Now that that program is run by contractors, I'm not sure what they do - if anything.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Interesting. UK Coast Guard is LEA, USCG are military. Amazingly.

That is incorrect. USCG is a uniformed service, but they are a LEO under Homeland Security (and previously under Department of Transportation) and not under DoD. This is how the USCG legally conducts many of the missions that it does.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
But they are also defined as military under Title 14.

The dual role military and law enforcement they have makes them unique among the U.S. armed services, with how especially sensitive we are about using federal troops for law enforcement. It's a big deal for us but it's something that's not nearly as big a deal in a lot of other countries, when the country's history is different and they have a different paradigm on this aspect of civics.

I can't believe I just used the word paradigm.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
True, but Max's initial statement was an oversimplification in that one was A and the other was B, when that's not exactly the case. That's what I was getting at.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
There's been a number of USCG <--> USAF exchange tours - something like 4-5 perm billets that went into the late 90's. No knowledge of what is done now - I met a CG dude who was flying 53/Pave Low way back in the day.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
During Desert Storm we had a Coastie on an exchange tour in the HS squadron on TR. When the TR CO decided he wanted VBSS team to search merchant ships with the small boys and put me in charge of it, I had to pick the Coasties’ brain. He’d done a cutter tour prior to going to flight school and lead a LEO det then.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
During Desert Storm we had a Coastie on an exchange tour in the HS squadron on TR. When the TR CO decided he wanted VBSS team to search merchant ships with the small boys and put me in charge of it, I had to pick the Coasties’ brain. He’d done a cutter tour prior to going to flight school and lead a LEO det then.
I had a flight school buddy who did OPBAT back when they flew the HH-3F model. He also started as a LEDET guy.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
The dual role military and law enforcement they have makes them unique among the U.S. armed services, with how especially sensitive we are about using federal troops for law enforcement.

...and it’s one of the few (If not only) Federal agencies that can gain access to both civilian and military intelligence activities. That in and of itself is huge, plus the whole being able to operate under different titles as needed when conducting missions.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
when the country's history is different and they have a different paradigm on this aspect of civics.
In a plenty of counties CG is LЕ, while in others it is military, moreover, a part of the national navies (Norway for ex). Iceland has no military at all except for CG. Indeed in US the Coast Guard enjoys the unique dual status.