• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A4's- I'm in CA so Kalish pistols are fairly challenging to come by. Is that by chance a Lancaster pistol? Mike at Lancaster recently quoted me $799 for their CA compliant bullet button version. I realize it's not practical- but tactical applications? A possibility with that rig. Is it chambered in 7.62x39?
Bulgie kit ... NODAK-SPUD receiver and enough USA parts to 'fool' the bureaucrats w/ their import 'restrictions' ... it's 'more'$$$$ than what you quoted, and it's in 5.45X39mm ... a.k.a. the 'new' 5.56X45mm NATO. Good ammo ... good penetration ... really, really good prices right now ... until the 'unwashed' discover it. :)

The toughest thing is finding magazines -- other than metal as they always seem to fit -- that are 'bakelite' and will fit/function. Don't believe what ANYONE tells you ... it's an individual magazine thing.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At some point it starts making sense just to buy another platform. IMHO where the good stops and the bad begins depends on who you ask.
That's the thing. For the price of the optic, you could get another rifle . . . and I'm not entirely sure just how much you can get out of the shorter barrel re: accuracy. I thought it was more a function of the round than the weapon, provided that the weapon was of reasonable quality. Excepting of course that a shorter barrel would give you less velocity, and thus potentially more bullet drop and a shorter effective range, no?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Has anyone had any experience with the EOtech magnifiers?
A waste of time & money ... too much weight (relative thing) ... too much bullshit & lenses to lookie through (relative thing) ... and just one more thing-y to mess with ... not a relative thing.

Just my $20 worth ... :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
+ 1. Mag well works just fine for me
I like vertical foregrips ... better weapon control and faster target acquisition and a place to attach tactical light switches, if that's a consideration ... for 'real world' stuff &/or competition.

If any of the above are not a consideration ... then move along ... nothing to look at here. :)

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
That's the thing. For the price of the optic, you could get another rifle . . . and I'm not entirely sure just how much you can get out of the shorter barrel re: accuracy. I thought it was more a function of the round than the weapon, provided that the weapon was of reasonable quality. Excepting of course that a shorter barrel would give you less velocity, and thus potentially more bullet drop and a shorter effective range, no?

Yep. There is always another rifle. God help me, there is always another rifle. Actually when I wrote "platform" I was thinking of not another rifle but another scope entirely. That, as opposed to what some folks might consider a "makie workie" solution with an EOtech and magnifier. To each his own. There is no "right" answer here of course.

There are lot's of people who will argue that the average shooter will never out shoot a 16" AR and that a 20" AR won't improve their accuracy significantly. I believe this is true if you are talking about shooting with an optic. With Iron sights I agree that a 20" AR is more accurate than a carbine. I think that's true because of the longer sight radius not because of the longer barrel. I like middy 16" AR's because they have a longer sight radius than a standard carbine.

I am far from an expert but in my mind choosing a longer barrel has more to do with velocity and effective range than accuracy. YMMV

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Oh, by the way ... I'm buying some more ... a LOT more ... 5.7 X 28mm ammo and pistol accessories ...

Anyone wonder why ... ??? :)

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Thought I'd grace this thread with something other than tacti-cool popguns (although the M-14/M-1A on the 1st page is seriously righteous).

This is a 1.3 million Winchester Garand purchased through the DCM in the 80s. It is a 1965 Letterkenny Army Depot rebuild, done as part of a program to rearsenal Garands to send to Vietnam. The only Winnie part on the entire rifle is the receiver -- everything else is Springfield, with a very nice gray Park job on the used rebuild parts, and a dark black-ish park on what were probably NOS parts used in the rebuild.

winnie1.jpg

winnie2.jpg

The LEAD rebuild mark
winnie3.jpg

The new SA barrel put on during the rebuild
winnie4.jpg

A very faint SA/NFR cartouche on the left side of the stock
winnie5.jpg

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Thought I'd grace this thread with something other than tacti-cool popguns (although the M-14/M-1A on the 1st page is seriously righteous).

This is a 1.3 million Winchester Garand purchased through the DCM in the 80s. It is a 1965 Letterkenny Army Depot rebuild, done as part of a program to rearsenal Garands to send to Vietnam. The only Winnie part on the entire rifle is the receiver -- everything else is Springfield, with a very nice gray Park job on the used rebuild parts, and a dark black-ish park on what were probably NOS parts used in the rebuild.

winnie1.jpg

Beautiful piece of wood on that weapon.