• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NASA flight opportunities!

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Well I'll give you that the battery must be on, but the Hornet APU is spooled up by a hydraulic accumulator, prior to lighting off and becoming self aware. Then as you say, it pushes air through the bleed ducts to crank the individual motors. There is no "starter" in addition to the APU.

My bust..sorry. Thanks.

MasterBates

There is no defense against being a dorky NATOPS Officer.

You are the guy who asks how many amps is the fuse to the (FILL IN BLANK) Radio, arent' you.

Dick.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

You are the guy who asks how many amps is the fuse to the (FILL IN BLANK) Radio, arent' you.

Dick.

I'll admit that my first quiz was a bit more down in the weeds about the FCS than it needed to be. Have since tried to only cover stuff that could be useful in the jet. I'm sure my success in that endeavor is up for debate in the RR. That said, the percentage answer is to land before you overthink yourself into a fuel and/or compound emergency while troubleshooting a single seat jet with like 12 switches and 8 CB's.

KBayDog

Dick.

No, he's the poor sap charged with trying to get his hinges to do their monthly quizzes.

When I was NATOPS, I didn't try all that hard to ensure that they were done. I just distributed them each month, and gave a reasonable completion date "deadline." I left it to the grown men and women in my squadron - all professional Aviators - to complete the simple, one-page, VERBATIM, CTRL-F-friendly quiz and return it to me when their schedules permitted.

I ran an otherwise 4.0 program; when Evaluation time came, and we'd inevitably get hit for not having 100% completion, I'd ensure anyone ('Higher') who griped about not getting a "perfect" eval had access to the by-name quiz completion roster.

How does the old saying go? "You can lead the Shrub Club to water..." ;)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah I got to start the job a week before the unit eval, and we had someone score like 1% on the closed book. So we get weekly quizzes now. Being the quiz Shepard isn't always the most popular job :)

KBayDog

Yeah I got to start the job a week before the unit eval, and we had someone score like 1% on the closed book. So we get weekly quizzes now.

Weekly quiz? Holy Pain Train, Batman!

Then again, scoring 1% on a Closed Book exam that is essentially nothing more than EPs/Limits, with a few obligatory "gotchas" to remind you that you never know your NATOPS as good as you think you do, is pretty damn pathetic for "professional" Aviators.

(If I were a gambling man, though, I'd bet that some of the low-scoring "professionals" are the same ones who pitch a fit and vomit idle threats (usually involving withholding leave/liberty/flight hours/etc.) if your Trafficking Persons/IA/whatever-other-stupid-anklebiters-are-thrown-at-us NKO courses, flu shots, wardroom dues, etc. aren't up to date.)

Being the quiz Shepard isn't always the most popular job :)

Shepherding the weak through the Valley of Darkness, eh?

pulp-fiction-films-photo-u3.jpg

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
E-2A/B/C/D all used huffers (Air Cart).. That's right.. E-2D brand new bazillion dollar plane. NO APU.

C-2A uses onboard APU, but can use huffer.

60Bs are APU only. 60F and I think 60H APU or Huffer.
Not sure on the 60R.
Well, the S has a port for "buddy starts", or I guess a huffer too, but I've never seen or even heard of anyone using that thing for anything.