• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Shoots Down Satellite

EvilGN

pilot
My dad who works at time with FEMA and other emergency response teams during extraordinary events, is/was called out for this thing. Not sure what capacity he will be used (he is with health and human services). At this time he does not even know where he is to fly too, just told to sit tight and wait for a call. Interesting though...

I personally have a hard time believing this shoot is going to be successful, its like hitting a coffee can thrown off the empire state building with a BB gun. Or some analogy like that...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My dad who works at time with FEMA and other emergency response teams during extraordinary events, is/was called out for this thing. Not sure what capacity he will be used (he is with health and human services). At this time he does not even know where he is to fly too, just told to sit tight and wait for a call. Interesting though...

I personally have a hard time believing this shoot is going to be successful, its like hitting a coffee can thrown off the empire state building with a BB gun. Or some analogy like that...

I generally have little faith in MDA but the SM-3 is one of the few systems that has been tested sucessfully several times. Not in an ASAT capacity, but it is generally the same principal as its designed use as an ABM.

I did a surface cruise for the summer between my junior and senior year in nrotc (summer of 05) and was attached to the USS Lake Erie. It was the test ship for this BMD system. At the time, it has successfully shot down 5 out of 6 test missiles out of orbit. Very interesting stuff, china and russia already know that we can do this because this ship was on the news a while back for its BMD capabilities.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

I'm w/ Flash and wareagle on this. I was on LKE for one of the tests, as well. Both the (UNCLASS) video footage and their track record was impressive, even if their concern for a un-chocked/chained helo on the flight deck was not.

Huggy Bear

pilot
Too bad they don't have a hornet shoot it down. The hornet can do anything and everything (waiting for you Nose :D). I watched hornets bring down 15 mi diameter space ships in independence day, this satellite is toast.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Too bad they don't have a hornet shoot it down. The hornet can do anything and everything (waiting for you Nose :D). I watched hornets bring down 15 mi diameter space ships in independence day, this satellite is toast.

Ya, but that redneck had to kill himself to do it. If we're invaded I'll go winchester, but I ain't kamikazi'n that thing.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I really enjoyed hearing on the ATIS today "Use caution for falling space debris in the area. If any is encountered report position, time and direction of travel to the appropriate reporting agency." That's exactly what I want to hear before I take off.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Must be some high fiving going on in AEGIS world....

Navy Succeeds In Intercepting Non-Functioning Satellite
Story Number: NNS080220-19
Release Date: 2/20/2008 11:23:00 PM

From the Department of Defense

WASHINGTON (NNS) -- A network of land-, air-, sea- and spaced-based sensors confirms that the U.S. military intercepted a non-functioning National Reconnaissance Office satellite which was in its final orbits before entering the earth's atmosphere.

At approximately 10:26 p.m. EST, Feb. 20, a U.S. Navy AEGIS warship, USS Lake Erie (CG-70), fired a single modified tactical Standard Missile-3 (SM-3) hitting the satellite approximately 133 nautical miles over the Pacific Ocean as it traveled in space at more than 17,000 mph. USS Decatur (DDG-73) and USS Russell (DDG-59) were also part of the task force.

The objective was to rupture the fuel tank to dissipate the approximately 1,000 pounds of hydrazine, a hazardous fuel which could be harmful, before it entered into earth's atmosphere. Confirmation that the fuel tank has been fragmented should be available within 24 hours.

Due to the relatively low altitude of the satellite at the time of the engagement, debris will begin to re-enter the earth's atmosphere immediately. Nearly all of the debris will burn up on reentry within 24-48 hours and the remaining debris should re-enter within 40 days.

DoD will conduct a press briefing at 7 a.m. EST to provide further information related to the operation. The briefing can be viewed live on www.Defenselink.com through the Pentagon Channel.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
NAMS for everyone!

NAMs? Are you kidding me? My guess is that the MSMs and Bronze Stars were written last week and all they were waiting for is confirmation so that they can hit "send" on the awards website.

I also bet that the powerpoint pain has been neck-deep on that boat since word of this thing started.