• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NASA flight opportunities!

Yankee Uniform Tango
Looks like NASA are looking for pilots/crew for:

Parabolic Flights
High Altitude Balloon Flights
Suborbital Reusable Launch Vehicle Flights

http://nspires.nasaprs.com/external...6C5D60-20F3-E7FE-D4A3-710AE8AA43B6}&path=open

More info on current NASA platforms: https://flightopportunities.nasa.gov/platforms/im

Pretty doggone amazing. Now you can be this guy:

index.php

Attachments

• welcome_to_earf.jpg
    welcome_to_earf.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 416

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Parabolic flights? So, make people puke for a living? That's what I'll be doing in a few weeks. :) Seriously though, I'd be game to say "I'm a pilot for NASA".

Renegade One

None
High altitude balloon flights? So would you get the half-wing as an astronaut badge?
Don't think the altitudes achievable in a balloon would qual for Astronaut wings...but you'd be amazed at the things you can get made in Korea or the PI...:)

NASA is, I think, the only entity still flying B-57s in the WB-57 configuration (only two in service).

Here's a link: http://www.nasa.gov/missions/research/b-57_feature.html

BUDU

Don't think the altitudes achievable in a balloon would qual for Astronaut wings...but you'd be amazed at the things you can get made in Korea or the PI...:)

True...I guess I just have Baumgartner stuck in my head. Close enough to "space" for a liberal arts major like myself!

HuggyU2

None
... still flying B-57s in the WB-57 configuration (only two in service).
True... however, a third one will be restored and flying in just a few months from now.
It was mothballed in '72, and I believe it will be the longest-mothballed aircraft to ever be put back into service.

jmcquate

Contributor
True... however, a third one will be restored and flying in just a few months from now.
It was mothballed in '72, and I believe it will be the longest-mothballed aircraft to ever be put back into service.
Is it one of these?

WB-57.jpg

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Neat! I'd love to backseat in one of their B-57s. Imagine they're Weatherman/Earth Science types, though, yes?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Neat! I'd love to backseat in one of their B-57s. Imagine they're Weatherman/Earth Science types, though, yes?

Flash may come by and smack me, but "upper atmosphere research" is kind of a general term for some of what they do, if you catch my drift.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Flash may come by and smack me, but "upper atmosphere research" is kind of a general term for some of what they do, if you catch my drift.

Not sure what the exact quals are for flying the WB-57 and/or NASA in general but I think they are probably like NOAA in that they require a basline of knowledges testing/engineering/science-wise to get a gig with them. They would be more flight-focused than NOAA, looking for significant flying experience, but I don't think they'll take a history major with just the standard military flight expereince.

Whatever the WB-57 does the guys and gals who fly it were all retired military last I knew and that made it easier for them to fly out of places like Afghanistan where they were looking for minerals that could be mined.