• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motivational Statement MEGA Thread

m26

Contributor
My demonstrated leadership ability, combined with my sense of selflessness and loyalty to my country is in stride with the core values of the Navy.

"In stride with?" Is that a thing? I guess it makes sense, but I'm not familiar with that particular idiom.

I will prove a great complimentary asset to the Navy by continuing its legacy through exemplifying Honor, Courage, and Commitment.

I think the Navy is awesome too. But I don't think they selected me so I'd call it pretty every day.

Though weaponry, strategy and economics comprise the substance of war, a body of men and their leader acting of one mind will define its success.

Someone might call the PC police on you. Tsk.

Carry on :)

Lucy

A few drinks tonight, candlelight, some Gladiator/Braveheart soundtrack and maybe dressing up in my viking garb might give me the inspiration to write from the heart....

Just a little TMI... :-D

m26- Heading to OCS soon right? Ready?

m26

Contributor
m26- Heading to OCS soon right? Ready?

Soonish. Mentally, yes. Physically... eh, I'm still recovering from some injury woes (plus bad genes in general), but I'll be there by January.

Marine66

Marm- here is my take. Here is what I hear when I read your statement..... novelist novelist novelist - wanna be professor.... Your writing style is too documentary-ish. It sounds too theoretical and it reads as though you are desperately trying to impress the board with your knowledge and creative writing style. Relax a little, soften the language. Keep in mind the guys reading this don't want to be "duped" they want to know who you are, why you want to do this, what makes you think you are capable or leading men and why you think they should select you as an officer. It's that simple. Don't paint flamboyant images in your statements / writing style. These guys and gals pull on their trousers just like you and I. If they think your "full of it" your package gets placed in the "not recommended" stack. In reading your statement, it doesn't feel down to earth, it feels too "theoretical-pie in the sky". If I didn't know any better, I would think you were preparing for a college public speaking class. Your statement is too stuffy, bring it down a bit, keep it real. That's just my 2-cents. But for what its worth- been there.... done that...

marmoset54

Final Select Supply Corps
I...actually flirted with the idea to be professor. :) Academically trained here - suppose it bled through my essay.

Thanks for the honesty, rewritten and sent for perusal.

hesp77

I have been working on completing my officer packet for several months now and am nearly ready to submit for the November board. I was wondering if anyone wouldn't mind giving me some comments on my motivational statement before I submit the final draft. I would prefer to email it to someone if possible. I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks

Marine66

Hesp77 - I will review for you and give you some feedback.
Marmoset54- you indicated you sent for perusal- feel free to send to me, and I will look it over as well.
Regards-

zachw

I've been browsing this thread for a while now, but I'm finally ready to submit something for some feedback. I would really appreciate any help you guys can give me!

Here is what I know about what I have so far. 1) it's not real great, and I realize that and am already thinking of places it can be changed and 2) it seems like way to much fluff and not enough meat, so I'm prepared to change that too.

Thanks again in advance for taking a look.

There were times in my life when I know that I was guilty of forgetting how fortunate I am. I was raised in a great family, had the opportunity to go to great schools, and have the influence of great people around me. I look at my upbringing not as a hindrance for not seeing my fortunes, but as an opportunity for me to gain wisdom from those older and much more wise than me, whether it was my parents, employers, or professors.

I know that without experiences like Officer Candidate School and real experience in The Navy I could not be prepared for such a leadership position, but I can trust that my upbringing and experience has prepared me to start down that road. A stand out experience is working in an emergency room in Bryan, Texas. As a scribe in the ER I witnessed firsthand what teamwork and responsibility really mean. No individuals in the emergency room are capable of function alone or without their respective schooling, but together and with time and effort they were prepared to daily save lives. I learned to view every situation objectively and always function at the highest level from these coworkers.

While I know I can get ahead with my determination and drive to lead, when I first became interested in serving in the military I was not sure of my abilities. I knew that no matter what I did, if I was an officer my duties would be to serve as an officer first. I see this as a commitment encompassing an officer’s obligation to his or her specific role, in addition to functioning as a moral beacon. The skills involved in accomplishing these functions are widespread. I cannot imagine that at this moment I am ready to assume all of these duties, but the difficulty and the precision of accomplishment involved are driving factors for me desire this profession. Being a perfectionist and actively seeking challenge can only be a positive.

It is sometimes difficult to put into words my reasons for seeking a commission as a Naval officer, but I know that it is all I want to do. My options to do something else, medical school, using my pilot’s license in the commercial world, or advancing to the business world are fine, but their appeal pales in comparison to a future in the United States Navy.

PITTENGINEER

Zach, I'm fairly new at this myself and haven't read many of these, but I think the intro to yours and the segment on working in the ER are very good. I also think you've sorta gone the same direction as I have in your last paragraph. I try to make a point that I have many options in the civilian world, but the choice to go into the Navy stems from a desire to serve my country, and I'm not just reaching out for someway to start a career. Also, I noticed you have "The Navy" in there with a capital T, I address the Navy as the "United States Navy" in mine. Not that there would be any confusion, but the more formal verbage seems to imply more respect, at least in my mind. Does that make sense to anybody else?

Mine is below, in its most raw form. I've got a bit tired of reading it/changing it, so I'm taking a break and letting somebody else review it before I revist it. I do, however, think I'll rewrite the last two paragraphs as if I've finished my MSME, considering that it'll be completed within the next month. If there's any comments along the lines of grammar/format/content I'm all ears and any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The decision to serve in the Armed Forces was made well over eight years ago, and although it has been concrete throughout those eight years, going about it has been a constantly evolving plan. As a member of an Army JROTC program in high school, interest began to grow in a career and the Armed Forces, and very soon I found myself considering many different avenues of pursing this career. The idea of serving in the Armed Forces intrigued me for several reasons, but most importantly I was after the opportunity to give back to my country and the adventure associated with it.
Nearing the end of high school, strong academics and a desire to take my education further encouraged the idea of seeking an Officer commission. During this time a Navy ROTC scholarship was considered but not pursued due to a competitive scholarship to a well reputed engineering college that did not have a ROTC program. Although this was clearly a missed opportunity, there is no doubt that path chosen was a rewarding one as well.
Throughout college, the idea of serving in the Armed Forces did not subside, but instead grew. In the civilian workplace I was given ample opportunity to test and develop my technical and leadership abilities, but I still felt that I could do much more if given the chance to use these abilities in the Armed Forces. Once entering the Master’s program at the University of Pittsburgh, I began researching what careers in the Armed Forces would allow me to utilize my education and experience, and the Navy undoubtedly presented the greatest opportunities in the engineering field.
Since completing my undergraduate education and entering the engineering field as a full time professional, I have done well and been quite successful for an individual of my age, and with the addition of an advanced degree this fall and testing for my Professional Engineering license next year, I feel that in the civilian sector it is likely that I will only continue to succeed. Granting all this, I still feel the opportunity to serve my country in the United States Navy would prove to be a much more rewarding path that would allow me to fulfill my obligation to the country which has given me so many opportunities and freedoms.
Now nearing graduation, I feel prepared to do what I’d been considering for a long time. The decision is made to serve my country in the United States Navy. Serving in the United States Navy offers the adventure I’ve been seeking since high school but utilizes my strong engineering and leadership background and develops it further. This combined with the opportunity to serve my country, like most of my family and friends have before me, compels me to seek a Navy Officer commission where I aim to do my best to serve my country and spread freedom and democracy around the world.

m26

Contributor
There are some problems, but the biggest is that you use the passive voice way too much.

Lucy

I will second what m26 said and add that it seems too much like a political or miss America speech. Too many generalizations. For being a whole statement of how you got to where you are there is a lack of personality.

Navy10524

I am posting my statements up here. Going for OCS so there are 2 statements to go with. Don't be afraid to critique. Let me know what you think and what, if anything should change.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One goal of mine since I entered the Navy has been to earn a commission. As a commissioned officer I believe I can use my previous experiences and leadership qualities in the submarine community to make a better contribution to the future success of the Navy. My experience as a nuclear qualified Electrician has provided me with a "hands-on" knowledge of the Navy Submarine Community; this will enable me to understand and effectively work with both enlisted and commissioned Sailors to accomplish mission. As a commissioned officer I will be on the path to command at-sea; the pinnacle of an officer’s career. Command at-sea offers the challenge of leading others and involves challenges that can be found nowhere either in the military or in the civilian business sector.
The qualities I possess to help me reach this goal are my attention to detail, calmness under pressure, and ability to learn quickly. Catching the small details is what makes the difference between average and great; it could be the difference between life and death. The calmness under pressure allows me to make well thought out decisions regardless of the situation. Being able to learn a topic quickly will allow me more time to gain greater knowledge. It will give me more time to interact with the crew and less time spent poring over books. My ability to learning quickly allowed me to achieve honors at graduation from prototype class.

The core values of honor, courage, and commitment stand for all that is Navy.
Being honest and truthful in our dealings with each other, and with those outside the Navy embodies honor. Honor is abiding by an uncompromising code of integrity, taking responsibility for our actions and keeping our word in any situation whether observed or on our own.

Having commitment is exhibiting the highest degree of moral character, technical excellence, and quality and competence, in what we have been trained to do. It is striving for positive change and constant improvement. Commitment is following through on your word no matter what.

Courage is meeting the demands of our profession and the mission when it is hazardous, demanding, or otherwise difficult with an unfailing and hard charging attitude. It is making decisions in the best interest of the Navy and the nation, without regard to personal consequences. Courage gives us the moral and mental fortitude to do the right thing even in the face of adversity.

PITTENGINEER

Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to avoid using the first person too much, and now that you've pointed it out it seems I went overboard with the passive voice. I'll be revising the grammar of most the essay, and rewriting the second half as if my degree is completed. On the other hand, do you feel the content is appropriate? It seems like I read some that go overboard on the patriotism and have very little content that is unique to the writer. Avoiding that I tried to explain the steps I've taken, and answer a few questions that I would expect to come up.

nfortner

Already posted this in Navy OCS thread, didn't realize this one was already up. Oh well, here it is, thanks!
----------------------
So I've finally gotten a draft of my motivational statement together. My recruiter and a few others advised me to keep it somewhat generic in regards to career tracks, so I've shot for why I want to be a Navy officer, and why I would make a good one, instead of going deeper into what I want to do with the Navy. Anyway, here it is. Thanks for taking a look at it!
Throughout my life, military service has always been at the forefront of my mind. As the child of public servants and exposure to the Armed Forces through my father at a young age, I was set on a track to serve my country before I even realized all that was involved in such a commitment. Through these early life experiences, I developed an understanding and deep personal appreciation of patriotism, honor and loyalty, and a realization that a career with the United States military was the best fit with my own personality, traits and skills than any other.

The Navy specifically is the embodiment of that of which I desire to be a part. Service to my country, coupled with the opportunity to lead the best, work among the best, and be taught by the best that our country has to offer is both a humbling and awe-inspiring prospect. No other career offers the same opportunity to use and further develop my leadership skills than as an officer in the United States Navy. The opportunity to develop as a leader, mentor others with what I learn, as well as use my own unique skills and abilities to aid other officers at my level, all while serving my nation, is what draws me to a career as a Navy officer. The Navy is the best way to satisfy my hunger to lead and guide like-minded individuals, and to work with superiors who are equally as motivated and devoted to service of the nation.

When considering my own personal knowledge, personality, interests and skills, as well as education, no other branch of the United States' uniformed services offers quite the same fit as the United States Navy. My educational background in politics, military history and international relations has prepared me to serve the Navy by giving me an outstanding geopolitical background. It has also trained my mind to be thoughtful, organized and investigative. Technical knowledge gained through my work experience in the world of information technology and through first hand educational and flight experiences with NASA gives me the skills necessary to be an effective officer in a Navy where cutting edge technology, especially with the advent of Information Dominance and the need for increased cyber-security, is becoming more and more ubiquitous in its day to day operation.

The diverse nature of the Navy's mission provides me with a range of opportunities to lead, organize, guide and serve that are not available elsewhere. My personality and drive will place me in a position to succeed as an officer in the United States Navy, and I would be honored to be given the opportunity to serve in its ranks.

PITTENGINEER

Do you guys think its wise to mention medical conditions in the Motivational Statement? Only reason why I feel obligated to mention it is when reading through my statement the obvious question comes up why I didn't go the NROTC or BDCP route instead of waiting until I was done with my Master's. I'd prefer not to draw attention to it but I feel like it should be addressed. Any thoughts?