• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

National OPO Blog

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Running discussion and information from the National Director of Officer Programs about all commissioning programs processed by Navy Recruiting Command (NRC), to include all OCS, ODS, and DCO programs. Straight info straight from the source! If I dont have the answer, will get it for you.
NOPO; your blog has been a great resource, and obviously a big hit among our applicants... 'above and beyond', BZ!:)

We wish you the best in the new assignment.;)
BzB

mb1685

Thanks for all the information you've provided, NOPO. It's been a tremendous resource for all.

Kees

SNA Select
NRC has started issuing FINSELs for Pilot/NFO applicants from the June board, but we have just start placing these folks into future OCS classes - Oct-Dec14 timeframe. I would suspect that by the rate in which we are placing prior PROREC-Y Pilot/NFO applicants that the larger majority of the June Pilot/NFO selects will be issued their FINSELs during the month of August with OCS dates in the Nov14-Dec14 timeframe.

Have all FINSELs been issued for those selected for SNA during the 6 May 14 board?

My CIRIMS is showing a OCS date of 2 Nov 14, but I have not received a FINSEL yet. I'm just a little curious.

Also, thanks for all the information provided over the last few months. It was much appreciated.

AaronJB

Dumb Ensign, VT-6
Have all FINSELs been issued for those selected for SNA during the 6 May 14 board?

My CIRIMS is showing a OCS date of 2 Nov 14, but I have not received a FINSEL yet. I'm just a little curious.

Also, thanks for all the information provided over the last few months. It was much appreciated.
Right now they are working on finishing (or already have finished) wrapping up the FINSELs for the 12OCT class. I can assume that you guys penciled into the November class won't be waiting much longer here.

NOPO, big thank you for stepping into the "shark tank" here to provide us with dependable information straight from the source. Your posts have been incredibly helpful and have no doubt eased the minds of many applicants including my own. Your support is and has been greatly appreciated, sir!

torpedotor

Every time I get the notification that NOPO posted I log on and check what he said faster than a 13 year old girl checking her Facebook.

Side note, how are "unofficial dates" relayed to a recruiter? Is it just another status shown in CIRIMS? Or something else.

Same question. When people say they've been "penciled in" for a class date, have their ORs just contacted them about it? From what mine has said, he made it sound like I wouldn't hear anything from him until he has my FinSel letter. I've been checking in with him regardless, but should I just ask him what CIRIMS says about my status/class date? It would be really helpful to have a better idea--even if it was off by a class or two--than just thinking sometime between November and February (or later). (I was Pro Rec'd for SWO in mid-June.)

National OPO

All - the team up here will "slate" (pencil in) folks into future OCS class dates for planning and class loading purposes, but that is not official until a Final Select letter with "OFFICIAL" OCS class convene date is generated and issued to the Recruiters for printing out and issuance to applicants. We might pencil in applicants 4-5 months out, but wont release the Final Select letter until ~3 month out to allow us the ability to move folks around should a need arise (someone declines and falls-out, an age critical shipper needs to ship, etc). An applicant's OCS date is not official until the Final Select letter is released. The chances of a penciled-in tentative date changing is often very, very, very small. The majority of the time that we change an OCS date from what was penciled-in to what eventually comes out in the FINSEL letter is most often at the request of the applicant (wants to ship later, needs to ship eariler due to age, etc). The applicant often knows what is going on (through their recruiter) and concurs with the change in OCS date. So if either your recruiter or someone up here at NRC (even me) tells you that you are slated or penciled-in for an OCS date, you should have high confidence that that date will be the date in your FINSEL letter. But that penciled-in date told to you verbally is not official until it comes out in your FINSEL letter. Hope this makes sense.

nrodda90

SWOtivated
All - the team up here will "slate" (pencil in) folks into future OCS class dates for planning and class loading purposes, but that is not official until a Final Select letter with "OFFICIAL" OCS class convene date is generated and issued to the Recruiters for printing out and issuance to applicants. We might pencil in applicants 4-5 months out, but wont release the Final Select letter until ~3 month out to allow us the ability to move folks around should a need arise (someone declines and falls-out, an age critical shipper needs to ship, etc). An applicant's OCS date is not official until the Final Select letter is released. The chances of a penciled-in tentative date changing is often very, very, very small. The majority of the time that we change an OCS date from what was penciled-in to what eventually comes out in the FINSEL letter is most often at the request of the applicant (wants to ship later, needs to ship eariler due to age, etc). The applicant often knows what is going on (through their recruiter) and concurs with the change in OCS date. So if either your recruiter or someone up here at NRC (even me) tells you that you are slated or penciled-in for an OCS date, you should have high confidence that that date will be the date in your FINSEL letter. But that penciled-in date told to you verbally is not official until it comes out in your FINSEL letter. Hope this makes sense.
Thank you for the information! For those of us whose recruiter didn't give us a "penciled in" date, is there a way to find out what our unofficial date is for planning in regards to employment, financial, and family related issues?

