• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Golfing

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was there in 1982 and there were blue flashing lights posted by some of the holes under the approach area, with a sign saying to hold your shot when they were flashing.
So if you screw that up, instead of "Fore," do you yell "FOD?"

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Anyone know how the golf is at NAF Atsugi? May or may not be out there sometime this fall.

Excellent - there is a decent 18 hole course on the base and the incinerator is shut down so the only hacking will be swing related (probably been 5 years since I was last there so if that is out of date then somebody please correct me).

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
Kind of a threadjack, but I started this one, so I guess I can...

Do you get a military ID closely after you swear in for BDCP? Then in turn, can you use that military ID to get on base and golf on the courses?

Thanks

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Revived for a quick question: which is the better Navy course in Jax and is there any problem getting out as a single on weekends? (I'll be there later in the week but probably only have time to play one).

incubus852

pilot
For what it's worth...

Pensacola - Decent shape, great executive course, great scenery on the bay. Decent condition as far as fairways, rough and greens.

Corpus - Most miserable excuse for a course ever. Someone hit it earlier; tons of dead grass, no discernible fairway/rough.

Meridian - Lil' more than mediocre. Really cheap and had some nice terrain though. Miserable to play half the year because of the ridiculous humidity. Try to get up to the Dancing Rabbit course near Philly for a beautiful course... I think it's actually nationally rated. And they don't advertise but there is a giant military discount. You have to ask for it pretty bluntly and forcibly. Or use your winnings from Philly. Which is doubtful because the games are all rigged.

San Diego - Miramar has some great deals; free on the third tuesday I think of each month and $1 greens fees each weds (something like that.) Nice course, very flat, decent shape.

By far the nicest military course I've seen was the executive course at North Island. Very well kept, good condition. The fairways are very tight together though.

Flugelman

Contributor
For what it's worth...

San Diego - Miramar has some great deals; free on the third tuesday I think of each month and $1 greens fees each weds (something like that.) Nice course, very flat, decent shape.

By far the nicest military course I've seen was the executive course at North Island. Very well kept, good condition. The fairways are very tight together though.

When I was last in San Diego they were renovating the North Island course and only had 9 holes open. If the new course is anywhere near as nice as the old one it should be great.

Another great deal is the Admiral Baker complex out by the intersection of I-8 and I-15. Two good courses and a kickass restaurant and pro shop.

SH-60OB

pilot
Bert,
Been a couple weeks since I played NAS Jax. Was in pretty good shape. With three nines it is relatively easy to get out as a single. All three are tighter than Mayport and each has it's own challenges

My Sunday group plays Mayport early. Greens except for #18 all are in great shape. Fairways are in good condition and the rough is getting some teeth. As with every military course I've played traps are so-so. It is open so if you spray off the tee and still score. (one of the guys shot a 77 last weekend with 14 GIR and not a single fairway hit). Should be able to get out as a single. The Mayport Golf Association tees off around 0900 and they are not the speediest of players.

If your flexible, Golfnow has some great deals on local courses. We've played the Country Club of Orange Park for $15, Julington creek for $22, and Fleming Island for $35 in the last month. All are in great shape. and about the same price as the military courses

R/
OB