• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motivational Statement MEGA Thread

GreenLantern330

Do you guys think its wise to mention medical conditions in the Motivational Statement? Only reason why I feel obligated to mention it is when reading through my statement the obvious question comes up why I didn't go the NROTC or BDCP route instead of waiting until I was done with my Master's. I'd prefer not to draw attention to it but I feel like it should be addressed. Any thoughts?

I know that I, personally, did that. I might change that though and write another one. Most people will say to just write from the heart and how/why you truly feel/want to be a naval officer. Keep in mind that there are probably a lot of people who wait years after they graduate college and decide this is what they want and maybe don't even have a medical reason for the time gap. They would probably just try to focus on why they should be selected or why the want it. Just my $0.02.

Hopefully someone else more involved in helping others with motivational statements can give you a better answer.

gcdominguez

Motivational Statement

Im not sure if this is the right part of the forum to ask this, but can someone pleaes check my Motivational Statement. I would like to get some help before I submit my Statement. thank you in advance.

I am seeking a commission in the United States Navy to have an opportunity to do my part to help the county that has taken me in and helped me progress though my life. I am a first generation US citizen from the Philippines. The Unites States of America has given my family and I so much freedom and opportunity that I feel obligated to give back to my country. I want to be a Naval Officer to serve and protect my country, my fellow Americans and my family. I want to help preserve life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness that the United States of America gave me and my family.
It is my goal to be a Naval Officer so that I can prove that with hard work and determination, anything is possible. I received my Bachelors degree from ITT in the field of Information System Security with a 3.63 GPA while working a full time job. Now, I have been in IT (Information Technology), security for five years and I want to do my part to serve and protect our county, in the vast growing field of information system warfare. I believe that I have the maturity, dependability and the skills needed to adapt in the changing conditions that come with being a leader. If given a chance, I will take great pride and honor in being a part of the U.S. Navy as a commissioned Officer.

DowntownJB

Good Evening,

Hopefully I am not hijacking this thread or taking away from any previous posters. Here is the rough draft of my motivational statement. I have done only a small amount of research and the census seems to be that the two questions needed to be answered are, 1. Why do I want to join the Navy, and 2. Why should I be chosen. Please feel free to elaborate if I am misinformed. I would greatly appreciate any constructive criticism. If your wondering why I am applying Navy as a former Marine, the Marine Corps OSO said I was too old but Navy says I'm not, doesn't make sense they work off the same age regs I thought. I'm 28, will be 28 1/2 when I graduate.

Thank you in advance,

Jeremy

From an early age I developed a tremendous respect for my country and those who have fought to preserve it. As a boy I recall my grandfather, a Korean Conflict veteran and mentor, recounting events that would make the weak of heart and stomach cringe. Though he braved brutal conditions, sustained multiple combat injuries, and embraced his best friend drawing his final breath on the battlefield; my grandfather remained a true and loyal patriot. He picked up his rifle and fought, fought so that I/we could have a better way of life. Many years later I would carry on his legacy by enlisting in the United States Marine Corps. As a marine I learned the true value of leadership. Every marine is a leader but I was given the opportunity to prove it. Rather than standing idly by awaiting the end of my obligation I took initiative obtained two secondary MOS’s. As primary marksmanship instructor for 4th Air Naval Gunfire Liaison Company I was given the unique opportunity to demonstrate competency in my specialty and leadership abilities. I was entrusted by the Commanding Officer to ensure Marines and Sailors awaiting theater deployment were weapon proficient and combat ready. After 5 combat deployments 4th ANGLICO suffered zero fatalities and only several combat related injuries. Subsequently, my fabrication and development of the S-1 travel claim tracking system would prove vital to mission accomplishment. My efforts, in conjunction with three fellow marines produced the highest MCAAT (administrative inspection) score (95.83) in the history of 4th ANGLICO; ultimately being commended by Commanding Officer Lt. Col. Ahern for exhibiting exemplary administrative knowledge, skills, and dedication to the Marine Corps. Not only as a Marine, but as a person I constantly strive to better myself. In the civilian world I have nurtured my leadership and communication skills through the management of small business, as a licensed realtor, and volunteering in the Civil Air Patrol. Though I have always dreamed of becoming a naval aviator, family obligations have hindered my progress. Now back on track and determined as ever, I have earned my private pilot certificate in only 47.8 hours and I am as enthusiastic about aviation as day one. In conclusion, the caliber of military officers produced by the Navy and Marine Corps are without doubt the worlds finest, I am motivated, dedicated, and without doubt have what it takes to lead the world’s finest navy.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Im not sure if this is the right part of the forum to ask this, but can someone pleaes check my Motivational Statement. I would like to get some help before I submit my Statement. thank you in advance.

