• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Recruiters, too!

I feel that my recruiter is doing his/her job to the best of his/her ability.

• Strongly Agree

Votes: 43 38.4%
  • Agree

Votes: 37 33.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 16 14.3%
  • Disagree

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • Strongly Disagree

Votes: 8 7.1%

• Total voters

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
While I respect that you are having a tough time and a bit more help would be nice, that's tough.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17296&highlight=recruiters

Pilot applicants call us every day and we aren't goaled for them-usually, I'd have to check the latest numbers.

S.E.A.L.s are never goaled and they take maybe 6 or7 annually from the civ. pop. Are you one of the 7 biggest studs in the country that we'll take? Maybe, but the point is, your recruiter does not make goal for you becoming a S.E.A.L. I never put in a S.E.A.L. officer. He is goaled with the spots that are tough to fill, Nuke, CEC, SWO etc.

So, as has been said here. You are basically recruiting yourself. Because if you don't, nothing happens to your recruiter and there are 100 guys behind you that will do what they have to do.

If you want it bad enough, God Bless you-and I really mean that. But, if you don't, all the recruiters have to say is, "Next in line!"

Tough Love,

Here are competetive scores for SEAL Officer

500 yd swim - sub 7:00
120-140 push-ups
100-120 sit-ups
25-35 pull-ups
8:00-8:30 1.5 mile run

Here are your scores

My PRT scores: 1.5 mile=8:29 in boots and pants; push-ups=80 in 2 min; sit-ups=90 in 2 min; pull-ups=13; 500yd swim=8:28

nugget61

pilot
It's nice seeing that some folks had a great experience with their recruiters. Mine's scraping the bottom of the barrel - downright rude when I call, with some gems like:
"You'll never get selected for SNA, you should go NUPOC"
"I'm retiring soon so this doesn't matter to me"
"Well yeah, you got Pro-Rec'ced, but that doesn't mean anything so I didn't think you'd want to know"
"They won't start an OCS class from October to January"
And I could go on and on. He's so full of bad info that it's embarrassing that I have to correct darn near everything that he says and sad that he has someone knocking down his door to become a pilot and he's indifferent. Don't care though, gonna be flying soon I hope.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
It's nice seeing that some folks had a great experience with their recruiters. Mine's scraping the bottom of the barrel - downright rude when I call, with some gems like:
"You'll never get selected for SNA, you should go NUPOC"
"I'm retiring soon so this doesn't matter to me"
"Well yeah, you got Pro-Rec'ced, but that doesn't mean anything so I didn't think you'd want to know"
"They won't start an OCS class from October to January"
And I could go on and on. He's so full of bad info that it's embarrassing that I have to correct darn near everything that he says and sad that he has someone knocking down his door to become a pilot and he's indifferent. Don't care though, gonna be flying soon I hope.

What I said earlier notwithstanding, there are some real tools as well. Sounds like you did what you had to do.

nugget61

pilot
What I said earlier notwithstanding, there are some real tools as well. Sounds like you did what you had to do.

I think he's disgracing the uniform, but I still have too much respect for what he's done to call him that. It's a shame that the Navy doesn't have a checkup program in place for recruiters though.

JSnake

I think he's disgracing the uniform, but I still have too much respect for what he's done to call him that. It's a shame that the Navy doesn't have a checkup program in place for recruiters though.

Well I think they do, but more so for the beginner recruiters. When I went in for my interview with the CO, my recruiter had to go sit in on 2 separate 1-hr long boards where they (a board of several experienced recruiters) basically just grill another recruiter with different scenarios and whatnot. They have to be at least somewhat knowledgeable about their work. But as far as work ethics go, I don't know if there's any checks on that.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Recruiters have to lie, or they wouldn't meet their quotas (enlisted anyway). I don't think the best pitchman could get a guy to volunteer as an undesignated seaman telling him that he would work in a ship galley for the first 3-4 months, and then would graduate to mopping floors and chipping paint after that.

anghockey

Fleens? You're not Fleens!
I was working out of NRD Chicago in Great Lakes. My OR was absolutely fantastic. He returned my calls promptly, and most of the time I have not had to hound him for anything. Before my package went in he would even call to just check in (probably to make sure I was still interested). He scheduled interviews for me (which probably helped a LOT because I'm designated INTEL). There was a point where I was going to apply for the Reserves simultaneously, and he was great about helping me out with that as well. He's answered all of my questions honestly, and has definitely kept the process moving as quickly as he can.

There have been a few snags (it's a bureaucracy, after all), but everyone at NRD Chicago has been great.

JSF_Dreamer

Busted Head
My OR didn't really give me much attention until now that I've taken the ASTB. He gets a lot of calls every week so he doesn't really keep up with you unless you've finally taken the ASTB, I guess.

But he seems to be on top of things for me now.

Sorry to hear about your OR. Obviously, he didn't give a shit if he just up and quit. Hope things go better for you.

LET73

I worked with two recruiters, neither of whom was particularly knowledgeable about the OCS application process. The first was a chief who seemed not to be in the office much and wouldn't respond to calls or emails until I'd left at least three or four messages. She did say that the lack of effort on her part was deliberate, since anyone who really wanted a commission would have to work for it, and she wasn't going to hold anyone's hand. (Also, I was applying for intel, meaning that as far as she was concerned the potential for a return on her time investment was minimal.) The second was a staff corps LT who was a bit more helpful, but really only knew about direct commissioning programs and couldn't answer any of my questions about OCS.

All that being said, I've actually heard from more people who said their recruiters were extremely helpful than otherwise, so it's not all bad. And if your recruiter isn't helpful, just think of it as part one of the screening process. Part of being an officer is taking responsibility for your own future and going after what you want, because no one else is going to do it for you.