• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Montgomery GI Bill

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Yeah, what is this kicker about?

Just what was said, you can put in the extra $600 for an increase return. It can be done at any time in any increment. Also, it doesn't have to be done in the first year or anything.

FLY_USMC

pilot
I find it surprising no one has brought up the "save the JO" caveat to the GI Bill yet? You only aren't ineligible for the GI Bill if you decline it, ie sign the paper saying no you don' want it. WELL, when they give it to you, don't sign it, wait for a few years till $100/month isn't that much money out of your paycheck, and then sign it. Yeah, your OQR will have a blank GI Bill statement in it, and everytime it gets audited(thank god admin guys are lazy) some E-4 will call you up saying they need your signature, but there's nowhere saying you HAVE to sign it. Mine's been blank for a while, a friendly Sergeant filled me in on this little bit of gouge, and here before long, I'll sign it, but until then, save the money.

theduke

that sounds good, and it might (probably) work, but $100/month shouldn't strain a 2nd Lt/Ensign. I'd rather just get it over with and not have to worry about getting screwed for trying to exploit a loophole. i don't know about you, but i haven't had any problems getting uncle sam to screw me a few times when i didn't want him to. i sure as hell won't bend over for him.

now about this $600 thing...so i can pay $100/month for my first year of active service, then anytime before i get out, i can have $600 deducted from my pay and get a bigger MGIB payout? if so, how much bigger is the payout? that sounds sweet, because i don't know if i want to blow it all on flight training if i can't get reassigned as a pilot, or if i want to go to law school to help launch a political career.

Crowbar

None
WELL, when they give it to you, don't sign it, wait for a few years till $100/month isn't that much money out of your paycheck, and then sign it. ...but until then, save the money.

If as a new officer you don't have $100 of disposable income each month to give to the GI Bill, you need to reevalute your financial position...immediately. As a PFC I found the money and I'm glad as hell I did.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
If as a new officer you don't have $100 of disposable income each month to give to the GI Bill, you need to reevalute your financial position...immediately. As a PFC I found the money and I'm glad as hell I did.
If junior enlisted guys can find the money, JOs definately should be able to ...

Try living off this:

Attachments

• First LES.jpg
    First LES.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 58

Crowbar

None
That looks like some of my old paychecks. I remember living in Millington and getting something ridiculous like $200 or $300 for BAH (BAQ + VHA).

FLY_USMC

pilot
I think you're missing the point, whether you can afford $100 extra a month or not is pretty irrelevant, the fact is $100 off of 3-4000/month is a lot less detrimental than $100 off of $2000/month.

Crowbar

None
I think you're missing the point, whether you can afford $100 extra a month or not is pretty irrelevant, the fact is $100 off of 3-4000/month is a lot less detrimental than $100 off of $2000/month.

No, I get it. And like was said before, I didn't have to exploit some loophole to get my VA benefits. I'm not going to argue money with you, you've just proven that your financial advice is worth less than what comes from the Magic 8 Ball.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
now about this $600 thing...so i can pay $100/month for my first year of active service, then anytime before i get out, i can have $600 deducted from my pay and get a bigger MGIB payout? if so, how much bigger is the payout?

Now Don't quote me, check with PSD, but I"m pretty sure that the $600 extra gets you an added $5,400 at the end.

FLY_USMC

pilot
No, I get it. And like was said before, I didn't have to exploit some loophole to get my VA benefits. I'm not going to argue money with you, you've just proven that your financial advice is worth less than what comes from the Magic 8 Ball.

Enough of the cheap shots, dude you're a moderator, act like one.