• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy helo community....what's the latest news?

1rotorhead

pilot
It will be interesting to see how all of the helo master plan falls out. With aviation budgets cuts coming up odds are that it will be affected. I believe the latest budget cuts had 6 fewer sierras per year for about the next 8 years. How that affects things remains to be seen. Also, just because a squadron has a Block III doesn't mean it will have the kits for it. I'm pretty sure the testing on the kits hasn't finished yet. It wouldn't surprise me if HS and HSC keep the same roles they've been doing for years(minus ASW for HS) due to the above issues.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
I can't argue with that. The Block III we have now doesn't have the kits as far as I know. I haven't really looked at it yet. But the current HSC mission is just fine by me.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you're interested in HM/Heavy Lift, please PM me for specifics.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
HCS-4 was officially re designated HSC-84

HSC-84 now has 12 HH-60H - 6 of these came from the decommissioned HCS-5. HCS-5 was deactivated officially on 31 DEC 2006.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Guns

What is the current "Machine Gun" of choice in the Navy H-60 family of helo's? When I left HSL in 1996, the M-60D was still the primary weapon for most HSL detachments, but I know there was a lot of R&D of the GAU series of guns. What's available to the H-60's now?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
-60 and the GAU-16 (.50 cal). The .GAU is really nice, but does consume the already limited space in the back.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
The 60S has window mounts for 2 M240D 7.62mm machine guns. I have no idea what the block IIIs will eventually be equipped with.

1rotorhead

pilot
The GAU-21 is in the cabin doors. It's an updated .50 cal (marines call it the M3M). There's been talk about mini-guns in the gunner windows but nothing definite.

hscs

pilot
HSC-84 also has GAU-17 (mini-guns). there is talk of adding these the -60S. I'll believe that when I see it.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The GAU-21 is in the cabin doors. It's an updated .50 cal (marines call it the M3M). There's been talk about mini-guns in the gunner windows but nothing definite.

the .50 cal in the back of a block III is a -21 and not a -16? is there a real difference?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Talk about a threadjack...

Does anyone have more info related to the original question? How about some general likes/dislikes about specific communities? Would any of you switch communities if you were going through as a student right now?

hscs

pilot
I wouldn't change -- I would still prefer to be HS -- mostly because I don't enjoy VERTREP day in and day out.