• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval aviation

DeltaV

Didn't you say you were 21?

When I was that age in college, I'm pretty sure I'd have a beer with anyone buying, yet not be in the position to evaluate their attributes as an aviator, or a leader.

I don't drink and it was meant as a compliment. From his posts he seems to be brutally honest and a no-bullshit kinda guy, which I think is cool.

Last edited:

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm just trying to iterate how worrisome it is to be in a precarious situation, and receive mixed messages as to my best course of action from people going through the pipeline.

Take a breath. This isn't a big deal. You only have one option- to be honest. You have to play the hand you're dealt, without cheating.

Everyone here wearing wings is willing to share a cockpit or fly on the wing with a subpar pilot, or NFO, or officer. They are not willing to share the cockpit with someone they can't trust.

There is absolute trust among aircrew and you will act immediately without thinking when someone says, "Break left; waveoff; abort; go around;...".

There is no place in this business for the untrustworthy.

This applies to any job in the military.

exNavyOffRec

Not in my case. I guess it helped I live in MD, although nowhere near Bethesda, but I sacrificed many hours of driving to and from the medical center to meet with various doctors and check all medical boxes. I guess it helps to be a "local".
DCO's also are a bit different when it comes to getting physicals, most MTF's won't bother with a typical person applying to OCS, DCO's are generally more experienced professionals who get more special treatment for lack of a better word.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If I were to get my old quack psych APRN to change the records via the amendment process, do I still have to report the old diagnosis? At that point, I think it becomes more of an moral dilemma than an ethical one. I would not be lying because I no longer have the diagnosis of the specific condition on record, but I have been told not to volunteer info that's irrelevant to my health upon joining or I am in for a years long headache of finding retired doctors.

An APRN isn't a doc, and despite my wife being an APRN, I still maintain they don't have the full prospective on the medical world. That said, I'd get either your APRN or an actual MD to submit whatever paperwork is needed for a "re-diagnosis." I don't know how that works in the civilian side, as I had the same DoN MD say one thing and then say something different, so that carried weight. But based on what I've read here over the years, the "latest diagnosis" is what matters, however you need to get that.

He seems like he would be an excellent aviator/leader, but a bad guy to have a beer with.

I've never met Brett in person, but I'd still have a beer with him. Don't get bogged down in the website politics. Not everyone has to agree, just like not everyone is actually like their online persona...or perceived persona.

Regardless, the very mention that its a "game" implies bureaucracy and red tape shit. Can you elaborate?

It is absolutely a bureaucracy with tons of red tape. If you didn't know that already, let this be an education. It only gets more elaborate the deeper you go. When you're in the middle of it, it becomes the norm. When you live outside of it, you start to regain perspective. But that doesn't change what it is.

DeltaV

An APRN isn't a doc, and despite my wife being an APRN, I still maintain they don't have the full prospective on the medical world. That said, I'd get either your APRN or an actual MD to submit whatever paperwork is needed for a "re-diagnosis." I don't know how that works in the civilian side, as I had the same DoN MD say one thing and then say something different, so that carried weight. But based on what I've read here over the years, the "latest diagnosis" is what matters, however you need to get that

Seriously, thank you for this. All of you for that matter.

This is something I have been wanting to do for as long as I can remember, and was recently on reddit to catch up on info when I came across this DQ standard and fell down a rabbit hole. I completely agree that someone with a current mental illness shouldn't be in the military, however I personally believe that the way the MEPS/NAMI (and the FAA for that matter) views psych stuff is painfully stigmatizing.

I don't even have a career yet and I am scared of even going to a shrink ever again, not to even imagine what someone who flies for a living would think.

Self harm/hospitalization shit is one thing, and should not be waiverable, but a few bad months adjusting in college is another. They should not be in the same boat of "psych issues" when it comes to DQ standards for SNA applicants.

Hopefully in the next few years when the time comes, I will be prepared with paper work saying this was just one big mistake. I've heard NAMI is super conservative with things though.

side note: you joined this site 3 months after I was born, pretty nutty to think about.

Last edited:

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
side note: you joined this site 3 months after I was born, pretty nutty to think about.

Why?

There are members of this site who retired from a career in naval aviation 25+ years before you were born.

It would not surprise me if @webmaster came out one day and said that we collectively have more than 1000 years of military aviation posted on this website.

Go back to the old days, read the sticky posts, understand that there are Titans among men who have posted here. @BusyBee604 ; @skidkid;

There are Admirals and Generals, commanders of every variety, dudes and dudettes from every service. Pilots who did their commitment and got out and went to the show. There are current flight instructors here, Vietnam vets are here.

You're holding court with guys who knew Bug and Lex.

And we're all assholes. We're loud, we argue, we think @Brett327 was the worst squadron commander ever, but he probably did an okay job. And he sticks around even though we critique his every word.

So listen, read, pay attention. This is kind of what a ready room is like. We can make fun our brothers, but when the kid down the street does it we're going to fight.

DeltaV

Why?

There are members of this site who retired from a career in naval aviation 20 years before you were born.

It would not surprise me if @webmaster came out one day and said that we collectively have more than 1000 years of military aviation posted on this website.

Go back to the old days, read the sticky posts, understand that there are Titans among men who have posted here. @BusyBee604 ; @skidkid;

There are Admirals and Generals, commanders of every variety, dudes and dudettes from every service. Pilots who did their commitment and got out and went to the show. There are current flight instructors here, Vietnam vets are here.

You're holding court with guys who knew Bug and Lex.

And we're all assholes. We're loud, we argue, we think @Brett327 was the worst squadron commander ever, but he probably did an okay job. And he sticks around even though we critique his every word.

So listen, read, pay attention. This is kind of what a ready room is like. We can make fun our brothers, but when the kid down the street does it we're going to fight.

Oddly enough, I was bored a few days ago and decided to excavate this site for some due diligence. Stumbled across the in memoriam section and the name SkidKid showed up. Read about the mid air.

I can't speak on him, but I'm sure he was active on this site helping people like me at one time or another. Must have been a great guy.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oddly enough, I was bored a few days ago and decided to excavate this site for some due diligence. Stumbled across the in memoriam section and the name SkidKid showed up. Read about the mid air.

I can't speak on him, but I'm sure he was active on this site helping people like me at one time or another. Must have been a great guy.
I knew Skid IRL. He would have kicked your ass just like I did. ?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Here is a related story. It seems the anger and upset is more about Janus effect of one arm of the Navy saying “come on!” while the medical side says “not so fast.” Rules are rules and I get that, but clearly this young man is rather capable. In that an autism diagnosis (like most mental health issues) is based on behavior, not cause or mechanism that is a cruel thing to hit a four year old with…especially when the business says it can never be cured.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Other things that cannot be cured... insufficient functional reach, and color blindness. Life isn't fair, and not everyone gets to play. To my previous point, since there's no shortage of physically qualified accessions applicants, we can afford to have more stringent physical requirements, which reduces overall risk. We shouldn't allow ourselves to be swayed by human interest stories.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
Here is a related story. It seems the anger and upset is more about Janus effect of one arm of the Navy saying “come on!” while the medical side says “not so fast.” Rules are rules and I get that, but clearly this young man is rather capable. In that an autism diagnosis (like most mental health issues) is based on behavior, not cause or mechanism that is a cruel thing to hit a four year old with…especially when the business says it can never be cured.

This is heartbreaking. Many of you know I’m raising 2 boys with disabilities. The 8 year old is on the autism spectrum with a 125 IQ. He dreams of going into space and has intelligent conversations with astrophysicists. How ironic that his diagnosis, which is getting him the help he needs to move in society, could be the thing that blocks the dream itself.