National OPO

Thank you for the information! For those of us whose recruiter didn't give us a "penciled in" date, is there a way to find out what our unofficial date is for planning in regards to employment, financial, and family related issues?

Sorry - but the best way to get this information is to continue to remain engaged with your Recruiter and/or the Processor working your kit at the NRD. They have access to the system and part of their job is to keep applicants informed of their status as they move through the process. Continue to demand follow-up and good customer service from them as they are tasked with this. And if you cant seem to get any "lovin" from either your recruiter or your processor, absolutely feel free to call the NRD Commanding Officer and/or Executive Officer and complain. Customer service and follow-up are key "tenets" for Recruiting Command. And if you have a recruiter or processor not proving that, then their CO/XO need to know so that they can hold folks accountable. As a prior NRD CO, I sure found this info valuable to help maintain a strong recruiter and processor group - whenever a dissatisfied applicant called me directly.

CAJ0520

Sorry - but the best way to get this information is to continue to remain engaged with your Recruiter and/or the Processor working your kit at the NRD. They have access to the system and part of their job is to keep applicants informed of their status as they move through the process. Continue to demand follow-up and good customer service from them as they are tasked with this. And if you cant seem to get any "lovin" from either your recruiter or your processor, absolutely feel free to call the NRD Commanding Officer and/or Executive Officer and complain. Customer service and follow-up are key "tenets" for Recruiting Command. And if you have a recruiter or processor not proving that, then their CO/XO need to know so that they can hold folks accountable. As a prior NRD CO, I sure found this info valuable to help maintain a strong recruiter and processor group - whenever a dissatisfied applicant called me directly.

A good relationship and patience. I can understand why a recruiter wont call you every other day to tell you nothing has changed, but most will give you that call when something does change, very soon after it happens. A penciled in date would be nice but alas, unnecessary. My OR just called to say my FINSEL letter's status went from PM's desk to the Directors desk, or something along those lines, no idea what that means but its progress and that's music to my ears!

CAJ0520

The second I say a penciled in date is unnecessary, my recruiter calls to let me know I have a projected date of Jan 18th.... haha, I assume FINSEL's for that class wont be going out for a month or two at least, regardless of my letter being on the directors desk.

National OPO

All - update on both the upcoming AC IDC board and the Reserve IDC DCO boards, both are still scheduled to occur next month - both of them occurring on or around 15Sep14. Applications for both boards are "closed" and all new AC IDC or RC IDC DCO applications will be pushed to the next boards. The next AC IDC board is scheduled for 01Dec14 and the next RC IDC DCO board is scheduled for 16Mar15. Considerng it takes about one week for the board to run, plus another few days for the community to compile the results and get them to us here at NRC, and then for use to confirm the results and ensure that no names were missed, we then send them to the fleet applicants and commands via BOL before sending them to the NRDs for the NRD applicants. So should the boards start on 15Sep14, I would expect the results back and released to the Fleet and NRDs around the end of Sept if not during the first week of Oct - best guess. Good luck to all that applied.

LadyT

All - update on both the upcoming AC IDC board and the Reserve IDC DCO boards, both are still scheduled to occur next month - both of them occurring on or around 15Sep14. Applications for both boards are "closed" and all new AC IDC or RC IDC DCO applications will be pushed to the next boards. The next AC IDC board is scheduled for 01Dec14 and the next RC IDC DCO board is scheduled for 16Mar15. Considerng it takes about one week for the board to run, plus another few days for the community to compile the results and get them to us here at NRC, and then for use to confirm the results and ensure that no names were missed, we then send them to the fleet applicants and commands via BOL before sending them to the NRDs for the NRD applicants. So should the boards start on 15Sep14, I would expect the results back and released to the Fleet and NRDs around the end of Sept if not during the first week of Oct - best guess. Good luck to all that applied.

Thank you for all the useful information. I'll be in the batch for the 01Dec14 AC IDC board so based upon your time line, I'll likely hear something a week or so before Christmas...hopefully it will be happy news!

Lancerr1

@National OPO would you mind clarifying for SNA/SNFO applicants?

With regards to SNA/SNFO applications, should we be shooting for submission of our kits before October 1st, or are we waiting for new quotas to come out before CNRC accepts any kits on October 1st? I spoke with my processor out of NRD Phoenix (Albuquerque NORS) who is currently holding onto my packet. She is under the impression that CNRC is not accepting any kits before October 1st, but it seems like I would want my kit "At PM" by October 1. Can you help me clear this up so I know whether or not I should be talking with my processor to push it through?

Thanks in advance for any help you can be with this confusion!

Blue03

Should I be concerned that when my recruiter checks I do not have a date "penciled in", or is this normal?

torpedotor

I currently don't have a penciled in date either. But I just heard that because I did my medical tests so early, I need to go in again to update my height and weight. (And apparently I can't just get a doctor to sign off on it, I have to go all the way back to MEPS... But I digress.) Another thing that could potentially hold up the process would be the background check, according to my OR. I guess there could be other reasons, too.