• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Montgomery GI Bill

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Paycheck: you get 2 paychecks per month.
Dude, your college loans are over $575 per month??? (That's half base pay only for an E-1 under 4 months)

I sort of doubt that anybody's payments are that high.

Or are we going to figure taxes, SGLI, etc?

Edit: But that's not really the point anyway ... the point is that as an O-1, even after you've paid your student loan payments, you still take home a bunch more cash than an E-1. E-1 dude's are paying $100 per month and O-1's should have less trouble than E-1's. In some respects E-1's might have it easier ... they don't expect to come in and drop $30K on a car (or whatever you kids are spending these days). :)

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
The thing I liked about those old les's. They saved you the trouble of doing the math and told you what your daily pay was. Really sucked seeing it in the 28-35 dollar range :( So, as a brand new E-2 out of bootcamp I had to work 3.5 days to cover the GI bill. As an Ensign today you have to work....1.25 days to cover the cost.

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
I'm not entirely sure what the age cutoff is. I think we recently selected an individual for UPT and I think she is around 30-31. I may be wrong but 32 sticks in the mind for the cutoff age. I'm not sure if the details are selection and start before 32 or completion by 32. Also, some things they will waive but I have a good feeling that is not one of them. Best source would be a call to a ANG recruiter. I will send an email to my recruiter and see if I can come up with a more definitive answer.

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
Direct from the Recruiter

"He must enter UPT prior to his 30th birthday (he can turn 30 once he is there).

I think there are age waivers, up to 2 years, but I will tell you that unless there are very good reasons for not getting into UPT prior to age 30, NGB is not signing off on many of them."

Hope this helps

theduke

yeah, i just wondered if being a prior NFO would be good enough to get an age waiver for a couple of years.

mrh001

Can you start receiving payments from the GI Bill while still on active duty if you enter a graduate school program on your own time or do you have to have already retired from the service?

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Can you start receiving payments from the GI Bill while still on active duty if you enter a graduate school program on your own time or do you have to have already retired from the service?
I believe that you can use your GI bill while on active duty, but normally you will use Tuition Assistance instead.

Crowbar

None
Yes, you can use VA benefits while still on active duty. Due to the limitations on how long you can get them, most people opt for TA instead. The only times I've seen people use VA was back before TA was 100% and they just couldn't afford to cover the 25% cost of the classes they were taking. I don't know about STA-21, but for MECEP it specifically said that we couldn't use TA once we started college full time.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Yes you can receive payments from your GI bill while on active duty. However, you only receive a total of 36 payments from your GI bill. And, when you get a payment while on active duty it will not be the full payment. Unless you actually require that much. So, for the community college I was going to I only needed $600 after I had used up all of my TA. So, I would have used one of my 36 payments, but only getting about half of the payment. I guess it really depends on whether or not you can afford to pay for it yourself or if you really need the money from the GI bill. I was a single E-6 at the time so I could just use my own money.

And No, STA-21 can not use GI bill while in the program.