• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Montgomery GI Bill

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Enough of the cheap shots, dude you're a moderator, act like one.

He does have a bit of a point. Attempting to game the system in this case isn't the best move in my opinion. You said before that you are going off a sergeant's interpretation of the rules regarding the bill in an effort to save $100 a month that you can afford but just chose not to spend on it. What are you going to do if the next person you deal with interprets things differently? Sometimes interpretations of rules vary from one PSD office to another.

theduke

What are you going to do if the next person you deal with interprets things differently?

that's the point i was driving at. it's not like you're gaining anything by putting it off. all you're doing is procrastinating and rolling the dice for no real potential payoff.

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
Even if you are ROTC Scholarship, you are eligible for the Reserve GI Bill if you join the Reserves. I was a ROTC graduate, joined the ANG and paid 60% of my 737 type rating using the Reserve GI Bill. All you owe is an additional 6 years to the Reserves/Guard for signing up.

theduke

question about the ANG...

i'd like to be a pilot for them if i get out of the USMC after my commitment, but i won't make the age cutoff for untrained pilots to join. do you know if they will let that slide for me being an NFO? i mean, i'm not a pilot (although i'll have my private pilot's license fairly soon), but i won't be a military aviation virgin, either.

Whalebite

It is not hard for 100$ to be alot of $ from 0-1 pay. How many PFC's have college loans? When you pay more for loans than the entire PFC's paycheck, 100$ can be alot.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
It is not hard for 100$ to be alot of $ from 0-1 pay. How many PFC's have college loans? When you pay more for loans than the entire PFC's paycheck, 100$ can be alot.
Dude, your college loans are over $1150 per month??? (That's base pay only for an E-1 under 4 months)

I sort of doubt that anybody's payments are that high.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Well, yes $100/mo can seem like a lot, that depends on how much you make it a priority (low priority= a lot, high priority = a little). Maybe that means getting a less expensive ensign mobile, or going out to eat/ drinking less, carpooling, or not getting the primo cable/internet package, living in the Q or only paying the minimum amount on your other loans in order to swing it. Bottom line is that from an investment (both financial and educational) standpoint its an easy decision to make- you come up with the $100/month because the returns are enourmous compared to the cost of the original investment.

If I had the oppertunity to turn 1200-1800 into garunteed tens of thousands of dollars I would jump on it. Even if that ment moving into the Q and living off cans of tuna, romen and pasta for a year or two to do it.

IMHO, anyone who gets this chance is a fool for not taking it. Even if they dont think they are ever going to use it now, what are they going to be saying if they ever want to go back to school to land a civilian career? What if it is made available for use by dependents?

theduke

most people are E-2 with more than 4 months in before or shortly after they start paying for the MGIB, anyway

Crowbar

None
most people are E-2 with more than 4 months in before or shortly after they start paying for the MGIB, anyway

Well hey there, Mr. Helper. Why don't you have a gander at VarmintShooter's LES above. It shows him being an E-1 with the GI Bill being taken out. Thanks for trying, though. I was a contract PFC otherwise I'd have old LESs showing the same thing.

Next?

Whalebite

Well I was a finance major, and you dont have to be to realise what a great thing the GI bill is, so I put in my 100 a month. A lot of things sap your paycheck in your first year, such as uniform bills, ouch!