This is the right place.

I am seeking a commission in the United States Navy to have an opportunity to do my part to help the county that has taken me in and helped me progress though my life. I am a first generation US citizen from the Philippines. The Unites States of America has given my family and I so much freedom and opportunity that I feel obligated to give back to my country. I want to be a Naval Officer to serve and protect my country, my fellow Americans and my family. I want to help preserve life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness that the United States of America gave me and my family.

I like your opening. You need to go back through it and fix your errors though such as in the first sentence.

It is my goal to be a Naval Officer so that I can prove that with hard work and determination, anything is possible. I received my Bachelors degree from ITT in the field of Information System Security with a 3.63 GPA while working a full time job. Now, I have been in IT (Information Technology), security for five years and I want to do my part to serve and protect our county, in the vast growing field of information system warfare. I believe that I have the maturity, dependability and the skills needed to adapt in the changing conditions that come with being a leader. If given a chance, I will take great pride and honor in being a part of the U.S. Navy as a commissioned Officer.

I think you second paragraph is weak and you give too much information that the board can find other places in your application. Remember you need to be talking about what you have to offer the Navy, what would make you a good officer, and why you want to be an officer (which you answered in the first paragraph).

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I'm 28, will be 28 1/2 when I graduate.

So what are you applying for? When do you graduate?

From an early age I developed a tremendous respect for my country and those who have fought to preserve it. As a boy I recall my grandfather, a Korean Conflict veteran and mentor, recounting events that would make the weak of heart and stomach cringe. Though he braved brutal conditions, sustained multiple combat injuries, and embraced his best friend drawing his final breath on the battlefield; my grandfather remained a true and loyal patriot. He picked up his rifle and fought, fought so that I/we could have a better way of life.

Alright lets begin. This is great information however I wouldn't include it in my motivational statement. I have a long military family heritage and I didn't mention anyone. Once again this is just my opinion but I would get rid of it.

Many years later I would carry on his legacy by enlisting in the United States Marine Corps. As a marine I learned the true value of leadership. Every marine is a leader but I was given the opportunity to prove it.

Rather than standing idly by awaiting the end of my obligation I took initiative obtained two secondary MOS’s. As primary marksmanship instructor for 4th Air Naval Gunfire Liaison Company I was given the unique opportunity to demonstrate competency in my specialty and leadership abilities. I was entrusted by the Commanding Officer to ensure Marines and Sailors awaiting theater deployment were weapon proficient and combat ready. After 5 combat deployments 4th ANGLICO suffered zero fatalities and only several combat related injuries. Subsequently, my fabrication and development of the S-1 travel claim tracking system would prove vital to mission accomplishment. My efforts, in conjunction with three fellow marines produced the highest MCAAT (administrative inspection) score (95.83) in the history of 4th ANGLICO; ultimately being commended by Commanding Officer Lt. Col. Ahern for exhibiting exemplary administrative knowledge, skills, and dedication to the Marine Corps.

Not only as a Marine, but as a person I constantly strive to better myself. In the civilian world I have nurtured my leadership and communication skills through the management of small business, as a licensed realtor, and volunteering in the Civil Air Patrol.

First, I broke the paragraph up. You should have at least 3 paragraphs (intro, body, conclusion). I broke them where I believe it would work best for you and fit the mold described previously. Content wise this is some fantastic stuff. I'm horrible at writing so I'm not looking for grammatical errors or anything like that. But I have to tell you that this is exactly what you need to be saying. At least that is what I would be doing.

