• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NASA flight opportunities!

MasterBates

How does being retired make it easier? Just curious how that is easier than say someone who flew 12 years on AD and has an Engineering Degree.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How does being retired make it easier? Just curious how that is easier than say someone who flew 12 years on AD and has an Engineering Degree.

I didn't mean WRT to them being hired if that is what you are asking. I was referring to the WB-57 in Afghanistan doing mineral/geological surveys and more recently flying the Battlefield Airborne Communications Node (BACN) payload where the crews' status as military, even though retired, made it easier to fly in a war zone coordination/legal-wise. A plain govie civilian would have been harder from what I understand.

MasterBates

Ah, the whole "Fleet Reserve" thing factoring in. Makes sense.

Didn't know if this was some boondoggle the retiree crowd was keeping to themselves. How would that play with SELRES doing it as their CIV job? I know the NOSC I was going to drill at had real issues with me working in Dubai, Saudi and Russia, but couldn't produce anything saying I was prohibited from it. (I stayed IRR mostly due to this, and expecting me to do at least 10 hours a week Admin crap. For free)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
NASA is, I think, the only entity still flying B-57s in the WB-57 configuration (only two in service).

Here's a link: http://www.nasa.gov/missions/research/b-57_feature.html
A Canberra was in private hands and flew into FFZ, home field of the AZ Wing of the CAF, several years ago. It was parked outside the CAF hangar for a long time. I was told they had multiple serious malfunctions on the ferry flight across the pond and as of the last time I saw it a couple years ago, it still wasn't flying. That particular aircraft was an actual English Electric model from the RAF. The ones made in the US by Martin we slightly modified from the original British version. The NASA birds also look different than the civy one I saw. Bigger engines maybe and a different tail. I heard that the original design tail was too small for the motors at mil power on takeoff and provided marginal single engine authority.

jmcquate

Contributor
The
A Canberra was in private hands and flew into FFZ, home field of the AZ Wing of the CAF, several years ago. It was parked outside the CAF hangar for a long time. I was told they had multiple serious malfunctions on the ferry flight across the pond and as of the last time I saw it a couple years ago, it still wasn't flying. That particular aircraft was an actual English Electric model from the RAF. The ones made in the US by Martin we slightly modified from the original British version. The NASA birds also look different than the civy one I saw. Bigger engines maybe and a different tail. I heard that the original design tail was too small for the motors at mil power on takeoff and provided marginal single engine authority.
The RBs (NASA WBs) have a much bigger wing span and area. Avcanbra_3_07.png

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
What do most "modern" planes use for starts? IE Rhinos, E-2Ds, F-35/F-22, Ospreys etc? APUs for bleed air? Hydraulic accumulators? Some kind of crazy electric starter?

I assume the J-model hercs are similar to the mighty Orion in that they start off bleed air...

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Battery starts small engine which provides bleed air which turns starter...P-3, C-130, T-45, F-18...
Battery starts small engine which powers electric starter...F-35
Battery starts small engine which uses mechanical connection to turn turbine...F-16, F-15
Battery turns starter which starts engine...T/C-12, T-44, T-34, T-6,

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
What do most "modern" planes use for starts? IE Rhinos, E-2Ds, F-35/F-22, Ospreys etc? APUs for bleed air? Hydraulic accumulators? Some kind of crazy electric starter?

I assume the J-model hercs are similar to the mighty Orion in that they start off bleed air...

Hydraulic accumulator spins up APU. APU provides air source to start engines - H-60.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

MasterBates

E-2A/B/C/D all used huffers (Air Cart).. That's right.. E-2D brand new bazillion dollar plane. NO APU.

C-2A uses onboard APU, but can use huffer.

60Bs are APU only. 60F and I think 60H APU or Huffer.
Not sure on the 60R.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
E-2D brand new bazillion dollar plane. NO APU.

C-2A uses onboard APU, but can use huffer.

That right there should tell any prospective E2/C2 bubba, which community cares more about your happiness and well being. Think how limited the XC options are when you have to plan for a huffer. Ghey.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Battery starts small engine which provides bleed air which turns starter...F-18

Well I'll give you that the battery must be on, but the Hornet APU is spooled up by a hydraulic accumulator, prior to lighting off and becoming self aware. Then as you say, it pushes air through the bleed ducts to crank the individual motors. There is no "starter" in addition to the APU. It's been a long time (as in I remember exactly nothing about it) since I've been around a T-45, but I think the start-up system was a little bit more convoluted, and probably as you describe.