• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval aviation

Short

None
No argument on that, but not the point. Also, "on the spectrum" =/= Autism, necessarily.

When you attend a frocking ceremony and see multiple Sailors exhibit behaviors consistent with autism the semantic discussion of spectrum v. diagnosable autism takes a backseat. Yet these Sailors could apparently do their jobs without getting de-nuked, so the relevant question is whether diagnosed autism should be disqualifying. Frankly, underdeveloped personal skills and difficulty understanding someone else's emotions seems more like a prerequisite for several roles, vice a disqualifier.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I presume the Ridgeway family will appreciate your white paper supporting their position.

Short

None
Are we doing a bit here where you are playing to my statement about the undeveloped personal skills of senior personnel?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
He was having difficulty in qualifying his watchstations, I know he had problems communicating with people but don't know if there were other factors, we did have worse sailors but those sailors were able to qualify watchstations even though they were difficult sailors in other areas.

So why not kick him out for that?

When you attend a frocking ceremony and see multiple Sailors exhibit behaviors consistent with autism the semantic discussion of spectrum v. diagnosable autism takes a backseat. Yet these Sailors could apparently do their jobs without getting de-nuked, so the relevant question is whether diagnosed autism should be disqualifying. Frankly, underdeveloped personal skills and difficulty understanding someone else's emotions seems more like a prerequisite for several roles, vice a disqualifier.

The military hasn't caught up with the diagnostic "happy" civilian world. It won't change until it creates a true recruiting problem, or congress mandates it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are we doing a bit here where you are playing to my statement about the undeveloped personal skills of senior personnel?
Considering that I work with some of your former JOs, that’s certainly an interesting perspective for you to take. ?

Short

None
Depending on the JO, it may apply to them too. Kidding. Mostly.

Tell those little scamps hello from me and happy they are doing good work. We had a ridiculously good group of JOs.

exNavyOffRec

So why not kick him out for that?

The military hasn't caught up with the diagnostic "happy" civilian world. It won't change until it creates a true recruiting problem, or congress mandates it.
That way would include mast, and a damaging discharge code, the kid didn't deserve that, and I am sure he was able to be productive in some way out of the USN, I might look in my cruise book to see if he made it in there and try and look him up to see what happened to him.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
That way would include mast, and a damaging discharge code, the kid didn't deserve that, and I am sure he was able to be productive in some way out of the USN, I might look in my cruise book to see if he made it in there and try and look him up to see what happened to him.

That's fair.

JKC@

Absolutely false. Most mental health issues are waiverable if you’re off meds and asymptotic for a year.
I have a question about this, you say that but everyone tells me its very unlikely to get a waiver for mental health issues.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I have a question about this, you say that but everyone tells me its very unlikely to get a waiver for mental health issues.

Isn’t one thread about this enough?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who is this "everyone" you're referring to? Also, if you had an ADHD diagnosis and were on meds (per your previous post), has a psychiatrist seen you recently, determined that you are stable and off meds for > one year and symptom free? If you can answer yes to that, then there is a path forward for you. If not, then you probably won't get a waiver.

JKC@

Who is this "everyone" you're referring to? Also, if you had an ADHD diagnosis and were on meds (per your previous post), has a psychiatrist seen you recently, determined that you are stable and off meds for > one year and symptom free? If you can answer yes to that, then there is a path forward for you. If not, then you probably won't get a waiver.
the answer is yes, my Main problem is I got a OCD diagnosis after a 30 minute meeting with a school psych.
TBF my sources are really just internet strangers.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
the answer is yes, my Main problem is I got a OCD diagnosis after a 30 minute meeting with a school psych.
TBF my sources are really just internet strangers.
If that’s true, then get off the internet and start that conversation with an officer recruiter.

Mouselovr

Contributor
As my first post ever on this forum I will say this, I am a 21 year old Aero Eng student 3.4 gpa graduating in 2022. As a freshman in college I was having trouble adjusting to living away from home for the first time. Went to a shrink reluctantly because my mother asked me to. The shrink then asked me to go to a psychiatrist at the school clinic. Within that same week, I sat down for 15 minutes with a nurse practitioner and walked out with Lexapro.
As others have said in this thread, and as I've written in the past on this forum, MEPS and NAMI are highly subjective with respect to BH.
However,
NAMI has a published waiver guide that spells out their mental health waivers.
MEPS has the general rule of 1 year off meds = eligible for a waiver.

Collect ALL your stuff and submit it. Senior and junior officers on here can throw in our anecdotal knowledge, but at the end of the day, its up to the recruiters and medical professionals to deem who is eligible versus not. The system can be incredibly frustrating because no one can give you black-and-white answers, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.......

(My 2 cents, it was worth the medical hassles and uncertainty)