Though I have always dreamed of becoming a naval aviator, family obligations have hindered my progress.

Are you making an excuse here as to why you didn't apply earlier? If so, I wouldn't want to convey that message to a board of higher ranking officers.

Now back on track and determined as ever, I have earned my private pilot certificate in only 47.8 hours and I am as enthusiastic about aviation as day one. In conclusion, the caliber of military officers produced by the Navy and Marine Corps are without doubt the worlds finest, I am motivated, dedicated, and without doubt have what it takes to lead the world’s finest navy.

I think you can cut most of this out and just use a version of this statement (not how you currently have it), " the caliber of military officers produced by the Navy and Marine Corps are without doubt the worlds finest, I am motivated, dedicated, and without doubt have what it takes to lead the world’s finest navy." Basically you have answered the questions what I have to offer the Navy and why the Navy should select you. Just work on why I want to be an officer a little more and I think you have got it. Good Luck and I hope this helps.

Lucy

Downtownjb- Do have a few runons/akward sentences, but like tbc said great content. If you put your spell check on to include grammar at the "technical" level it should pick most of them up.
Thank you for your service and good job.

DowntownJB

So what are you applying for? When do you graduate?

Alright lets begin. This is great information however I wouldn't include it in my motivational statement. I have a long military family heritage and I didn't mention anyone. Once again this is just my opinion but I would get rid of it.

First, I broke the paragraph up. You should have at least 3 paragraphs (intro, body, conclusion). I broke them where I believe it would work best for you and fit the mold described previously. Content wise this is some fantastic stuff. I'm horrible at writing so I'm not looking for grammatical errors or anything like that. But I have to tell you that this is exactly what you need to be saying. At least that is what I would be doing.

Are you making an excuse here as to why you didn't apply earlier? If so, I wouldn't want to convey that message to a board of higher ranking officers.

I think you can cut most of this out and just use a version of this statement (not how you currently have it), " the caliber of military officers produced by the Navy and Marine Corps are without doubt the worlds finest, I am motivated, dedicated, and without doubt have what it takes to lead the world’s finest navy." Basically you have answered the questions what I have to offer the Navy and why the Navy should select you. Just work on why I want to be an officer a little more and I think you have got it. Good Luck and I hope this helps.

Thank you so much for the insight. I am applying for SNA but its going to be close, if I even get an age waiver. I graduate in May 2011, I agree I should probably focus on why I want to be an officer a little more.

Thanks again,

Jeremy

DowntownJB

@Lucy unfortunately I am stuck with wordperfect which does not have all those nice features. The computers on campus have the latest version of word. I will use those, great idea. Thank you.

Lucy

Ya, I also don't have Word and have to verify everything against the school computer. Would be glad to go over it again once you've edited it. :)

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Thank you so much for the insight. I am applying for SNA but its going to be close, if I even get an age waiver. I graduate in May 2011, I agree I should probably focus on why I want to be an officer a little more.

Thanks again,

Jeremy

No problem. My pleasure. You shouldn't have too much difficulty in getting the waiver but you are cutting it pretty close and if they deem you unable to graduate OCS before your 29 then you won't get one. That little bit of info is from personal experience.

DowntownJB

OCS dates

No problem. My pleasure. You shouldn't have too much difficulty in getting the waiver but you are cutting it pretty close and if they deem you unable to graduate OCS before your 29 then you won't get one. That little bit of info is from personal experience.

Do you know where I can find current OCS dates and deadlines?

Thank you,

Jeremy
EDIT:
I found something, thanks anways.

gcdominguez

This is the right place.

I like your opening. You need to go back through it and fix your errors though such as in the first sentence.

I think you second paragraph is weak and you give too much information that the board can find other places in your application. Remember you need to be talking about what you have to offer the Navy, what would make you a good officer, and why you want to be an officer (which you answered in the first paragraph).

Thank you twobecrazy, I will see what else I can do to make the second part stronger.
I will also fix that first error on the first paragraph.