• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Shoots Down Satellite

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Nice drill for an ABM test. Not quite the same but never pass up a free target

UMichfly

pilot
None
Wonder if this is also intended to send a message to China.

Oh I sure hope so! Can't let the Chinese think they can be dropping their defective satellites on us :rolleyes:. I realize that's not exactly what you're saying but the implied meaning of your statement is a little too tin foil hattish for me.

BackOrdered

Contributor
U.S. officials said that the option preferred by the administration will be to fire a missile from a U.S. Navy cruiser, and shoot down the satellite before it enters Earth's atmosphere.

And this is why the Aegis cruiser is my favorite warship. I didn't even know it could do this.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
風船爆弾 Fūsen Bakudan

....Can't let the Chinese think they can be dropping their defective satellites on us :rolleyes:. ....
It's simple, really.

Can you say:
風船爆弾 Fūsen Bakudan ??? :)

The ChiCom's would just be following the lead of the Jap prototypes that "blazed" a path over the N. Pacific during WW2 ..... which played a part in the "discovery" of the NOPAC jet-stream as well.

Clever, as well as inscrutable, these Orientals, yea-as ???:)

JAPANESE FIREBOMB OFFENSIVE, Wikipedia

THE GREAT JAPANESE BALLOON OFFENSIVE, Air University Review

UMichfly

pilot
None

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=9510

Sure, the Chinese just caught up with 1985. I don't think that that predicates a massive pissing contest to prove that we can repeat something we did 23 years ago. They're not retarded, they know that we've got the bigger jimmy on this one. No need to prove it. That being said, using the Aegis system to splatter this satellite DOES accomplish the twin goals of being a good training exercise and placating all the whiny drama princesses who are freaking out because "a satellite with Nuclear stuff on it is gonna crash and make a big mushroom cloud and make little Billy grow a third eyeball."

Just my $.02 :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
And this is why the Aegis cruiser is my favorite warship. I didn't even know it could do this.

There's only a handful of ships that have. I'm interested to know which one will get the honors. They've been very successful up to now.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor