• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The worst thing to see is a nice rifle with cheap glass on it (not to say Eotech is cheap - but I wouldn't get anything cheaper than that IMHO)

Eotechs are nice, but just my opinion...... these are awesome:

Leupold Mark IV CQT

If you ever get a chance to shoot an AR with one on it, you'll see what I mean. It has so many great qualities about it.

I scoff at your choice.

IMG_0142.jpg

Bevo16

pilot
Eotechs are nice, but just my opinion...... these are awesome:

Leupold Mark IV CQT

It has so many great qualities about it.

Like being totally overpriced. $800 for a 3X optic with no ballistic compensation? It's to damn big and heavy to be a good CQB optic, and not enough magnification to be good long distance. Not to mention that your aiming point is going to get all fucked up when you adjust the magnification.

If anyone is going to spend that kind of money on an optic, they should just get the ACOG with the LaRue mount. At least that thing knows what it's job is.

ryan1234

Like being totally overpriced. $800 for a 3X optic with no ballistic compensation? It's to damn big and heavy to be a good CQB optic, and not enough magnification to be good long distance. Not to mention that your aiming point is going to get all fucked up when you adjust the magnification.

If anyone is going to spend that kind of money on an optic, they should just get the ACOG with the LaRue mount. At least that thing knows what it's job is.

Ha... such hostility... just my opinion - I liked it... but, I can see the problems some might have with it.... trying to be jack of all trades, master of none.....

I didn't really find the aiming point to be off that much at all... actually I didn't even use the zoom really maybe 1.5, overall it seemed to be faster for me than the EoTech. Eye relief seemed to be on par with the ACOG

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Thanks all for the responses.

Yes, I am happy to see the evil black rifle prices start to become more sane (not that they are a steal by any means)

I think the thing that sold me on this was the 5 free magpul mags, just have to wait 8-10 weeks now...

Seems like the consesus is to drop the dime on the eotech. Problem is there are no supliers in the area :(
HOWEVER!
I will be in texas next week, may have to shop around while I'm down there.

Thanks again gentlemen.

Oh and btw. I have shot a few rifles with a vertical forgrip. Not a fan at all, maybe If I was taller and had a longer reach it would be worth it. Otherwise, Its a waste of money.

If I do put a forward rail on the underside of the foregrip it'll be for one of these:icon_smil
http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77_80&products_id=132
could be fun right?

Oilcover

Costumed aggressor
pilot
I've still got some Wolf to shoot off, but today I went and put 100 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124 grain down the pipe. Case ejection is distinctly more positive with no failures of any kind so far. Accuracy at seven yards was as good as I'm going to get it. Recoil is definitely stronger than with cheap target ammo. My wife also shot it for the first time today. The trigger reach is a bit far for her hands, but she kept it on the paper. It'll work in a pinch for defense, but perhaps it's time to get her something.

I left the weapon uncleaned so I can do a full 200 round function check. I've read a few places that are as close as you can get to expertly trustworthy on the internet that the 124 grain Gold Dots are effective. Is there anything else I should be thinking about regarding carry ammo selection?

Bevo16

pilot
Ha... such hostility... just my opinion - I liked it... but, I can see the problems some might have with it.... trying to be jack of all trades, master of none.....

I didn't really find the aiming point to be off that much at all... actually I didn't even use the zoom really maybe 1.5, overall it seemed to be faster for me than the EoTech. Eye relief seemed to be on par with the ACOG

It's not hostility. IT'S PASSION!!!!

Just kidding, it's hostility. Obviously.

Maybe sarcasm? Never can tell.

I just think that some people try to do to much with their AR's, and end up setting them up so that they can't really do much of anything well. If you are going to set up an AR with a non-magnified red-dot, then you are doing a CQB or (if you are honest with yourself in the fact that we are not going to be clearing rooms with our AR's) home defense set up. I am zeroed to a gnat's ass at 25 yards, just ask President Roosevelt:

6014_104052810652_698645652_2492012_7786807_n.jpg

That zero has me aiming about 4-6 inches low to knock down a 6X8 steel plate at 150 yards. That kind of shooting is for fun. If I am ever shooting my AR at something at that range, either the apocalypse is upon us or I have reservations at jail.

If I am going to kill something at those ranges to put on the table (sliced thin and chicken fried), I am going to use this guy:

7722_158563845652_698645652_3157045_3860687_n.jpg

That rifle knows what it's job is.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
I've read a few places that are as close as you can get to expertly trustworthy on the internet that the 124 grain Gold Dots are effective. Is there anything else I should be thinking about regarding carry ammo selection?

Gold Dots are great. Your only concern is to make sure that all mags you use for carry/defense feed reliably. If it runs 200 rounds flawlessly through each magazine I intend to carry (which for you may only be one) then that's good enough.

Gold Dots are a plated bullet rather than a JHP, which means the performance is fairly close to Berry's plated bullets (good news for handloaders, anyway)... that lets me practice on the cheap. Keep that in mind if you load now, or intend to later.

Oilcover

Costumed aggressor
pilot
Gold Dots are great. Your only concern is to make sure that all mags you use for carry/defense feed reliably. If it runs 200 rounds flawlessly through each magazine I intend to carry (which for you may only be one) then that's good enough.

Gold Dots are a plated bullet rather than a JHP, which means the performance is fairly close to Berry's plated bullets (good news for handloaders, anyway)... that lets me practice on the cheap. Keep that in mind if you load now, or intend to later.

I hadn't thought about 200 per mag. We'll see if I wind up going down the handloading rabbit hole or not.

ryan1234

I just think that some people try to do to much with their AR's, and end up setting them up so that they can't really do much of anything well. If you are going to set up an AR with a non-magnified red-dot, then you are doing a CQB or (if you are honest with yourself in the fact that we are not going to be clearing rooms with our AR's) home defense set up.

7722_158563845652_698645652_3157045_3860687_n.jpg

That rifle knows what it's job is.

Nice! Where did you get the cheek pad?

Bevo16

pilot
It's nothing special. Just a 25$ Blackhawk Tactical pad that I picked up at the local gun shop. It will do until I find something I like better. The nice thing about it is that I can put a chem lite in the little pocket on the pad. I almost killed myself getting out of my tree stand last year in the dark.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Seems like the consesus is to drop the dime on the eotech. Problem is there are no supliers in the area :(
HOWEVER!
I will be in texas next week, may have to shop around while I'm down there.

I guess I should do a better job of supporting local shops but I buy almost everything over the web. Especially if I'm buying stuff like Aimpoint/EOtech, uppers, mags etc. It's easy to research and easy to find the best price that way. If I need to eyeball it I do it at gun shows or shops but 9 times out of 10 I still buy it online.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
I guess I should do a better job of supporting local shops but I buy almost everything over the web. Especially if I'm buying stuff like Aimpoint/EOtech, uppers, mags etc. It's easy to research and easy to find the best price that way. If I need to eyeball it I do it at gun shows or shops but 9 times out of 10 I still buy it online.

The thing is, USUALLY (being the key word), I can talk a dealer down on a price (though often time its slightly inflated anyways). Especially If I happen to be purchasing ammo or mags at the same time. This may just be a SD thing. Maybe talking down a stubborn texan is a lil out of my league. ;)