• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy VS Air Force Helicopter Pilot

Pags

N/A
pilot
Aging helicopters? The 65s yeah, my understanding was they’re updating every 60 to a -T.
If imagine the 60T effort would be close to finished...sometime back in 2010-2011 when I was at VX-1 we gave the USCG our last 60F (that was only kind of a 60F as it had the cockpit of a 60H which basically meant parts were a nightmare).

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
If imagine the 60T effort would be close to finished...sometime back in 2010-2011 when I was at VX-1 we gave the USCG our last 60F (that was only kind of a 60F as it had the cockpit of a 60H which basically meant parts were a nightmare).
As I recall they completed the T conversions in 2014.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Does the CG still use the MH-68 Stingray's in their interdiction work?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I think the MH-68 fleet was leased, not bought and owned, and the lease ended.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Definitely. But I wonder how much of it has to do with "the Navy/USMC sucks," vs "the USCG rocks!"

It's different when you know when you join you'll be able to get to 20 because you're joining at 9 years. For my friends that were straight Coast Guardsmen/women get FOSx2 unwillingly when they were otherwise fully qualified made me have a bad taste in my mouth towards them. The fact that it was almost all of the ones I knew certainly made me biased. I am mostly playing the devil's advocate here, but those would be my concerns in addition to an aging fleet across all platforms - ships and helicopters.
At some point arguing over the differences between flying helos for one service or the other is like arguing between different suburbs. At the end of the day the major differences come down to what type of mayo (hellmans vs best foods vs dukes) you buy at your fancy grocery store and what the local youth soccer fields are like.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
At some point arguing over the differences between flying helos for one service or the other is like arguing between different suburbs. At the end of the day the major differences come down to what type of mayo (hellmans vs best foods vs dukes) you buy at your fancy grocery store and what the local youth soccer fields are like.
True on so many levels. Hellmans and Best Foods are the exact same Mayo.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I know -85 gave several helicopters to them in 17/18. The last of their hotels went to E city for refitting.

I saw the retrofit hangar. They literally take them to the bare airframe and rebuild. Might as well be a new bird, although I don't know how they consider the airframe hours/fatigue issues. I'm sure someone with a 20lb brain did some math.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I saw the retrofit hangar. They literally take them to the bare airframe and rebuild. Might as well be a new bird, although I don't know how they consider the airframe hours/fatigue issues. I'm sure someone with a 20lb brain did some math.

The conversion process is so thorough that the converted helos come out with zero time airframes.