• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Shoots Down Satellite

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
WAY TO GO NAVY!!!

I note with some amusement that after the shootdown last night, AP started referring to it as a "dying spy satellite"; the implication being it was not that "big of a deal" --- as the thing WAS "dying" anyway, right??? :)

Kinda' different that the pre-shoot-EX run-up when one mostly heard how "hard" it was to hit a "bullet with a bullet" and how high the chances were for .... *gasp* ..... failure. :eek:

President Reagan and Star Wars would be proud ... :)

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
President Reagan and Star Wars would be proud ...

Agreed. I wondered what all the SDI naysayers had with their humble pie.
Granted, still a way to go, but clearly the success rate and the unique challenges of this target (speed and ultra-low IR signature) are a real milestone success.

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
Those poor, poor, SWO Daddy's....I don't even know how they insert the graphics they do on those PPT presentations. One hour of work per slide = 2 minutes of talk time.... They deserve the recognition, It's not like they're reaping it in anymore....

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Recently spotted SWOs trying to be like Aviators.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Attachments

• sat_shooter.jpg
    sat_shooter.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 104

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agreed. I wondered what all the SDI naysayers had with their humble pie. Granted, still a way to go, but clearly the success rate and the unique challenges of this target (speed and ultra-low IR signature) are a real milestone success.

Blowing a satellite to smithereens and hitting incoming ICBM RV's are quite a bit different. One thing to remember, the SM-3 is supposed to hit Short-Range and Medium-Range Ballistic Missiles, not ICBM's, and the satellite was a comparatively easy target compared to a ballistic missile.

I still have little faith in most of the rest of the MDA system (or MDA for that matter), which has not been been successful as the SM-3.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....I still have little faith in most of the rest of the MDA system (or MDA for that matter)...

flashvk8.jpg

Flash-man: what a drudge you must have been to fly with ... i.e., are you EVER positive re: ANYTHING???

Or is it just that Hoser influence oozing through, eh??? :) (smiles, smiles, smiles .... )

SkywardET

Contrarian
I think this is really impressive from all aspects. It was a great engineering triumph to modify the missile in the relatively small time frame to meet a real-world challenge and definately another triumph for the Lake Erie and her crew. I have not been onboard (other than to run aloft chits) but my ship is homeported with the Lake Erie. That ship is kind of a glory hog but I personally think it's justified.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Blowing a satellite to smithereens and hitting incoming ICBM RV's are quite a bit different. One thing to remember, the SM-3 is supposed to hit Short-Range and Medium-Range Ballistic Missiles, not ICBM's, and the satellite was a comparatively easy target compared to a ballistic missile.

I still have little faith in most of the rest of the MDA system (or MDA for that matter), which has not been been successful as the SM-3.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how hitting two similarly sized ballistic targets is more difficult simply because one is an ICBM. I think the most difficult part of getting an ICBM would be ensuring that the launch platform is in the proper place for an intercept. Given an excellent radar combined with a capable missile, I think the chances are in our favor.

Note: If I were the CO of the LE I'd definitely be putting a satalite on my bridge wing :D

MasterBates

If LE(actual) does that, he will get upgraded to "coolest SWO", which is still somewhere south of NFO.

I wonder if other boats have airliners painted on the bridge.... :eek:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
flashvk8.jpg

Flash-man: what a drudge you must have been to fly with ... i.e., are you EVER positive re: ANYTHING???

Or is it just that Hoser influence oozing through, eh??? :) (smiles, smiles, smiles .... )

The higher alcohol content in Canadian beer has killed too many of the 'happy' brain cells.......;)

And I am positive, occasionally.....Remember, I thought it would work.......

......the SM-3 is one of the few systems that has been tested sucessfully several times. Not in an ASAT capacity, but it is generally the same principle as its designed use as an ABM.......

P.S. BZ to the Captain and crew of the USS Lake Erie, damn fine job!

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is one hell of a missile that took that thing down. I didn't know how capable an SM-3 was.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm sorry, but I fail to see how hitting two similarly sized ballistic targets is more difficult simply because one is an ICBM. I think the most difficult part of getting an ICBM would be ensuring that the launch platform is in the proper place for an intercept. Given an excellent radar combined with a capable missile, I think the chances are in our favor.

Note: If I were the CO of the LE I'd definitely be putting a satalite on my bridge wing :D

You need to expand your thinking a little bit.......An ICBM comes in a much higher altitude and much faster than a SRBM and a MRBM and can cover a much wider area in terms of targets. Also, an ICBM would be launched from a much further distance away (around 10,000 miles) than an SRBM/MRBM (300-1500 miles) and getting a targeting solution is many times more complex. A very rough analogy would be using a ZSU-23 against a helo flying at 200ft and 100kts vs a ZSU-23 against a F/A-18 at 10,00ft and 600kts. They are both aircraft that can be hit by the ZSU-23, but drastically different targets.

If you just look at the basics, the launch site or platform would probably be launching their interceptor blind to make a successful intercept because of the great distances invloved, cued from an off-site sensor, giving them mere seconds to react an launch on what may or may not be an ICBM. With a lot of SRBM's and MRBM's, the launchers might be cued from off site sensors but they would still be able to get their own targeting solutions before firing. It is also great when you know from where and when something is coming, like a satellite, but you are probably not going to know that when it comes to a surprise ICBM attack, with multiple targets (MIRV's) inbound. The SM-3 was not designed for that type of scenario, that is what the Ground Based Interceptors (GBI's) in Alaska and California are supposed to take care of, and which have not had the very good testing history of the SM-3's.

I have dealt quite a bit with this issue in the recent past and I still keep very up to date with it. Missile defense is an incredibly complex problem that has many more moving parts, and a much more complex target set, than people realize. Some of the work that has been done has been very good, like the SM-3 and the PAC-3, but that does not make the massive investment in some of the MDA work (the SM-3, PAC-3 and THAAD only take up so much of the MDA budget) on the bigger problem of ICBM's is tilting at windmills. It is not an impossible problem to solve, but I don't think it is worth the investment necessary for the limited number of targets.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
It is not an impossible problem to solve, but I don't think it is worth the investment necessary for the limited number of targets.

I'm to the point that I'd rather support the MDA than the vast collection of Baltimore crack whores that must live off my tax dollars. We bitch about technology capability leaving the US here's one are we can lead in. Software that can process the high speed complex calculations that are required for the task. Materials science to make it work, radars that can be linked to portray accurately large volumes of airspace and non-squaking targets. Then follow it up to make this stuff move to civilian better mousetraps. If it's complex there's always spin-offs.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm to the point that I'd rather support the MDA than the vast collection of Baltimore crack whores that must live off my tax dollars. We bitch about technology capability leaving the US here's one are we can lead in. Software that can process the high speed complex calculations that are required for the task. Materials science to make it work, radars that can be linked to portray accurately large volumes of airspace and non-squaking targets. Then follow it up to make this stuff move to civilian better mousetraps. If it's complex there's always spin-offs.

Crack whores aren't using $10 billion in government funding every year. As for technological advances, I don't think that many would come from the the MDA effort that would help the US as a whole. Sure, we would have better tracking of space stuff but most of the other stuff is just too specialized to transfer to other uses.

I would rather see much of the $10 billion go to other defense uses, like more ships for the Navy, more helos for the Marines or even a C-2A replacement.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
I can't imagine the pressure those guys were under given the media attention. I'm sure some FC1 was just promoted to Ensign somewhere!