• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval aviation

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Other things that cannot be cured... insufficient functional reach, and color blindness. Life isn't fair, and not everyone gets to play. To my previous point, since there's no shortage of physically qualified accessions applicants, we can afford to have more stringent physical requirements, which reduces overall risk. We shouldn't allow ourselves to be swayed by human interest stories.
I concur, as I noted I think the emotional side of this story is the back-and-forth caused by an inefficient Navy bureaucracy.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
back-and-forth caused by an inefficient Navy bureaucracy.
Inefficient in what way? It would be much more inefficient if the Navy medically screened all of the people who weren't accepted for an NROTC program. What would have really optimized the efficiency of the entire process is if the Ridgeway family had bothered to do a modicum of research to understand whether someone with an Autism diagnosis was eligible to apply in the first place.

People's dreams are crushed on the regular by NAMI... such is life. I don't see anyone writing human interest stories about how some kid's T-Rex arms unfairly prevented them from realizing their true potential.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Inefficient in what way? It would be much more inefficient if the Navy medically screened all of the people who weren't accepted for an NROTC program.
Inefficient in that the Navy issued him a scholarship BEFORE the medical screening. In any world that is inefficient, especially when his entire motivational statement was about his “overcoming” his autism (why did no one on the board notice that?). About 25000 students apply to NROTC each year…are you really saying Navy med can’t process 25,000 medical review forms (essentially yes/no questionnaires) in half a year BUT boards can easily process 25,000 sets of applications, transcripts, LORs, motivational statements, and background checks?

I am not arguing against the standard, I get that in every way and he is not medically qualified, but this genuinely makes the Navy look, well, inefficient.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Inefficient in that the Navy issued him a scholarship BEFORE the medical screening. In any world that is inefficient, especially when his entire motivational statement was about his “overcoming” his autism (why did no one on the board notice that?). About 25000 students apply to NROTC each year…are you really saying Navy med can’t process 25,000 medical review forms (essentially yes/no questionnaires) in half a year BUT boards can easily process 25,000 sets of applications, transcripts, LORs, motivational statements, and background checks?

I am not arguing against the standard, I get that in every way and he is not medically qualified, but this genuinely makes the Navy look, well, inefficient.
The board members aren’t qualified to evaluate an applicant’s medical history. How many of those 25000 get selected? Do some arith, and there’s your efficiency. Doing the opposite makes zero sense.

The Navy also offers aviators a commission before they’re screened by NAMI. Some may not survive. That’s not necessarily inefficient. That’s just natural friction in the process. What’s your alternative? Send every applicant to NROTC, OCS and USNA to NAMI before processing their applications? That’s what you’re advocating... and it would be absurdly wasteful. All of this to prevent some hurt feelings? Come on, dude.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
The board members aren’t qualified to evaluate an applicant’s medical history. How many of those 25000 get selected? Do some arith, and there’s your efficiency. Doing the opposite makes zero sense.

The Navy also offers aviators a commission before they’re screened by NAMI. Some may not survive. That’s not necessarily inefficient. That’s just natural friction in the process. What’s your alternative? Send every applicant to NROTC, OCS and USNA to NAMI before processing their applications? That’s what you’re advocating... and it would be absurdly wasteful. All of this to prevent some hurt feelings? Come on, dude.
To answer your question…about 4000 scholarships a year.

To your second point I am advocating that it is entirely possible to review 25,000 DD-2807-1’s, see if there are any immediate “no go” boxes (like 17g…evaluated for mental condition) checked and let the applicant know their application will not be considered. To be clear, I have no argument with the idea that medical standards exist for a reason and should be followed.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To answer your question…about 4000 scholarships a year.

To your second point I am advocating that it is entirely possible to review 25,000 DD-2807-1’s, see if there are any immediate “no go” boxes (like 17g…evaluated for mental condition) checked and let the applicant know their application will not be considered. To be clear, I have no argument with the idea that medical standards exist for a reason and should be followed.
Why review 25000 when they can review 4000? How is this more efficient? The Navy loses nothing by turning away the X percent that are NPQ. Seems to me the applicant should be familiar with the physical standards and not waste everyone’s time if they don’t meet them, or at least bring up a waiver request in the initial application.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Maybe navcruitcom (or whatever it's called) can submit an RFF to higher echelon to plus up their staff for an additional FTE MICP billet to test their processes for systemic vulnerabilities and loopholes such as this one. Might need a second extra staffer for all the manpower involved to revise the command inspection instructions, checklists, and binders.

(I almost didn't use sarcasm font.)

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Why review 25000 when they can review 4000? How is this more efficient? The Navy loses nothing by turning away the X percent that are NPQ. Seems to me the applicant should be familiar with the physical standards and not waste everyone’s time if they don’t meet them, or at least bring up a waiver request in the initial application.
OK…review the 4000 and THEN issue the “Congratulations” letter, not the other way around as happened here.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK…review the 4000 and THEN issue the “Congratulations” letter, not the other way around as happened here.
You’re really hung up on this, aren’t you. ? you’re just a big softie.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
You’re really hung up on this, aren’t you. ? you’re just a big softie.
I cry at certain movies…like The Dirty Dozen…Jim Brown was throwing these hand grenades down these airshafts. And Richard Jaeckel and Lee Marvin were sitting on top of this armored personnel carrier, dressed up like Nazis...and Trini Lopez...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I cry at certain movies…like The Dirty Dozen…Jim Brown was throwing these hand grenades down these airshafts. And Richard Jaeckel and Lee Marvin were sitting on top of this armored personnel carrier, dressed up like Nazis...and Trini Lopez...
That’s OK. I cried at an Apocalyptica concert. A quartet of Finnish cellists playing Metallica tunes reaches me on so many levels.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
One of my friends said she always cries at the end of Home Alone. A bunch of moms piped up with "I do too!" I said I thought I'm the only one who thinks the ending is sad- it's so unfair what they did to Harry and Marv!

DeltaV

Ok, what the fuck.

I went on a quest this morning to track down all my records from my hometown before I head back to school in the fall. Cracked my arm up pretty good wrestling a few years ago, was in a cast for a few months with a arthroscopic bone reset procedure. Once again, non issue, all paperwork is present and accounted for and no retained hardware.

Get a load of this, I went digging in the patient portal at the hospital I got treated at. Couple years ago in 2015 when I was running JROTC cross country I had some chest pain (as I was running 5ks every week day after school, bench pressing, etc). Decided to get it checked out by a cardio guy at that same hospital outpatient office. Given an EKG, unremarkable, vitals are fine, sent home saying it was non cardiac. Felt better after I took a week off. No problems since.

Low and behold as I am digging through these I see a diagnosis for "Hypertension/Palpitations" on my problems list. FUCKING hypertension as a 15 year old healthy eating athletic kid. To put in to perspective how ridiculous this is, right next to the statement is my vitals for that visit, BP 110/60., no where even close to hypertensive. Kinda comical actually.

Was never notified of this, never took any tests to show this, never given medication, nothing. I don't have hypertension, never had it in my life. Hypertension is no fucking joke, and requires actual treatment and stuff. I don't know if this is a formal diagnosis, but its on my records.

My parents said that he probably had to put something in so he would get the sweet insurance money because he needed a billable code, but what the actual shit. This is another thing I have to go through the process of getting fixed.

Until it looks like I'm a fat, smoking, salt eating 58 year old man I guess. What a fucking mess.

Wait, I thought you had concerns about what's in your medical records in the past 7+ years. What's this "one time thing" you're talking about?

now you see what I mean, its like whack-a-mole

Last edited: