• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Recruiters, too!

I feel that my recruiter is doing his/her job to the best of his/her ability.

• Strongly Agree

Votes: 43 38.4%
  • Agree

Votes: 37 33.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 16 14.3%
  • Disagree

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • Strongly Disagree

Votes: 8 7.1%

• Total voters

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
I have had two recruiters and both of them have been great. Of course you also have to love the less than one mile drive I have to the office. I guess I this is more proof of Thisguy's theory.

Spencer

No worries, guys... If I get selected SNA first, I am going to be a pilot and never look back. When I was working on SEAL, I would have put pilot as another choice, but my recruiter said no way.

Now my new recruiter is telling me the quota wasn't met this year, and a few spots may be available...

HOORAH

Uncle Sam's Misguided Children
Hhmmmm....

From what I've read previously on this site it seems that the Navy guys have a lot of problems with their recruiters. Maybe it comes from understaffing or that the Navy is cutting back, right?, so they just don't need to be as persistent.

My OSO is fabulous. There have been a couple of times where he forgot a personal detail about me but how can you remember every detail about every person you talk to? You can't. I wasn't insulted. At the same time he calls me just to check in, makes sure everything is going OK, or to answer any new questions, etc. I haven't received any bad gouge or misrepresentations of the expected or required obligations. Everything he has told me has coincided with information I got elsewhere, from here, google searches, or asking other friends in the Marine Corps. I even asked him a question that he wasn't quite sure of the answer. He told me that flat out, didn't lie, and checked with three different sources for the answer to my question. I got the answer in 2 days. He's been quite motivating, always encouraging and happy. He runs with me anytime I want to go for a run. All I have to do is call him and his answer is usually "so how's 1730 today for you?" (he knows I work until 1700 everyday). I feel comfortable enough to confide personal concerns or ideas in him. The Major left, because he was promoted to Major, and it was immensely important to him that I meet the new Captain before he left. I signed my contract and was sworn in that day. I haven't felt brushed aside, forgotten, or like an annoyance to anyone in the office.

I feel bad that others have had such a nonsatisfying experience. But think of it this way, if you're motivated enough to "recruit yourself" then you definately want this as your career. Just keep up the research and good question asking here and you'll be fine.

Good luck!

BUDU

My OR has been great. He's an EM1 for the Pittsburgh NRD. I called him because he sent a BDCP email out to the student body (and I'd already been looking into BDCP, so now I just knew who to call). We talked for a bit, he asked me my GPA, major, details like that. We met face-to-face on-campus the very next afternoon.

It's been like that every time I've needed to talk to him. I'll call him up, and he'll say "what's your schedule look like?" We've even had the following exchange:
EM1: "How's Wednesday look for you?"
Me: "Not too good. Pretty full."
EM1: "How about in two hours?"
Me: "Completely free."
EM1: "I'll be right there."

JSnake

My OR's been extremely helpful through my process as well, and I'm at a pretty big city (New York). I only had to meet him at the office twice, and he took care of everything very promptly. My whole package took less than a month from start to finish once I decided to start it.

blarged

ready
My OR's been extremely helpful through my process as well, and I'm at a pretty big city (New York). I only had to meet him at the office twice, and he took care of everything very promptly. My whole package took less than a month from start to finish once I decided to start it.

I met my recruiter at an engineering career fair at my school 3 years ago.

"Here's the information but too young for BDCP, check back next year"

I met him at the career fair the following year and talked with him.

"I'll send you the papers"

A few months later I was non-select for IW

1.5 years later my recruiter calls out of the blue

"You want to apply again?"
"Heck yes!"

A few months later I was pro-rec'd for bdcp-iw.

My only complaint was that after my first non-select, I tried multiple times to get the ball rolling on my application again, but didn't get a response.

On the plus side, every time I have tried to get in contact with him when we are/were working on an application, he was very responsive.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
My recruiter (for my enlistment) performed to the best of his abilities...unfortunately the best he had wasn't much.

It is amazing how much can learn by google, talking to AD members, or running a contract by a lawyer...

I made $16,000 by pushing for every bonus I could get...

Keisi

When I first started looking into the Navy, the recruiters weren't very positive and supportive, like I was wasting their time. I had scheduled a meeting and he suggested that he might be going out of town but he said he would call me if he did. Well, meeting time came around and he wasn't in the office when I showed up.
I went through a different network system and got in touch with another recruiter and set up a meeting with him. I did my research and was fully prepared for the meeting and this impressed him. He was totally upbeat and tries to do everything he can and he doesn't forget about his recruits.
So I've dealt with both of the extremes. I guess it's just the luck of the draw.

le lyon

NFO BDCP'er
My recruiter told me recently that he looked at himself more as an advisor than a recruiter, per se. With that being said, he was extremely helpful and motivating during my entire application process. I've never had to wait more than a day for him to call or e-mail me back. I also thought he did a great job in helping me get my app. into the most competitive form possible. In fact, I don't even think I discovered this website until the week I swore in :p

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
I am so far satisfied with my recruiter, he has been very professional. While I don't go running with him on the weekends I do not feel as if I am bothering him by calling and asking questions. But, I do try and minimize the calling by saving up my questions until I have a decent-sized list, today for instance:

Me: Hello Captain _______, this is Ventilee; I have a few questions about the Shoulder Consult coming up. First of all, you did get all of my paperwork correct?
Recruiter: Yes
Me: Ok, I don't have to do anything for the travel arrangements except show up correct?
Recruiter: Yes, I just finished getting your flight and I am just finishing up the hotel reservations now.
Me: What would be appropriate attire? Khakis and a polo, jeans and a t-shirt, or workout clothes?
Recruiter: Khaki's and a polo
Me: Great, do you know what I should expect? Are they going to make me run a mile then do as many push-ups and pull-ups as possible or something crazy?
Recruiter: I have no idea, this is my first time bringing people for shoulder consults. You will be seeing a Navy Physical Therapist and I suspect you will do some push-ups and pull-ups.
Me: Alright then, I will see you in a week.

The entire call took no more then 3-minutes. I have a goal and he is there to help me reach my goal. As far as I'm concerned it's my job to get all of my information into a neat little package and his job to submit it.

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
Pill_Hacker said:
Where did concern for your shoulder come from? Civilian letter wasn't enough?

Nope, neither was the letter from the Naval Academy saying that I would have received a full waiver from them had I gotten in. I had a 'Reverse Bankhart' surgery last June to repair damage that occurred from multiple dislocations in my right shoulder that happened whilst playing hockey. The NOMI Regs say that I should be free and clear as long as:

1. I am at least 1 year post-surgery.
2. I have not had any dislocations since the surgery.
3. I know how to pop my shoulder back into place should it dislocate again.

Those are the three that I remember off the top of my head, but they obviously want to see me in person to ensure that it is alright.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
My recruiter did an outstanding job, especially given the program to which I was applying: DCO/DIRCOM Intel.

However, I will offer sage advice to future/current applicants to any Officer program:

1) Get off of your butt
2) Never, ever, ever wait on a phone call
3) If you encounter a roadblock, find another way through, period
4) Drive it to completion
5) Follow-up
6) Don't be afraid to thank someone for their time, including high-ranking individuals

For example: if you need interviews scheduled, schedule them. Find a way. Any way. Do not wait on the recruiter to do it for you.

coredukes

None
I couldn’t have asked for a better recruiter and processer. I dealt with my processer more than my recruiter I think I spoke to him twice throughout the whole process. But that didn’t really bother me I knew what I needed to get done and I did it. I was pro rec'd at the end of November and raised my hand in December so it wasn’t a bad deal at all. Overall thought I think my recruiter was very helpful. Either way they are a hell of a lot better than the Air Force recruiter I had when I first enlisted.

hanletj

pilot
My recruiting experience was less than pleasant. I was stuck with a senior chief 45 minutes from my place in college. I was putting in for SNA and nothing else, and I asked if I could get a flight physical in Pensacola to make sure I was good to go. I just didn't want to go if I wasn't qualified for SNA. He put it off for months and finally he got me a deal at NAS Atlanta because he didn't want to drive to Florida. There they found my eyes weren't up to par, and PRK was the only option, even though I had 20/30 vision. It was due to astigmatism. I did end up getting the surgery and I am in Pensacola (API) right now, but I had to give up the BDCP to delay OCS and pay out of pocket for the surgery, a $25,000 swing. If he had just let me go down there in the first place, I would have been $20,000 richer. Would I pay $20,000 to stay SNA right now? Absolutely. But these were the general problems.

1. He hated talking on the phone. They guy was always annoyed.

2. He knew nothing about aviation at all. He was convinced that the MEPS physical meant you could fly. (Ha)

3. His Chain of Command was pretty much clueless as well. If they did know, they often didn't tell him, or so he said.

4. It took a visit to a recruiter in my hometown to keep me from giving up. He helped me with PT for OCS as well as hooked me up with the physical exams coordinator in Pensacola for waiver purposes.

On the whole, if you don't like what you see, shop around. And if you are SNA, make SURE you get the go-ahead from NAMI before you sign one form.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
My OSO bent over backwards to get me into the program. I fear if it had been anyone else I'd not be here right now. He went way beyond what he was required to do for multiple issues.

Absolutely incredible guy.