• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Took little longer than I had anticipated, but a fun little noise-maker. ~300 rounds so far with no issues. Built it from scratch (other than the forward assist and dust cover), which was a good experience.

image.jpeg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Aimpoint PRO. A bit hard to find right now and depending on where you buy it, only LE/MIL can get it. Botach Tactical has a good price (if they're in stock...and if you can tell from their website) and doesn't check initially on credentials. However they do claim that they'll ask should the need arise (read: If Aimpoint starts to audit them).

I like it. I had it on my .22 carbine for a while before the above rifle was assembled. Good price for a sturdy product.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
I don't get it. Why is Aimpoint restricting the sale of that scope to LE/Mil agencies?

I recently picked up a Trijicon TR21 for my AR

TR21.gif

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
How do you like the TR21? After a hard-down adventure at a 3-gun match, I borrowed a friends AR with one mounted. I would recommend adding a throw lever for the magnification adjustment ring. Much, much easier to make quick adjustments.

If Aimpoint is restricting sales, could it just be a supply/demand issue? None of their other products are restricted that I know of.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
How do you like the TR21? After a hard-down adventure at a 3-gun match, I borrowed a friends AR with one mounted. I would recommend adding a throw lever for the magnification adjustment ring. Much, much easier to make quick adjustments.

If Aimpoint is restricting sales, could it just be a supply/demand issue? None of their other products are restricted that I know of.

I like it, especially when coyote or hog hunting at night. I hadn't thought about the throw lever, but it does make sense. I'll have to see if I can find/make one. I don't know why the restriction, but if you search for it online you'll see where they're restricted.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor

Aimpoint has been "officially" restricting the sale of the PRO (Patrol Rifle Optic) for some months now. The Aimpoint PRO program was designed so that LE/Mil could have an Aimpoint that was affordable. Regardless of what their web sites say, as long as they have them in stock many internet stores will sell you one. (If you call up and ask them.)

There are a few slight differences between the PRO and an M2. The PRO has a 2mil dot vs a 4 mil dot and the tube is made of different material than the M2. It has a slightly shorter battery life (30,000 hours is plenty!). It also comes with the QRP2 mount included which I like just fine. The internet commando dig on the QRP2 is that when it's moved it might not return to 0 quite as well as something like a Larue mount. I mount my Comp M4s with it and I like it just fine. I've had no problems with it retaing 0 but then I haven't moved it off and back on to the weapon either.

At 400 bucks the PRO is one hell of a deal. If I needed another standard size Aimpoint that's exactly what I would buy.

Be careful with Botach. They will charge your CC for an out of stock item in a heartbeat. Not a big deal if it's restocked in a week maybe but they do the same thing if the item stays out of stock for months. Like you said unless you call them there is no way to tell if the item is in stock or not. IMHO there are way too many good internet vendors with websites that accurate list inventory to put up with the way Botach does business. YMMV

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
^Okay, thanks. The reasoning makes sense, I guess. Just a bit of confusion on my end from visiting another forum where everyone and their mother seems to have one. On another Aimpoint note, the reps are absolute fanatics about the products. I spent about an hour talking to them at one of the Modern Day Marine Expos last year, and while they didn't exactly run smack on their competitors, they did have fairly logical arguments to support their products.

I think I've said it before about Botach, but it pays to be cautious when dealing with them. I've had night and day kinds of experiences with them, to include never getting something I ordered and having to fight a bit to get refunded. The owner of the company was, if I remember correctly, somehow connected to the younger guy who was charged with fraud in a major sale of ammo to the Afghans (via the US government) a year or two ago. Birds of a feather and all...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Bingo. I know the company line was what Rocketman said, but I think it had more to do with available assets and them wanting to get them to the primary customers while they built up supply.

Be careful with Botach. They will charge your CC for an out of stock item in a heartbeat. Not a big deal if it's restocked in a week maybe but they do the same thing if the item stays out of stock for months. Like you said unless you call them there is no way to tell if the item is in stock or not. IMHO there are way too many good internet vendors with websites that accurate list inventory to put up with the way Botach does business. YMMV

The problem with the PRO is that their availability comes in waves. You might be able to find one in stock, but not at the $400 price point. Or if it is in stock, they go very quick. I had read similar stories like the above and went in cautious. The thing was, Botach had a deal (at the time) where they were giving two free Magpul 30 rounders for free and free shipping if you bought the PRO. When they said they had it in stock, I went for it. It paid off. I've also ordered from them (total of 2 times) where I bought a Troy front sight. I actually got an email saying it was out of stock and they wanted to know what I wanted to do. CC wasn't charged and I told them to cancel the order. Done in the span of 6 hours with no issues. I don't trust them completely, but I've certainly had a better experience than what I've read about. Not one of my "go to" vendors, but an option.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I just picked up a couple of new toys. All "business", nothing fancy.

The top one is a brand new weapon that I haven't fired yet. Hopefully I can find time to get it on paper and break it in a bit tomorrow. If so I hope to shoot it in a local 3 gun match over the weekend. It's a BCM (upper and lower). The upper is BCM's CHF mid-length 16" light weight configuration. I found a great deal on the T1 and Larue mount combo, so now I own two of those. I still can't help but wish it came with a reticle similar to EoTech's circle and dot though. That said the more I shoot T1's the more I like'em. If I could only have one RD optic I guess the T1 would be it. The light is a Surefire X300 and will probably end up mounted on the rifle below this one. The lower is the standard BCM lower but it sure has a sweet trigger.

The bottom weapon is a Colt 6720 which is a light weight barrel version of their 6920 (M4). I've had it for about a month and put maybe 400 rounds thru it. Very handy, easy pointing carbine.

My next project will be figuring out how to get the credit card balance back under control......

New Toys 2 (1280x960).jpg

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Anyone have experience with one of these sights: http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=ACOG ?

A vet that works for me says they are very good, but pricey. Wondered if there are any others here with an opinion on it.

A version of that sight is issued to almost every Marine so there are people here that have carried one in combat. It's what my son carried in Iraq. Fixed 4 power with ranging reticles bullet drop compensators optomized for either the 20" A4 or the 14.5 " M4. Uses a concept called BAC that allows you to use it with both eyes open for close in stuff. I have one. I'm not very good with it but I can imagine it would be very useful in a place like A'stan where takeing an accurate long shot might be important.